My first scary experience

In the age of cell phones it would have been really easy for the guy who was following you to screw you over. Even though he was the agressor he could have called the police and told them that "some guy pulled along side and waived a revolver at me", and then tailed you to give them your location. You can guess the rest - his word against yours but you have the revolver in your car just he said you would.....

Way, way pre cell phones.

A LEO that I know told me to never flash the weapon as a warning in a road-rage situation for this very reason. In addition to the short term headaches it could cause you, most DAs and judges do not regard somebody screaming at you while still inside their car as enough of a threat for you to legally brandish a firearm.

The whole thing happened when I was young and dumb and I would have been screwed anyway because I was carrying illegally.

This site has me wondering what kind of pussies are out there carrying. Unless you are a female pull over, if they come at you with a weapon you do the same. If they don't ,bring the knuckles. Don't ccw to make up for a lack of balls.

This site has me wondering what kind of pussies are out there carrying. Unless you are a female pull over, if they come at you with a weapon you do the same. If they don't ,bring the knuckles. Don't ccw to make up for a lack of balls.

Jarheadcool, it should not be about having balls ! A conceal carry holder should ALWAYS try and diffuse the situation (in this case by trying to get away, and calling the police / driving to the police station) Your gun should be your absolute last resort. If you pulled over and you ended up firing your weapon at your pursuer, you would probably be in even more trouble for pulling over and accused of looking for trouble by doing so. I am no pu$$y, I can say I would be able to use my gun if I had to to protect myself and my family or another person who's life is in danger, however I would try to "diffuse" the situation and use my gun as a last option to avoid the legal ramifications, emotional distress, and everything that goes with it.

In North Carolina you can also call #HP for Highway Patrol. I was on the way to visit family last Thanksgiving and had a drunk or very sleepy driver in front of me swerving everywhere nearly running into a guard rail twice. I called #HP told them where I was, the vehicle description and the plates. Within 5 minutes there was a trooper pulling him over. Not a situation of self defense, but you get the idea.

What do you think this is? The elementary school play ground? Grow up. This isn't one of the video games you play in your Mom's basement. Dead is permanent here. No extra lives, no restarts. And even if you live, you still may end up in prison for the rest of your life. That sound like fun to you? Keep running around thinking with your little head instead of the one on your shoulders and you'll probably get the chance to find out.

Pulling over is just looking for a confrontation. If I had pulled over any one of the 3 times folks tried to follow me home from work (probably wrongly assuming that we did night deposits), somebody would have died.

In summation:

Go talk **** about how big a hard ass you are to somebody dumb enough to believe you.

This site has me wondering what kind of ******* are out there carrying. Unless you are a female pull over, if they come at you with a weapon you do the same. If they don't ,bring the knuckles. Don't ccw to make up for a lack of balls.

Yeah well, just recently we had a guy with "balls" but no brains do exactly what you're advocating. He's now dead. "Tough Guy" thought the guy behind him was driving too close so he jumped out of the car and confronted the other driver. The guy who shot him?? No charges - it was justified under Florida law because Mr. Balls reached into the shooter's vehicle. Bang bang, he's dead.

Man shot to death in Pompano Beach roadway - Sun Sentinel

This site has me wondering what kind of ******* are out there carrying. Unless you are a female pull over, if they come at you with a weapon you do the same. If they don't ,bring the knuckles. Don't ccw to make up for a lack of balls.

Go read the site rules:

Link Removed

First warning.

Good call (yes, pun was intended)

In the age of cell phones it would have been really easy for the guy who was following you to screw you over. Even though he was the agressor he could have called the police and told them that "some guy pulled along side and waived a revolver at me", and then tailed you to give them your location. You can guess the rest - his word against yours but you have the revolver in your car just like he said you would.....

A LEO that I know told me to never flash the weapon as a warning in a road-rage situation for this very reason. In addition to the short term headaches it could cause you, most DAs and judges do not regard somebody screaming at you while still inside their car as enough of a threat for you to legally brandish a firearm.

I agree- never have the gun unholstered unless absolutely no other choice.

