Taurus Brand

To quote another member from another thread a few weeks back...."I would never trust my personal safety to a Taurus".

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Taurus revolver but my (and others I know) experience over the years with their autos has been something less than wonderful. Sure, every manufacturer puts out a lemon once in a while and any gun will perform like crap if not maintained properly, but I've heard too many stories and had too many personal experiences where Taurus autos have performed under par. To those who love their Tauruses (Tauri?), good for you. Enjoy. I'll say no thanks.

lets be honest those of us who have them love em and use em most people who say they arent all that great are those gun snobs that beleive if you dont pay 1k for a gun its cheap junk. my taurus will put as many holes in an attacker as your thousand dollar gun and ill still be carring the extra cassh i saved in my pocket!!!:biggrin:

don't be too quick to call people stupid

the reason Taurus has a negative rep is they have made crappy guns. the fact you haven't had any, nor i, doesn't mean they haven't done so. That said, i have 3 and they have never FTF, FTL, or FTE. (one is a revolver so never mind that).

Whatever. Their lifetime guarantee is nice, but feedback is that it takes a lifetime to get a gun back once sent in. Go to Taurusarmed.net to see more real life stories.

Bottom line - they are pricepointed for people on a budget. You get what you pay for, sometimes a lot more, sometimes just that. i wouldn't hesitate to buy another (just got the 845) but i have no illusions that it is a DWesson custom.

lets be honest those of us who have them love em and use em most people who say they arent all that great are those gun snobs that beleive if you dont pay 1k for a gun its cheap junk. my taurus will put as many holes in an attacker as your thousand dollar gun and ill still be carring the extra cassh i saved in my pocket!!!:biggrin:

I buy thousand dollar guns and STILL have cash in my pocket.

My primary carry gun is a $300 Ruger. Love it. I don't love Tauruses. It has absolutely nothing to do with the price.

Went shooting this morning with 2 friends. Between us we had 7 pistols - 2 HKs, 2 Rugers, 2 Glocks and a Taurus. Take a guess at which was the only one to fail, not once but twice..............time's up! If you guessed the Taurus you're correct.

You can have your Tauruses. I'll stick with my hoity-toity $1000 snob-pistols (and the Glocks and the Rugers) that always seem to work when you squeeze the trigger.

UN-believable. That critic raved over Taurus but bashed my beloved Springfield XD?! I must say, I wasn't expecting that. I haven't heard complaints of XD's like he experienced...wow. And he's sure got a hard-on for Glocks, doesn't he? Anyway, "experienced" critic or not, he's still one person with one opinion. We could look up and post countless other experienced critics and still get very differing reviews. Sorry, but regardless of what he had to say, I still love my XD and until it starts behaving in ways that it shouldn't, I'll continue to. But it sounds like he's had the same experiences with Taurus that I have - flawless function. ...at least in the newer generations of their guns.

I read the article about the XD, and he said they were older models. How old he didn't say. I personally like the Springfield XD and like shooting it. Like you said everybody has an opinion and in this case I have to disagree with him at least with the new XD's I have shot I love them!

I read, and concur wholeheartedly with this man's review of the Taurus Pistols and the bad rap a few idiots have given the Company and their products. If Taurus is a piece of crap, does that make Smith & Wesson a piece of crap also? Taurus owns S&W... What about Rossi firearms? Nobody ever badmouths Rossi Revolvers, which are made by Taurus! I own four Taurus pistols, two Rossi Wheelies and one S&W, I haven't had the first damned problem with any of them. :yu:

I can't believe I'm saying this as a Taurus owner who's always been happy with them... But now I'm compelled to defend some of those who do gripe about them. I've been consistently happy with my Taurus' and am usually quick to point people toward them...but there have been, and are, some lemons out there, I'm sure. And I won't dare make a blanket statement about people lying about their poor experiences with the guns and/or their customer service. I do think that, by and large, they are good guns and are consistently improving and evolving. I also think that, for the most part, their customer service has also improved over the years, and is probably consistently improving as well. I still point people toward Taurus' guns with confidence.

I am still laughing at this one. 8 inch groups at 200 yards. 50 yards 1" groups? 25 yards sub MOA? With an inexpensive .45 1911? Dude are you claiming to be Sergeant York? Smart bullets? I find your claims of marksmanship utterly ridiculous. :to_pick_ones_nose:

I was just rereading some of these posts, I geuss I missed this one, one inch groups at 50 yds with a unscoped handgun with no sand bags, Sargent York could not do that, and the gun your talking about sure as hell cant do that, even if clamped in a vise mounted in concrete, a friend at the indoor range I go to has a $2500 Wilson Combat 45 very nice gun, some claim to be the most accuate 1911 style 45 made, is hard pressed to keep a 1 inch group at 25 yds from a rest

Had a tactical instructor tell me recently he was putting 2 in the thorasic cavity at 200 yds with his Glock .40. Didn't see him do it, but don't doubt it. Hell, I watch what some guys do on "The American Shooter" (I think), and I don't doubt anyone's claim, especially the guys who pretty much live on the firing range.

Hmmmm.....I wonder how many times Annie Oakley used a Taurus in her show. Probably zero. I'd be willing to bet that Taurus IS NOT the weapon of choice for Rob Leatham or Jerry Miculek or any of the other you mentioned, especially when they're engaged in their craft. I'm pretty sure they use highly specialized, custom weapons and not some off-the-shelf mass-market pistol that anybody with a few hundred dollars can buy. After all.....that's what this thread is about, right? Taurus pistols?? Yup.

Just because John Force can drive a sub-4.0 sec quarter-mile in a funny-car doesn't mean he can do the same in a Yugo.
Just because Usain Bolt can run a 9.7 100 meter dash in track shoes doesn't mean he can do the same wearing snow shoes.

After reading the review of the 1911, I am sold. If they make a 1911 similar to the Colt Defender, I will buy one now. The only limitation are the choice for aftermarket Heine sights.

Sounds like an excellent home defense gun.

I have a 16 year old Taurus ported 605, 2.5" 357 Magnum. It's a great gun and more fun to shoot than my Ruger SP101.

In the end, some guns are just finicky with ammo and it can affect a High Point or a Dan Wesson. If you find the ideal ammo, you can make the gun do its job.

The so-called "cynics" have every right to pick apart posts that make eyebrow-raising statements like you have. Your claims of shooting accuracy rightfully bring out the skepticism in many of us, to say nothing of your claim that Sgt. Alvin York taught you to shoot. Your claims aren't just of good shooting or even excellent shooting. You claim world-class shooting ability. People that can shoot like that are few and far between.....you can usually find them on Olympic teams, in record books, and winning international competitions. Can we find you in those places or did you simply choose to limit your world-class ability to local turkey-shoots and gun clubs???

Also, it looks as though you missed the gist of the entire thread - the quality of Taurus pistols. Your dubious statements prompted several of us to (rightfully) question the validity of your claims.

Best of luck to you.

This is my first post but thought I would jump in since I am a Taurus owner. I have a Taurus PT-101 AF, .40 caliber. I find this gun is more than adequate for my needs. I own several guns but always carry this one when I am out and about. The gun works perfectly even though it is just a Baretta knock off. It feels good in my hand and shoots well. That is what I am interested in in any gun. It is rather bulky to carry but I at least know where it is at all times and have no difficulty in getting it in a hurry. As has been mentioned, there are lemons, at one time or another, in all guns but we pay our money and take our chances. I have been extremely fortunate in not having bought a lemon yet and would not hesitate to recommend a Taurus to anyone.:pleasantry:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back