Where is the NRA?

I found the NRA.

"The Wyoming Attorney General’s Office, acting as counsel for Wyoming and 18 other states, filed an amicus brief on Wednesday asking the U.S. Supreme Court to grant a hearing in the case of Drake v. Jerejian, a New Jersey case which has at issue “(1) Whether the Second Amendment secures a right to carry handguns outside the home for self-defense; and (2) whether state officials violate the Second Amendment by requiring that individuals wishing to exercise their right to carry a handgun for self-defense first prove a “justifiable need” for doing so.” The Wyoming brief says that the 19 states are concerned . . .

that if the appeals court ruling stands, it could threaten their less restrictive concealed carry laws.” The NRA has also filed a brief in support of the case. The other states joining in the brief are Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, New Mexico, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota and West Virginia."

Of course those that are intent on proving they are the biggest NRA haters will ignore this post as they have about what the NRA did in California.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

So let me get this straight....19 states, including my own, have combined through their various AG offices to seek clarification of a previous lower appeals court case through petition to the Supreme Court, the N R A files a brief, but instead of the tax-payers of those 19 states getting the credit for bringing the appeal, you give the N R A the credit based only on a filed brief?

It would help if you'd give a link so whatever you're trying to say could be deciphered, because as far as I can tell, what I just said above is exactly what you're trying to say.

But as it turns out, and as is to be expected of N R A sycophants who wouldn't recognize accomplishments or legal challenges on behalf of our rights by any other .org than the N R A if it hit them in the face, please allow me to hit you in the face with regards to who is really behind the SCOTUS appeal - The Second Amendment Foundation - that's who. As it turns out, those 19 states are not the ones who brought the appeal to SCOTUS - SAF did - and the 19 states are joined by the N R A and several other groups in filing briefs in support of it. A far cry from the N R A actually doing something positive on its own for gun rights. Anyway, at that link you will find this:

On February 12, 2014, a 19 states, 34 members of congress and a number of other groups filed amicus briefs supporting SAF’s petition at the Supreme Court.

Why is it that people are so thoroughly blinded by the acronym "N R A?" One search on only the words "Drake vs. Jerejian" produced that SAF link that proves that the N R A has done nothing but file a brief in support of an SAF case. If the N R A is actually out there taking credit for it, rather than just their sycophantic members thinking that no one will notice the inaccuracy of the assertion if they post it on internet forums, then even that wouldn't be unpredictable - the N R A spent thousands on advertising making it sound like they brought Heller too, but guess who actually brought Heller? That's right, SAF! Do just a tiny bit of research before posting half-truths for cryin' out loud!

Regarding the 9th Circuit ruling, as further reading and analysis of the CA ruling has proven, one doesn't have to be the "biggest N R A hater" to see that the ruling doesn't do much at all except for make the San Diego Sheriff jump through one or two extra hoops to deny carriers their rights, which I have little doubt he will do enthusiastically.

I don't know about anyone else, but I refrained from commenting on your assertion that the CA ruling was an N R A-backed effort only because it became apparent that the ruling is very nearly meaningless to gun owners who want to carry in CA regardless of who backed it, and that even includes in the one jurisdiction to which the ruling applies, San Diego. It wasn't worth arguing about so I left you to your delusion that the N R A has won anything significant for Californians.

Keep trying Warbirds. One day, you might actually get something right when your knee is jerking to defend the N R A with false information.

Blues

Well damnn, all I had to do to get you to acknowledge my California posted was to prove you wrong. You can try to minimize other people's work while trying to make people think you have done something. You mention it was your state as if you did something.

It is worth mentioning twice that your minimizations of the 9th court ruling truly is pathetic. No other states had been so hard core anti for so long, all this crap in NY, NJ, Colorado and other states pales in comparison to what California has endured for so long. And yet to you think is nothing. I think your pathetic ego can't take the fact that you are wrong, whatever caused your butt hurt with the NRA you can't be a man and drop it. That's sad.

You call my assertions false, prove it. I have read the letter from the lead plaintiff in the 9th circuit case, I know he gave credit to the NRA, your own links show the NRA is I golfed in NJ. You are lying because it turns out your opinions are worthless and the NRA who you wish so hard to defame is doing so much more than you are. And your ego can't handle it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Well damnn, all I had to do to get you to acknowledge my California posted was to prove you wrong. You can try to minimize other people's work while trying to make people think you have done something. You mention it was your state as if you did something.

It is worth mentioning twice that your minimizations of the 9th court ruling truly is pathetic. No other states had been so hard core anti for so long, all this crap in NY, NJ, Colorado and other states pales in comparison to what California has endured for so long. And yet to you think is nothing. I think your pathetic ego can't take the fact that you are wrong, whatever caused your butt hurt with the NRA you can't be a man and drop it. That's sad.

