Have you open carried?

I open carry in Michigan when it's hot out. Haven't had a problem.
Lived my whole life in michigan and never really had any issues with ppl trying to intimidate me or hurt me. Maybe I look mean or something I don't know but I'm very glad I've never had any situation where I've felt threatened. I still carry where ever I go though. Don't wanna take the chance. You never know what can happen in the blink of an eye.
Open carry if it is legal in your state! I don't really care what other people say or think. They'll wish they had a gun once they are attacked, beaten, raped, tied up,etc. if someone asks just say something that will never make them ask another person that question ever again.
For example: "I watched my brother get shot in the head while I was tied to a chair. Thanks for the reminder."
Be creative. They have no business asking.

Hmmmm..... I wonder where all the screaming masses running in terror at the sight of our guns (especially children), the criminals taking our guns and shooting us with them, or the criminals shooting us first are?

I carried open for about a month and found more stares. The general public, as a whole, seems to get rather nervous around firearms. No matter where I went there was at least a couple of people who seemed to shy away. I had a couple of businesses ask if I was a LEO and when I answered truthfully I was told that "company policy" dictated only LEO could carry inside the store. I have gone in the same stores carrying concealed and have no problems. Bottom line, i would rather no one know I'm carrying.

When I first started carrying back in the 70's I found the same to be true. I'm with Blacksheardad, I would rather no one knows I'm carrying.

Navy,
Being facetious again are you? Open carry, is an option here in West Virginia, Virginia where I spend a great deal of my time currently. I carry on my hip where legal and not "banned". I also CCW quite often, not to avoid the bans, but because I do not feel comfortable openly carrying in crowded spaces. As for the attitude from some, it can be fun.

Was in a grocery store, half my list in the cart. Tap on my shoulder, turned to find a Deputy Sheriff Officer in uniform. "Problem?" "We received a call about an armed person. Do you have a CCW permit?" "Yes, my wallet, left rear pocket." Would you be kind enough to cover your firearm with your shirt?" At this point a store manager approached and asked if there was a problem. The Deputy informed him of the call and of his request of me. The manager then proceeded to draw a 2" S&W from his pocket and asked if he should get a pocket holster for his firearm. The Deputy and I in unison, said, "YES". The Deputy explained it might prevent another knee jerk call. Have a nice day and the conversation ended. When the local LEO are well informed and the permit holder gives respect, it goes much smoother. The Deputy and I have since had several cordial chats since that day when we cross paths.

Concealed does not equate criminal or surprise, simply not open display of the ability to respond should the need arise. A ski mask in the heat of summer is not positive proof, but a fair sign of criminal intent.

Take care and be safe
pfb

I live in Minnesota and while I do not have to conceal carry, I do. Mainly because I wear a suit coat almost all day with work, so no matter how I carry, the firearm is concealed. On no work days I just have a tshirt usually over the grip. I carry the 1911 IWB and it's just how the clothing fits best over it.

I did go into a subway the other day with a Ruger SP101 OWB and no suit coat. Right away I walk in and a guy near the register nudged his qualify and pointed to my revolver. Needless to say he garnered my attention for the rest of the time he was in there.

But OC, CC, it's great to live in MN and not worry!

I hold a Wahington Concealed Pistol License, but Washington is an OPpen carry state.I had a long, animated debate with a representative of a sheriff's department over a news article about a citizen who was braced about his open carry in a starbucks he had been frequenting for over two years while openly armed. The rep stated the police had the right to investigate a possible threat. I told her i was a former cop, and that did not fly with me. Why is my gun a threat, but their deputy's isn't? KIRO-TV reported the citizen had been arrested for disordely conduct, but the SO denies that. Their reasoning is that people who are not used to seeing other than police carrying guns get nervous. I rejoindered that because some idiot gets a case of the vapors because of my sidearm, that I should hide it? Nope The police up here are learning, but sometimes very slowly. I now intend to Open carry, as it is getting warmer, and I do not intend to get sick from heat to hide my weapon.

I can..... But I see no reason to, therefore I wont PERIOD

You haven't OC, therefore you shouldn't have responded to this thread, which specifically asked for people who HAVE OC. Good job. Way to be the first one to fail reading comp 101 on this thread.

Some people just can't resist.

He does bring up a good point if its about showing ID/Permits to officers when not required to do so..."I can...but i see no reason to, therefore I wont PERIOD". I wonder if he feels that way about notification as well..

Colorado is an open-carry state (except for Denver, Boulder, and a few marked places in Gilpin county). I live in Denver but get out of town as often as possible. When I'm out of Denver (mostly in the foothills and hills) I open-carry (and conceal-carry) almost all the time. When I'm about to cross into Denver, I switch to conceal-carry only. It's a pain, but it's the stupid law.

I would double check your laws. And you are an instructor so I hope you're not teaching people wrong information.

The only place you cannot open carry in Colorado is the city and county of Denver because of their homerule status. Other than that, it can only be banned in certain areas with signs.

Link Removed

It is good to hear that others open carry. I am in Delaware where OC is legal in all but two towns (found out about one of them the hard way - and was fortunate to have a sympathetic LEO). I will be getting my CCW but it is expensive here, around $450 all things done, and still depends on what a judge decides AFTER getting all the background checks, posting intent in a local paper, etc. I have had two questions, one "Why" and one "What would you suggest?" There have been a few cold looks, and lots of complements on my NRA hat. Most of the time I carry my G22, occasionally my P38. I hope to sell the Walther and get a CC-friendly 40 S&W. The Walther has an ambidextrous holster so I am wearing it backwards on the right side for cross-draw until I recover from a right-handed run-in with a table saw. To each one's own. Some like OC, some CCW. There are purists in all of life's walks. Too bad some have to be elitist about it. Those are the ones I avoid. Have a good and safe day. Beez in Delaware.

I will be getting my CCW but it is expensive here, around $450 all things done, and still depends on what a judge decides AFTER getting all the background checks, posting intent in a local paper, etc.

Delaware CCW Process

Oh my GAWD! That is just horrific.

Seriously, isn't Delaware small enough that you can move to a neighboring state and commute to work in Delaware?

Oh, wait, I just looked at a map..... never mind. I feel so sorry for you.

I can..... But I see no reason to, therefore I wont PERIOD
Perhaps there is a larger reason to....

"A right that is not exercised is a right that is soon lost."

And... a carry permit is NOT the right to bear arms but is a permission slip from the government.. and permission from the government is the "infringed" part of "shall not be infringed".

Having said that I'll also say this....

We all have the right to choose to either exercise our rights or to not exercise them. That is a valid individual choice. However... no one individual, nor any group of individuals, should ever expect or demand that everyone else also not exercise a right.

He does bring up a good point if its about showing ID/Permits to officers when not required to do so..."I can...but i see no reason to, therefore I wont PERIOD". I wonder if he feels that way about notification as well..

Here in Indiana we have a License To Carry Handgun. There is no wording as to "how" we can carry and there is no wording stating if we must notify or not.

That said, I OC everyday, do NOT do business with businesses that don't like it and I CHOOSE to notify IF I ever get stopped :)

chieftmc:292221 said:

Here in Indiana we have a License To Carry Handgun. There is no wording as to "how" we can carry and there is no wording stating if we must notify or not.

That said, I OC everyday, do NOT do business with businesses that don't like it and I CHOOSE to notify IF I ever get stopped :)

No arguments there. We all make choices.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back