Why Do You Carry Concealed?

I will echo most thoughts that have been expressed. I carry because I can and would much rather have the protection and not need it than to live with the wishing I would have had it. Personal protection is just that personal.

Here's an article/question I posted.

So let's here, why do you carry concealed?
The element of surprise is crucial to me. I don't want anyone knowing I carry a gun. An old friend and retired Pittsburgh police officer, long since passed away, related a story to me that really demonstrates why you don't want to be identified by the bad guy as being armed. He was off duty, carrying his off duty gun concealed, and shopping at a local grocery store. Presently, a couple of goblins appeared, shoved a gun in the clerk's face, and demanded money. A woman who knew my friend, Red, shouted:" Dammit, Red, you're a cop. Do something." Fortunately for Red, the robber heard the word "cop" and ran like the wind. He told me he didn't know whether to shoot his noisy neighbor, or kick her ass right there on the spot.

i carry concealed because im afraid not to. when you have gray hair its the same as having a bullseye tatoo'd on you.
you are a target of oportunity to every street urchin on the planet.

I have been licensed to CC in one state for many years. Now retired and traveling through out the US in an RV. With four State licenses and reciprocity, I am now licensed in over thirty states.

Traveling in an RV makes you a target. Staying in road side rests, Walmart parking lots and questionable RV parks increases the size of the target. When you arrive at an unfamiliar city and do not know the "bad" areas, it increases that target even more.

Our chances of defending ourselves and our property have increased to the point that CC is a way of life.

Well, I plan on owning guns anyway, so I figure why not carry them just in case you need one for protection. Also, don't CWFLs allow you to skip the NICS check?

Nope. Still have to go through the instant check. Actually what I should have said is that when I lived in NH some years ago, I still filled out paperwork and went through the NCIC instant check. One can never be to careful!
Now that I live in Vermont, even though there is no requirement to carry open or concealed, I still have to do the paperwork and the NCIC check.

Nics check

Nope. Still have to go through the instant check. Actually what I should have said is that when I lived in NH some years ago, I still filled out paperwork and went through the NCIC instant check. One can never be to careful!
Now that I live in Vermont, even though there is no requirement to carry open or concealed, I still have to do the paperwork and the NCIC check.

In Ark they ask for my permit and within mins I pay for the weapon and I'm out the door. Not really sure if they check it or not but it's a heck of a lot faster than before with out my permit. :shrug::pleasantry:

SC law allows the CWP carrier to forego the check, considering that it was done for the permit. A lot of LEOs here, who can carry anywhere, anytime (iiuc), still get a CWP so they can forego the check at each gun purchase from an LGS.

Yep, otherwise even they have to be checked each time.

Condition one

Also, you shouldn't be walking around with one in the chamber, ESPECIALLY if your semi-auto is a Glock. All the Glock's safety features are internal, and it's JUST WAITING for your fingertip on the trigger. You read about cases all the time of some guy carrying his Glock with a round in the chamber, reaching suddenly for the gun and discharging it into his thigh or hip. Sometimes fatally. DON'T keep a round in the chamber.

I mean, if you know your weapon, you can draw it to presentation and rack the slide in about 1 second. I've timed it, and I've been timed. Not coincidentally, a human being can sprint from a dead stop to a distance of 21 feet in about 1 second. Meaning, if you allow a suspicious character to approach to a distance of 21 feet from you, he can be ON TOP of you with a knife or a blackjack or whatever in 1 second.

To each his own. But sometimes a second will mean the difference between your life and the B/G's doing what ever it is they want to do to you. A Glock, Sigma or any number of guns for that matter with internal safeties, is no more dangerous than a wheel gun that is "JUST WAITING for your fingertip on the trigger." I have carried mine for years in condition one and have never come close to shooting myself or have a accidental discharge. I would rather have that one second than give it to the B/G.
Just my two cents

Also, you shouldn't be walking around with one in the chamber, ESPECIALLY if your semi-auto is a Glock. All the Glock's safety features are internal, and it's JUST WAITING for your fingertip on the trigger. You read about cases all the time of some guy carrying his Glock with a round in the chamber, reaching suddenly for the gun and discharging it into his thigh or hip. Sometimes fatally. DON'T keep a round in the chamber.

I'm sorry but I can't let something like this just go by. This kind of advise is ignorant and can get somebody killed. Please don't say things like this when you obviously have no idea what you're talking about. A Glock is no more, or less, dangerous than any other striker-fired pistol. Also, their safeties aren't all internal. That trigger safety is very much external.

And, to be clear, I've personally NEVER read about somebody shooting themselves by just reaching for it with ANY gun, let alone a Glock or any other modern design.

Also, you shouldn't be walking around with one in the chamber, ESPECIALLY if your semi-auto is a Glock. All the Glock's safety features are internal, and it's JUST WAITING for your fingertip on the trigger. You read about cases all the time of some guy carrying his Glock with a round in the chamber, reaching suddenly for the gun and discharging it into his thigh or hip. Sometimes fatally. DON'T keep a round in the chamber. I mean, if you know your weapon, you can draw it to presentation and rack the slide in about 1 second. I've timed it, and I've been timed. Not coincidentally, a human being can sprint from a dead stop to a distance of 21 feet in about 1 second. Meaning, if you allow a suspicious character to approach to a distance of 21 feet from you, he can be ON TOP of you with a knife or a blackjack or whatever in 1 second.

I strongly have to disagree. Your advice on not keeping a round in the chamber can get somebody killed if they may ever need to utilize their semi-auto in an emergency self defense situation.

I have carried Glocks almost exclusively since the early 90's, Glocks are very safe & reliable firearms.
The only safety needed is the one between the ears.

it does happen i watched a vid of some guy who was very experienced with guns and shot himself in the leg whilst reholstering during practice
at this point i'm thinking of carrying with one in the chamber and safety off as well so if i have to pull it out i'm ready to fire no fiddling with safety or racking as my gun is not easy to rack or thumb the safety quick enough imo
and i have a tight trigger so i really have to pull it to get it to go bang
however if i had to fire it in a situation i would after the situation is had put the safety back on whilst reholstering for sure as the trigger after fire is much easier to engage

it does happen i watched a vid of some guy who was very experienced with guns and shot himself in the leg whilst reholstering during practice

You mean this dude?

Like I said earlier...
The only true safety that is needed with a good quality firearm like a Glock is the one 'between the ears'.
Clearly this 'DEA Reject' didn't truly qualify for the job in the first place.

lol no that wasn't the one i was thinking of. but i saw that one too that guy in the vid you just posted was very unprofessional imo
the one i was thinking of was a white guy, dark curly hair, and facial hair.
.. been around guns for a long time he explained how it happened and showed where the bullet entered and exited his leg
had to feel bad for him but i'm glad he made a vid on his accidental fire.....he said it happened while he was reholstering the gun

i watched alot of those kind of vids so i could know how not to handle a gun
and where most folks make their mistakes that cause a fire they didn't intend

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back