You call my assertions false, prove it. I have read the letter from the lead plaintiff in the 9th circuit case, I know he gave credit to the NRA, your own links show the NRA is I golfed in NJ. You are lying because it turns out your opinions are worthless and the NRA who you wish so hard to defame is doing so much more than you are. And your ego can't handle it.

Blues post had nothing to do with what he himself had done, but where credit is deserved. SAF deserves the credit, not the N R A, not blues, not you, not I...but SAF.

Blues did prove it through his links...nothing in your post has any source.

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

Blues post had nothing to do with what he himself had done, but where credit is deserved. SAF deserves the credit, not the N R A, not blues, not you, not I...but SAF.

Blues did prove it through his links...nothing in your post has any source.

From the plaintiff in the ninth circuit case.
A message of thanks from Edward Peruta - Calguns.net

About the NRA brief Blues gave a link himself.

So Chen, satisfied?

You call my assertions false, prove it.

You are out there, Warbirds. Pay attention, this only applies to Drake v. Jerejian, and is the only thing I accused you of spreading false information about. Prove it? No problem. Look at this link and tell everybody who is listed as a Petitioner. If you give credit to the N R A for bringing that case, then it will mean one of two things; either you couldn't be bothered to read only the very first lines of the actual Writ of Certiorari petition that I just linked for you, or you have no problem ignoring the proof and continuing to spread false information. Up to you what you do in that regard, but literally no other option exists. Read it and it is proven beyond any shadow of a doubt, Drake is an SAF case, not an N R A case.

I have read the letter from the lead plaintiff in the 9th circuit case, I know he gave credit to the NRA

Now you're defending against an allegation that I have not made. I looked into it when you said that the CA case was "N R A backed" and found that same phrase several times, so I left it alone. 'Course that was in another thread, and if you went back to that thread and read all of my and Rhino's posts about the ruling, you'd find that I'm right in this thread - that ruling does next to nothing for CA gun owners. If you have more accusations to level about that, do it there, I've allowed you to pull this thread astray too many times already.

your own links show the NRA is I golfed [out golfing?] [swimming in the Gulf of Mexico?] [engulfed in gun-control proposals?] in NJ.

I'll take a wild stab at it and assume the typo should've said "involved." Never claimed otherwise. You, on the other hand, seemed to imply with your squirrely no-link "citation" in your previous post, that the N R A's involvement somehow trumped 19 states' involvement, and BTW, 34 Congress-critters' involvement, the CATO Institute's involvement and the rest that, yes, my "own" link shows to be the case. And another significant "BTW" is that saying you "found the N R A" doing something in NJ was a complete non-existent possibility on the day that the OP posted his original inquiry, because as it clearly states at "my own link," neither the N R A, the 19 states, or any other of the above list of people and groups that filed Friends of the Court briefs were involved at all before February 12, 2014. This thread started on 2/10/14, so Whoopie! The N R A managed to write a freakin' letter on behalf of NJ gun owners two days after the OP wondered where the heck they were in NJ!

Like I said Warbirds, do just a tiny bit of research before posting false information. Drake et al, represented by Alan Gura, lead attorney for the SAF in Heller, McDonald and now Drake et al, began, is still, and will end one way or another, as a Second Amendment Foundation case. You could write a freakin' letter to the court in support of it and do as much as the N R A has done! Quit being a sycophant.

You are lying because it turns out your opinions are worthless and the NRA who you wish so hard to defame is doing so much more than you are. And your ego can't handle it.

Wow. So how is it that I could be lying when it was I who posted the link telling you exactly what N R A's involvement in Drake actually is?

And here's a little lesson in economics that should make perfect sense to you. You claim that you are "doing something" by sending dues and whatever other monies you send to N R A, right? If that's true, and all the N R A has done in Drake is write a freakin' letter, then I've done exactly "as much" as you have by paying taxes to support my state's AG who also just wrote a freakin' letter to the court!

Face it, N R A was on the wrong side of Heller, they elbowed their way into McDonald and argued a less-literal view of the 2A than Gura did - and thankfully, Gura came out on top - and they haven't done a damned thing of any consequence in NJ until two days ago when it wrote a letter in support of another important SAF case! And if you buy writing a letter as being "of consequence," then you're spreading more falsehoods, because I write letters to my legislators multiple times per week and can prove that too.

You're completely out of gas on this one.

Blues

Not really...I thought this thread was about New Jersey not California.

I know blues posted his sources, he does 99% of the time...should I just wait for him to post the sources for you?

The thread turned into crocodile tears about the NRA doing nothing until they want money around election time. So this must be the 1% where he can't post a source to back that up. Too bad, it sounds like you are part of the butt hurt brigade as well.