In every state I’ve ever been in what you describe would be considered mutual combat. You would be held 100% responsible for the outcome. Go ahead and carry w/ that attitude, you won’t be carrying (legally) long

ct1911guy,
I think that you did just fine,,,, no one got hurt and that's what carrying concealed is all about. I feel that avoiding conflict at all cost is our #1 priority. If you are able to call 911, then do it, however, you don't always have the time or option. Putting distance between yourself and your pursuers is the best course of action to try and defuse the situation. I think that slowing down to keep them close so that you can try and call 911 is reckless and could possibly put you in a situation that most of us wouldn't want to be in. I carry everywhere and will use it as a last resort, but I don't want to have to, so I will do whatever I have to do so that I don't have to use it. If that includes running away and the bad guys getting away, so be it.
It seems like there are a lot of Rambos' out there with a CCW license and that troubles me. They are either sociopathic or don't understand the power that is tucked in their holsters. I have had to shoot at people in my career, and believe me, no one who has had to do it for real will ever teach that you should stand and fight or aggravate the situation when there are other options.

Know your local law.

first I agree with calling 911, and do not stop unless you have to. In Michigan, I understand that it is a reputable assumption that if someone is trying to remove you from your car, you fear for your life (the castle law applies to home or car in Michigan). so, NEVER get out of the car unless you absolutely know it is safe. stay in your car with the window up or just cracked open (to talk). make them break into you car if they want you (broken glass will add to your defense IMHO). That puts the law on your side IMHO, (Like Florida) and makes you NOT the aggressor IMHO. there can be no confrontation unless they get out of their car and come to your car, and start breaking windows etc.

second, In Michigan you do not have to carry concealed in the car. I would lay the weapon on the seat, so it is visible, (not wave it around and not in my hand). not brandishing, but IMHO it sends the message, don't threaten my life. If that's not leagal in your state, don't do it. they would have to get out of their car and walk up to my car to see the weapon. If they started to bang on the window, or reached under their coat.......... I would use my best judgment at that time.

but that is only if I have to stop, (such as traffic etc)

the cops get paid for this, you don't. let them handle it if at all possible.

Id like to agree with everyone and say call 911, but then again, the little devil on my shoulder would have said to pull over and teach them a lesson and show them the business end of your 1911 and tell them not to do that **** again, Ida had them toss their keys over to me and tossed them down the road...That woulda been a wake up call...Then again, thats just me.
Handled it very well IMO, +1 for using your head, not your gun.
:yu:

Id like to agree with everyone and say call 911, but then again, the little devil on my shoulder would have said to pull over and teach them a lesson and show them the business end of your 1911 and tell them not to do that **** again, Ida had them toss their keys over to me and tossed them down the road...That woulda been a wake up call...Then again, thats just me.
Handled it very well IMO, +1 for using your head, not your gun.
:yu:

Let's see, there are TWO of them, and ONE of you. What would you have done if, when you pulled over and stopped, and they pulled up beside you, if THEY had BOTH pulled out a couple of Machine guns, and trained them on you? You would have needed an entire roll of toilet paper to clean yourself up!

Why would you assume that the guys harassing you are NOT ARMED? Bad mistake on your part.

Let's see, there are TWO of them, and ONE of you. What would you have done if, when you pulled over and stopped, and they pulled up beside you, if THEY had BOTH pulled out a couple of Machine guns, and trained them on you? You would have needed an entire roll of toilet paper to clean yourself up!

Why would you assume that the guys harassing you are NOT ARMED? Bad mistake on your part.

Why would you assume anyone you deal w/ is not armed?

It seems that there are some people in need of an alarm clock. WAKE UP! Our rights are being challenged daily and the last thing that we need is an uninformed populace reading some of these posts. If you carry, whether open or concealed, you have an obligation to diffuse, deter, or run away if you can, before you brandish or discharge your weapon. Not to mention there are legal implications of taunting or standing your ground when you have the option to escape. Survival 101: Evade and Escape. It doesn't take a man to stand there and pull out a gun, any punk gangbanger can do that. It takes a man to do the right thing and walk away when you really want to punish somebody. It takes a person with a strong sense of honor and self-control to do that but isn't that what we want from those who carry? That's not a squirtgun you've got tucked into that holster, and having to actually use it to defend yourself will have implications far beyond what you can imagine. The anti-gun lobby has been in a frenzy since the tragedy in Arizona, let's not give them any ammunition to use against us. They already paint us as crazed madmen just waiting to shoot some "innocent" people, don't feed into their hands. Wise up and use discretion and give realistic, sane advice when someone asks for it. We want the non-carrying public to know that we aren't walking around with our gun, itching for a fight. Drawing and/or firing your weapon is only ok when you have exhausted ALL other options.
Nuff said.