The thread turned into crocodile tears about the NRA doing nothing until they want money around election time. So this must be the 1% where he can't post a source to back that up. Too bad, it sounds like you are part of the butt hurt brigade as well.

Every one of his posts in this thread has sources linking to the information he is presenting. So far, you have posted a link about a case that has nothing to do with this thread (about New Jersey).

There is a reason I back blues up in so many threads, he knows what he's talking about because he shows us his work...and sadly your work too.

N R A blows, I'm not butt hurt about that because I didn't waste my money on them. Side effect of being an N R A member seems to be diarrhea of the mouth. Just another reason to avoid them.

The thread turned into crocodile tears about the NRA doing nothing until they want money around election time.

I didn't say a word about election time fund-raiser or membership drives.

So this must be the 1% where he can't post a source to back that up.

It's up to me to back up what other people say? Well, in your case, it's definitely up to me to debunk what you say, which I'm doing again right here and right now. Quit telling lies about me, quit being a sycophant, and do a tiny bit of research before you post more false information!

And get a real computer for cryin' out loud!

Blues

Every one of his posts in this thread has sources linking to the information he is presenting. So far, you have posted a link about a case that has nothing to do with this thread (about New Jersey).

There is a reason I back blues up in so many threads, he knows what he's talking about because he shows us his work...and sadly your work too.

N R A blows, I'm not butt hurt about that because I didn't waste my money on them. Side effect of being an N R A member seems to be diarrhea of the mouth. Just another reason to avoid them.

Here you go Chen. Here is who brought California and other states into the discussion.

It has always seemed incongruous to me that so many gun-owners in jurisdictions where their rights are all but denied by the state, seem to think that the N R A is effective at protecting their rights. If they were effective, then how would their rights get so thoroughly trampled upon like they are in NJ, CT, NY, MD, CA, DC, IL, and several other highly-restrictive states, as well as somewhat lesser ways of trampling in all but maybe three or four states in the nation? I've heard too much "reasonable gun-control" speak from the N R A to send them my money. I stick with JPFO, GOA and SAF as far as sending financial support to, and like Bikenut alluded to, there are things we all should be doing on an individual basis too. I write letters, talk to my legislators, attend demonstrations etc.

Blues

And to make sure you don't miss it, there is no source and it has been refuted. So I have shown you my work and shown you his. So just who has diarrhea of the mouth?

Here you go Chen. Here is who brought California and other states into the discussion.

And to make sure you don't miss it, there is no source and it has been refuted. So I have shown you my work and shown you his. So just who has diarrhea of the mouth?

Are you lost? This is a thread about New Jersey in the the New Jersey sub forum. This isn't CA or Hawaii. Even yet, when you tried to prove blues wrong you didn't even understand his argument about CA. Great, the N R A was involved in another meaningless case in a losing state, probably why the N R A took it. It took 30 minutes to go through blues links to see CA is lost and nothing will change, and that New Jersey is an SAF case. It took me only 10 seconds to read your post and see that was a dead end.

Now, stick to New Jersey, and how the N R A is the leech stuck to the SAF's butt cheek.

Are you lost? This is a thread about New Jersey in the the New Jersey sub forum. This isn't CA or Hawaii. Even yet, when you tried to prove blues wrong you didn't even understand his argument about CA. Great, the N R A was involved in another meaningless case in a losing state, probably why the N R A took it. It took 30 minutes to go through blues links to see CA is lost and nothing will change, and that New Jersey is an SAF case. It took me only 10 seconds to read your post and see that was a dead end.

Now, stick to New Jersey, and how the N R A is the leech stuck to the SAF's butt cheek.

The thread is discussing the N (space) R (space) A.
You know the NRA.
Ever heard of them? The NRA I mean?
You can try to narrow the conversation instead of being a man and admitting you were wrong, but apparently that is too much to expect. I gave you a source of your favorite buddy who brought into doubt what the NRA is doing in other states. Did you forget to read that? Meaningless case in a losing state, I'm going to translate that to "you got me there, but my pride is in the way of me admitting it". You call California a lost cause, the lost cause is you and blues. And I used to think you were a decent person.

I didn't say a word about election time fund-raiser or membership drives.

It's up to me to back up what other people say? Well, in your case, it's definitely up to me to debunk what you say, which I'm doing again right here and right now. Quit telling lies about me, quit being a sycophant, and do a tiny bit of research before you post more false information!

And get a real computer for cryin' out loud!

Blues

It's a phone, one that doesn't involve turning a crank to get Marge to connect you. Some of us leave the house.

The thread is discussing the N (space) R (space) A.
You know the NRA.
Ever heard of them? The NRA I mean?
You can try to narrow the conversation instead of being a man and admitting you were wrong, but apparently that is too much to expect. I gave you a source of your favorite buddy who brought into doubt what the NRA is doing in other states. Did you forget to read that? Meaningless case in a losing state, I'm going to translate that to "you got me there, but my pride is in the way of me admitting it". You call California a lost cause, the lost cause is you and blues. And I used to think you were a decent person.

The thread is discussing the N R A in New Jersey in the New Jersey sub forum. You forgot the last part, which narrows it down itself without my help.

You can translate whatever you wish. As an N R A member I wouldn't expect less of such a "decent" person to try change the meaning of a sentence to jump on a bandwagon, not much different than the N R A itself.

The thread is discussing the N R A in New Jersey in the New Jersey sub forum. You forgot the last part, which narrows it down itself without my help.

You can translate whatever you wish. As an N R A member I wouldn't expect less of such a "decent" person to try change the meaning of a sentence to jump on a bandwagon, not much different than the N R A itself.

Your boy opened the door to making CA relevant to the discussion. It's sad your argument is solely focused on trying to close it. Your boy made it relevant and you lose.

Here is the worst part.

Great, the N R A was involved in another meaningless case in a losing state, probably why the N R A took it.

You showed your true colors. Is New jersey the next state you write off as a lost cause? I wonder what the people here that know you are so willing to write them off think of you now. Why don't you go back to arguing that OC is better than CC instead of commenting real issues.

Your boy opened the door to making CA relevant to the discussion. It's sad your argument is solely focused on trying to close it. Your boy made it relevant and you lose.

Here is the worst part.

You showed your true colors. Is New jersey the next state you write off as a lost cause? I wonder what the people here that know you are so willing to write them off think of you now. Why don't you go back to arguing that OC is better than CC instead of commenting real issues.

I'll stand next to blues, someone who actually puts work into his information, and doesn't copy and paste off of an email, any day.

If you had ever followed me on my stance on our freedoms you would know I believe in individual responsibility. I'm not here to save your or anyone's freedom and rights, never have been. No surprise though, seeing as you failed so miserably on every point blues countered, it's obvious research is not a strong suit.

As was said before...

Keep trying Warbirds. One day, you might actually get something right when your knee is jerking to defend the N R A with false information.

Blues

I'll stand next to blues, someone who actually puts work into his information, and doesn't copy and paste off of an email, any day.

If you had ever followed me on my stance on our freedoms you would know I believe in individual responsibility. I'm not here to save your or anyone's freedom and rights, never have been. No surprise though, seeing as you failed so miserably on every point blues countered, it's obvious research is not a strong suit.

As was said before...

And there lies the problem, with you it's ego. My source, the first was the guy that filed the lawsuit and calguns, the group that has been fighting in court for years. Yet the 30 minutes you spent reading through blues cut and pastes made you an expert. That was source one, the second was a quick blurb from the truthaboutguns blog, but that doesn't matter because blues sourced the exact thing I said. You know blues, my second source don't you, the guy you are happily holding hands with and skipping into delusional valley?

So are you writing off New Jersey like you did California or not? I'm sure the people here want to know. And if you aren't here to "save me or my rights" why are you here? Can't stand to see the other half of the pathetic duo proven wrong?

Sorry if you were expecting people to bow down and fawn over your supposed greatness, but you brought nothing to the table except for a man crush on blues.

Your boy opened the door to making CA relevant to the discussion.

You know, I have seen obstinate morons come and go, but you take the freakin' cake.

In the post to which you refer that supposedly makes the 9th Circuit ruling "relevant," I made passing mention of CA in the exact same context as I was commenting on NJ with the OP about. There was no mention of the 9th Circuit ruling at all. But the kicker is that you don't even know why there was no mention of it. Are you ready? It hadn't happened yet! The ruling was published on 2/13/14. That post was made on 2/10/14. So how could I be responsible for making something relevant in this thread that hadn't even happened yet?

Now I gotta say, quit telling lies about me, quit being a sycophant, do a tiny bit of research before you post more false information, and quit being a freakin' obstinate imbecile!

Blues

You know, I have seen obstinate morons come and go, but you take the freakin' cake.
If you need to know if a pot is black the biggest loudmouth kettle would know. Just happens you are wrong this time.... again.
In the post to which you refer that supposedly makes the 9th Circuit ruling "relevant," I made passing mention of CA in the exact same context as I was commenting on NJ with the OP about. There was no mention of the 9th Circuit ruling at all. But the kicker is that you don't even know why there was no mention of it. Are you ready? It hadn't happened yet! The ruling was published on 2/13/14. That post was made on 2/10/14. So how could I be responsible for making something relevant in this thread that hadn't even happened yet?

Now I gotta say, quit telling lies about me, quit being a sycophant, do a tiny bit of research before you post more false information, and quit being a freakin' obstinate imbecile!