I'm a newbie to the gun world. I've been carrying/shooting for a year now. Today I had two men in a white Chevy Lumina followed me today when I came home from work. flashing their high beams, yelling they were gonna kill me and pointing their fingers out of the window shaped like guns. I'm sure I didn't do anything wrong to upset them. They kept signaling me to pull over so I took off at a high rate of... speed to loose them. Luckily, i lost them in a winding neighborhood. They are lucky too, I'm sure they weren't expecting to run down a CCW permit carrier. I didn't want them to find out either, or meet my 1911. Gotta say, I was actually pretty calm, but definitely scared:cray:. What would you do in this situation?

:pleasantry: In any situation the most important asset we have is our brain. You used your brain and avoided a potentially lethal situation. As I said earlier GOOD JOB.

To Jarhead

I don't mean to be disrespectful, BUT, a 'real man' is confident enough in his manhood to walk away from a bad situation. A 'real man' has evolved enough to rationalize and make a good decision. It takes a coward to try to 'prove' his manhood by letting his emotions control him. To be accurate, this applies to females, too, of course. Charles Darwin would tell you to evolve.

...and the demasculinization of the American male has reached critical mass.

What Jarhead was referring to, not very eloquently though, was called standing your ground. You know, what Americans did in a little something called the Revolutionary war or what some of us did for some of you when the schoolyard bully wouldn't stop picking on you.

I had a guy say something to the effect of me hiding behind my gun once, so I asked him if he'd like for me to put it up and we can handle it right quick. He didn't have much to say after that.

Where I came from, if you turned the other cheek, you got punched again. You turned and walked away, you got attacked from behind.

Predators prey on the weak and timid, they fear the strong.

Save your rebuttals, I really don't care.

Disclaimer: ALWAYS be on your best behavior, do unto others as you would have them do unto you......

That said;

Calling the cops (911) is NOT the "answer" to the problem.... (I doubt my following answer is it either)

Yes, it may get them into a little (read almost non-existent) trouble with the popo, I doubt very much if they learn anything other than dont get caught next time......

Real men take care of themselves when they need to. Sometimes people with no manners need to be taught some .....

I agree whole-heartedly about the Revolutionary War

...and the demasculinization of the American male has reached critical mass.

What Jarhead was referring to, not very eloquently though, was called standing your ground. You know, what Americans did in a little something called the Revolutionary war or what some of us did for some of you when the schoolyard bully wouldn't stop picking on you.

I had a guy say something to the effect of me hiding behind my gun once, so I asked him if he'd like for me to put it up and we can handle it right quick. He didn't have much to say after that.

Where I came from, if you turned the other cheek, you got punched again. You turned and walked away, you got attacked from behind.

Predators prey on the weak and timid, they fear the strong.

Save your rebuttals, I really don't care.

However the Revolutionary War was exactly that...a war against oppression, as was the Civil War, WWI/WWII, etc I have to say (between friends) that I have wanted to show someone a thing or two myself, too. However, with my job, I also see the other side as well. The Constitution / Amendments set Acts Of War and Criminal Acts as something very different. So, yes, I agree with the Revolutionary War issue.
As far as 'Predators prey on the weak and timid, they fear the strong.' and 'Where I came from, if you turned the other cheek, you got punched again. You turned and walked away, you got attacked from behind.", I also agree with that and see your side. I'm from New York originally, so I got my butt kicked countless times before I learned to defend myself. I'm also a history nut, hence my understanding of the Revolutionary and Civil wars.
From a friend, I don't wish prison for you. From an LEO standpoint, I cannot give you legal advice, especially that kind, however personal advice is okay.
I'm just a friend trying to help coach aanother friend. I hope you realize that. I intend no offense to you or anyone else.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back