Blues
It has always seemed incongruous to me that so many gun-owners in jurisdictions where their rights are all but denied by the state, seem to think that the N R A is effective at protecting their rights. If they were effective, then how would their rights get so thoroughly trampled upon like they are in NJ, CT, NY, MD, CA, DC, IL, and several other highly-restrictive states, as well as somewhat lesser ways of trampling in all but maybe three or four states in the nation?
You posted this on 2/10/14. The lawsuit was filed in something like Feb 2010. So where was the NRA? They were in court. All because you are ignorant of what is going on, does not mean it is not happening. Key word ignorant. (ignorant and imbecile are your words, and very accurate at describing your attitude)
And are you going to stop ignoring this?
Here's a list of cases in New Jersey that the NRA is helping fund:

Civil Rights Legal Defense Fund - Current Litigation
Since you tend to ignore that what proves your ignorance I will help you "find the N (space) R (space) A ..... aka NRA. They unlike Chen have not abandoned the people of New Jersey. Enjoy the read.

Association of New Jersey Rifle & Pistol Clubs v. Christie (New Jersey). On January 17, 2010, a complaint and request for injunctive relief were filed in U.S. District Court challenging the newly enacted one handgun purchase per month law. Among other things, under New Jersey law traditional B-B, pellet, and air pistols are included in the definition of handgun. This is preempted by federal law, 15 U.S. Code § 5001. The defendants filed their motion to dismiss. The defendants then filed an opposition to the plaintiffs' motion for a preliminary injunction. On March 23, 2010, the association filed a brief in opposition to the state's motion to dismiss. On April 6, 2010, the association filed its reply brief in further support of its motion for a preliminary injunction. A second amended complaint was filed on October 1, 2010. The defendants filed their motion and brief to dismiss the amended complaint on January 20, 2011. The defendants filed their opposition to injunctive relief on January 21, 2011. Plaintiffs filed their brief in support of summary judgment on March 11, 2011. The state filed its opposition on April 5, 2011. The plaintiffs filed their reply to the state's opposition on July 5, 2011. Oral argument occurred on October 12, 2011. The court ruled in favor of the defendants on February 2, 2012. A notice of appeal was filed on March 2, 2012. Appellants opening appellate brief was filed on June 4, 2012, in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit. The court held on January 30, 2013, that state law merely regulated and did not prohibit B-B, pellet, and air guns; thus the federal law did not preempt state law. The denial of injunctive relief was upheld.
Gregg C. Revell & N.J. Rifle and Pistol Clubs, Inc. (New Jersey). He is a resident of Utah with a Utah license to carry a pistol. He was transporting his firearm in compliance with the law when he arrived at the airport and declared the firearm as required by law. This is a case where the arrested man's conduct was clearly not criminal under 18 U.S. Code § 926A. Consequently, charges were dismissed. However, his property was not returned and he needlessly spent time in jail. A civil rights action was filed, under 42 U.S. Code § 1983, in the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey on January 27, 2006. Counsel informed on September 12, 2008, that Mr. Revell's firearm and other property were eventually returned to him. The trial court dismissed Mr. Revell's complaint on March 31, 2009, based on qualified immunity and based on a view that the federal law did not protect him because he spent one night in a hotel when he missed his flight. Revell v. Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, 2009 WL 901855 (D.N.J. March 31, 2009). An appeal was filed by Mr. Revell. The trial court's dismissal of the complaint by the Association of New Jersey Rifle & Pistol Clubs, Inc., based on lack of standing and denying motion for leave to amend, was reversed on April 1, 2009, by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit. Revell v. Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, 2009 WL 840549 (U.S. Ct. App. 3d Cir., April 1, 2009). Oral argument occurred on January 26, 2010, in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit. On March 22, 2010, the court agreed that Mr. Revell found himself in a difficult predicament through no fault of his own. However, relief was denied because his conduct did not fit § 926A because of the overnight stay in the hotel, and thus there was probable cause to arrest. Revell v. Port Authority, 598 F.3d 128 (3d Cir. 2010). A petition for a writ of certiorari was filed in the U.S. Supreme Court and denied on January 18, 2011: 131 S.Ct. 995 (2011). The separate lawsuit by the Association of New Jersey Rifle and Pistol Clubs, Inc., was denied. The court held that § 926A did not create a right to relief under 42 U.S. Code § 1983. It further held § 926A means "that an ambulatory plaintiff who intends to transit through Newark Airport is outside the coverage of the statute." The concurring opinion stated § 926A is not restricted to vehicular travel. Association of New Jersey Rifle and Pistol Clubs, Inc. v. Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, 2013 U.S. App. LEXIS 19037 (U.S. Ct. App. 3d Cir., Sept. 13, 2013).
SARCO, Inc. (New Jersey). Counsel informed on January 14, 2009, SARCO has been in the business of firearm wholesaler and retailer for 47 years. It has 40 employees. Inspections by BATF and the state have been satisfactory in the past. Now the state moved to revoke its license. The problem surfaced when it was discovered a rogue SARCO employee stole firearms from SARCO. The missing firearms resulted in a deficient state inspection. Thereafter, the State Police found and arrested this rogue employee and were able to recover most of the firearms. SARCO was accused of inadequate supervision of employees and inadequate inventory control. SARCO was denied relief in the superior court. The case was appealed to the Superior Court Appellate Division. On April 13, 2011, the court upheld the revocation of the license. The denial of a renewal application has nothing to do with the character or integrity of the applicant or its officers. Any conduct that may present a danger to the public constitutes sufficient grounds for a denial. In re SARCO, 2011 WL 1376286. The corporation subsequently moved to Pennsylvania.

Brian D. Aitken (New Jersey). He has been charged with violating state law banning the possession of a large capacity magazine (more than 15 rounds). He has also been charged with unlawful possession of a handgun and hallow‑point ammunition. The property was found in the trunk of his car. The firearms were unloaded. He was moving from Colorado. His defense attorney claims he has defenses to the charges, including a federal law defense (18 U.S. Code  926A). At the jury trial the judge made several adverse rulings on the admissibility of evidence. Mr. Aitken was convicted for possession of hollow point ammunition, possession of a handgun without a permit, and possession of a large capacity magazine. On August 27, 2010, he was sentenced to 7 years in prison, even though he has no prior convictions. The conviction was appealed. On January 20, 2011, the governor of New Jersey commuted his sentence to time served. An appeal was filed in the Appellate Division of the New Jersey Superior Court. The court on March 30, 2012, reversed the conviction on all counts except the possession of hollow point ammunition count. It held that the moving exception applied to the gun possession count, but not to the ammunition count, and that there was a lack of proof on the large capacity magazine count. The New Jersey Supreme Court on September 4, 2013, denied discretionary review.
Arthur Sutphen (New Jersey). Mr. Sutphen was hospitalized for mental health reasons. He is being divorced. His wife got a restraining order against him. His firearms and firearms purchaser identification card were seized. The restraining order was later dismissed. However, his wife testified at the hearing for return of his firearms and firearms purchaser identification card that he was suicidal and that she feared him. He submitted a letter from a doctor stating that he was not a danger to himself or others. The state had no medical or mental health expert to testify about his mental disability. Nonetheless, his motion for return of property was denied after the hearing. At the hearing he appeared pro se. He subsequently obtained the services of an attorney. He appealed to the Superior Court of New Jersey Appellate Division. On February 6, 2012, the court reversed the decision of the trial court. It held he appeared pro se at the hearing in the trial court and was misled into relying on the uncertified letter of his psychiatrist as it pertained to his fitness to possess firearms. He should not have been deprived of fair notice that the state would not accept his doctor's letter as satisfying the statutory requirement. The court sent the case back to the trial court to reopen the hearing and permit Mr. Sutphen to present evidence of his fitness to possess firearms.

Michael LaForte (New Jersey). He is a retired police officer who sought a mental health expungement. Following retirement, he voluntarily admitted himself for psychiatric treatment. He was discharged after a week and received outpatient treatment. The pleadings for expungement were accompanied by a doctor's certification attesting that Mr. LaForte has shown no difficulties in control of his behaviors and has shown good responsibilities in control of his moods, behaviors, and action. At the hearing the psychiatrist testified that Mr. LaForte is not a threat to himself or anybody else and he saw no impediment to his ownership of firearms. The superior court denied relief because relief would restore his right to keep and bear arms. Mr. LaForte appealed to the Superior Court of New Jersey Appellate Division. On February 8, 2012, the court held that the purpose of the medical expungement statute was to return the former patient to the same position he would have been before hospitalization. The intent of the expungement statute was to eliminate any stigmas that might attach to a person who was in a psychiatric hospital. The trial court ignored the provisions of the statute. The denial of expungement premised upon a possible future firearms acquisition application is erroneous. After remand to the superior court, that court issued an order on June 8, 2012, granting the mental health expungement.
Harry Barbosa (New Jersey). He was denied firearms purchaser identification card and a handgun purchaser's permit based on the interest of public health, safety, or welfare. The trial court and the appellate division upheld the denials. He sought discretionary review in the New Jersey Supreme Court. The court denied review on September 9, 2011.
Stephen M. Siebert (New Jersey). He was pardoned by the Governor of New Jersey for petty offenses that occurred 32 years ago. His application to acquire a firearm under New Jersey law was denied by the police chief. He raised the Second Amendment. Counsel informed on August 18, 2011, that the case was successfully appealed to the Passaic County Superior Court.
Justin Blasko (New Jersey). Counsel informed in an August 9, 2011, letter Mr. Blasko's firearms were seized pursuant to a search warrant. The trial court refused to return them to Mr. Blasko because it would not be in the interest of public health, safety and welfare. The firearms were in his apartment unsecured when a maintenance man entered and saw the firearms and an alligator. The case was appealed to the Appellate Division of the New Jersey Superior Court. June 22, 2012, the court reversed the trial courts decision. It held that under the U.S. Supreme Court's Heller and McDonald decisions a person has a Second Amendment right to keep firearm ready for use. The court held that we conclude the trial judge erred as a matter of law in concluding it would violate public health, safety and welfare if Blasko possessed firearms because ... he stored his firearms in a negligent manner. In re Blasko, 2012 N.J. Super. Unpub. LEXIS 1466. On November 14, 2012, the Superior Court issued an order that Mr. Blasko "has developed no disqualification to firearm since the matter was last heard" and ordered that his firearms purchaser identification card be returned to him or that a new one be issued and that all property seized be returned to him.
Tommy Fry (New Jersey). Counsel informed in a December 19, 2011, letter that Mr. Fry is charged under New Jersey law with possessing a handgun without a permit. He has a Florida permit to carry a pistol. His unloaded pistol was locked inside a gun box and the gun box was locked a hard luggage compartment attached to the motorcycle. Ammunition for the pistol was found locked separately. Hence, he seems to be in compliance with 18 U.S. Code  926A, the federal interstate transportation of firearms safe harbor. The court placed him for one year in pretrial intervention program. At the end of one year charges will be dismissed.

Shawn Johnson (New Jersey). On the night of May 10, 2011, four trespassers, one armed with a machete, entered his back yard where he was barbequing. On seeing Mr. Johnson's rifle the trespassers ran. Mr. Johnson possesses a New Jersey firearms purchaser identification card. He purchased the rifle from a gun dealer in New Jersey. The rifle was not modified in any way. Nonetheless, he was charged with possessing an assault rifle under New Jersey law. He was also charged with aggravated assault and possession of a firearm for an unlawful purpose. The intruders were not charged. The issues were self-defense and whether the rifle is within the definition of an assault rifle under New Jersey law. Counsel informed on June 18, 2012, that all charges were dismissed and the rifle was returned to Mr. Johnson.
Daniel Picorelli (New Jersey). Counsel informed in a January 29, 2012, letter that Mr. Picorelli has no criminal convictions or any other disqualification to possess a firearm. In the past a former girl friend attempted to get a restraining order against him. It was denied after a full hearing. However, he was denied firearm purchaser identification card and handgun purchase permit based on the statutory reason for the interest of public health, safety, and welfare. The superior court suggested he could reapply in a few years. Interesting balancing and rational basis standards for the denial of the right to keep and bear arms are in conflict with the U.S. Supreme Court's decisions in Heller and McDonald. He will appeal.
John Vogel (New Jersey). Counsel informed on August 26, 2011, that Mr. Vogel was charged with possessing an assault firearm and possessing a shotgun without a New Jersey firearms purchaser identification card. He was target shooting, which requires no firearms purchaser identification card, and the shotgun is not a so-called assault firearm. Counsel informed on May 24, 2012, that the prosecutor agreed that the shotgun is not a so-called assault firearm. However, the prosecutor still filed a charge of possessing a shotgun without a New Jersey firearms purchaser identification card. Mr. Vogel agreed to a plea deal that would place him on noncustodial probation. His main concern was to avoid the possibility of a mandatory prison sentence if convicted.
Paul Fredricks (New Jersey). Counsel informed in a December 16, 2011, letter that Mr. Fredricks receives treatment for post traumatic stress disorder from the VA. He has a New Jersey firearm purchaser identification card. His application for permits to purchase handguns was denied because he failed to acknowledge mental health treatment on a previous application. The claim is that he cannot be denied his right to arms based on an application error.
Boris Bell (New Jersey). He was subjected to the revocation of his firearm purchaser identification card and forfeiture of firearms based on the statutory ground of being in the interest of public health, safety, and welfare. Purely political sarcasm taken out of context was the reason for this action. The psychiatrist who examined him, and found nothing wrong with Mr. Bell, noted in his written report that "[t]hough we have freedom of speech in this county [sic] Mr. Bell is advised to avoid discussing politics with people he is unfamiliar with." A contested hearing occurred and, fortunately, Mr. Bell prevailed. Counsel so informed on April 11, 2012.
Neal Ercolano (New Jersey). Counsel informed on April 11, 2012, that a restraining order against Mr. Ercolano was dissolved by the court. Nonetheless, the police chief denied his application for a firearms purchaser identification card based on an erroneous reading of the statute. The police chief erroneously held that Mr. Ercolano would have to wait two years once the restraining order is dismissed. An appeal was filed in the Hunterdon County Superior Court. On December 18, 2012, the court issued an order granting Mr. Ercolano's application for a firearms purchaser identification card and for two permits to purchase a handgun.
Keith Pantaleon (New Jersey). The police entered his apartment without a warrant and without consent on January 24, 2013. His upstairs neighbor allegedly complained to police about the landlord providing insufficient heat. The boiler for the building is adjacent to the kitchen area of Mr. Pantaleon's residence. Police insisted that the landlord open Mr. Pantaleon's residence on their behalf despite the extremely late hour and lack of consent by Mr. Pantaleon. Police then discovered firearms in his home. Mr. Pantaleon is charged under New Jersey law with possessing a so-called assault rifle, a so-called high capacity magazine, and unlawful possession of ammunition.
Michael Myers (New Jersey). He submitted an application for a New Jersey firearms purchaser identification card and for permit to purchase a handgun. The statute requires a denial or approval within 30 days. However, after 10 months no action has been taken on the applications. A lawsuit was filed in superior court. The state capitulated and convinced the chief of police to issue the permits. On November 21, 2012, Mr. Myers received his permits.
Joseph Squillace (New Jersey). In 1994 he was subject to a restraining order from his wife and mother‑in‑law resulting from divorce proceedings. Both orders have been dismissed. His firearms were not returned to him. He applied for a firearms purchaser identification card. He was denied based on domestic violence history and because his firearms were seized and not returned to him. He has no criminal convictions. The matter is on appeal according to counsel's letter of October 19, 2012.
Eric Lundvall (New Jersey). Case No. 2013‑3. He submitted an application for a New Jersey permit to purchase a handgun. The statute requires a denial or approval within 30 days. However, after 10 months no action has been taken on the application. A lawsuit was filed in superior court. The state capitulated, and on September 25, 2012, Mr. Lundvall received his permits.
Arturo Santos‑Martin (New Jersey). He submitted an application for a New Jersey firearms purchaser identification card and for permit to purchase a handgun. He has no criminal convictions. However, he was denied for reasons based on Apublic health, safety and welfare.@ An appeal was filed in court according to counsel's letter of January 22, 2013.
Richard Pascal (New Jersey). The issue is whether a New York relief from felony disability has to be honored in New Jersey. There is a helpful case from Pennsylvania, which was provided to Mr. Pascal's lawyer. A New York court's granting a person a certificate of relief from disability, including application for pistol permit, would be honored by a Pennsylvania court. The court held that where the convicting jurisdiction deems the conviction no longer a conviction for purposes of firearms disability, the Pennsylvania State Police has no discretion to deem otherwise. Consequently, the Pennsylvania State Police was ordered to amend the person's criminal history record in order to afford him relief from firearms disability. His application for a permit to purchase a pistol was denied on June 20, 2013. An appeal has been filed in the superior court.
Richard Pantano (New Jersey). This is a permit to carry case. The police chief supported him. However, he lost in the superior court and in the appellate division of the superior court. In re Pantano, 429 N.J. Super. 478, 60 A.3d 507 (App. Div. 2013). He is seeking review in the New Jersey Supreme Court. The court agreed to review the case.
Zigmunt Krawczyk (New Jersey). He submitted an application for a firearm purchaser identification card and for a handgun purchase permit. He complied with all the requirements of state law. He is not prohibited by state or federal law to acquire firearms. However, the locality wanted him to fill out an additional municipal form. He declined to do so because state law preempts the field. The trial court upheld the requirement to fill out the added municipal form. Counsel informed in an August 5, 2013, letter that a notice of appeal was filed in the Superior Court Appellate Division.
Evan Daire (New Jersey). He is 18 years old, a high school graduate, student pilot, and has no record of disciplinary action or misbehavior. He submitted an application for a firearm purchaser identification card. The investigating officer reported that he is immature. His application was denied under New Jersey's catch all provision that the issuance would not be in the best interest of "public health, safety and welfare." An appeal hearing occurred on September 16, 2013. The superior court ordered that the card be issued.
Pejman Rohani (New Jersey). He is a licensed physician and surgeon. He submitted an application for a firearm purchaser identification card and for a handgun purchase permit. He has two decade old criminal complaints which did not result in a conviction. He listed them on the application. His application was denied under New Jersey's catch all provision that the issuance would not be in the best interest of "public health, safety and welfare." Counsel informed in an August 22, 2013, letter that an appeal will be filed in Superior Court Appellate Division.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back