Votes: 17 45.9%
  • One

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • Two or more

Votes: 2 5.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
perfect combination

glock 23 in a IWB. right hip between 4 and 5 o'clock. and a 340 PD in a desantis pocket holster.

IIRC Jim Cirillo was also a big fan of the M-1 Carbine. He had the chamber of his re-throated to feed Remington branded hollowpoints. This makes sense when you consider the use/context for which the M-1 Carbine was designed, a light weight rifle for short range city fighting.

Also a gun with pretty light recoil making it a firearm that just about anyone in the family can handle it.

Like our permit to carry instructor said-"If you're going somewhere you think you need a back up gun, YOU DON'T NEED TO GO THERE!" Makes a lot of sense to me.

One gun, plus pepper spray, a knife, and sometimes a stun gun.

Like our permit to carry instructor said-"If you're going somewhere you think you need a back up gun, YOU DON'T NEED TO GO THERE!" Makes a lot of sense to me.

One gun, plus pepper spray, a knife, and sometimes a stun gun.

The problem with that rational is that I am not clairvoyant so I really do not know where I may need more than one gun any more than I know where I may need one gun. I could reason that if I think I need any gun I should not go there. Pretty soon I might as well stay home.

The problem with that rational is...

There's no problem what so ever with that rational. The idea of carrying a gun is for self defense. When you start carrying more than one gun you're getting into the idea of getting into all out gun battles. Places where that happens are places you can intentionally avoid.

Of course, I'm speaking as a everyday civilian. Different story for LEO's.

There's no problem what so ever with that rational. The idea of carrying a gun is for self defense. When you start carrying more than one gun you're getting into the idea of getting into all out gun battles. Places where that happens are places you can intentionally avoid.

Of course, I'm speaking as a everyday civilian. Different story for LEO's.

Carrying a gun is for self defense. I just carry two guns for more self defense.:biggrin:

By the way the late Jim Cirillo and Ayoob teach, taught their students the importance of a back up gun.

Every minute of every day (and night) I know where my firearms are. I don't think or worry about the ones in the safe, But my CC is an M&P 40 that I am within arms length or know exactly where it is at 24/7. I don't think I could keep track of 2.

(OPENS ENVELOPE)

And the award for displaying a lack of confidence in his or her abilities goes to mak2. Please come up on stage and give a brief acceptance speech, and pick up your CCW Badge on the table next to the podium.
Thank you G50AE. Thank you everyone. I did not have a speech prepared...but no, I don't think a back up is nearly as important as simply always having a firearm in reach.

Every minute of every day (and night) I know where my firearms are. I don't think or worry about the ones in the safe, But my CC is an M&P 40 that I am within arms length or know exactly where it is at 24/7. I don't think I could keep track of 2.

Me too! Ever since our home was invaded back in October of 1990 I am (almost) never out of reach of my Glock Model 21. (It's on my desk, now, as I type.) I even sleep with it underneath my pillow every night.

Thank you G50AE. Thank you everyone. I did not have a speech prepared ... but no, I don't think a back up is nearly as important as simply always having a firearm in reach.

Here I really have to disagree, and so would Jim Cirillo—the NYPD's famous pistol gunfighter. Cirillo always carried two extra 38 Spl. revolvers in his back pockets whenever he was out on an assignment. You just never know when either a spare backup magazine, or another gun will need to come into play.

With me, and especially in the cold weather months, I've always got either: a 32 Auto, a 380 Auto, or a small 357 Magnum carried in one of my outside coat pockets.

Ok, I will listen and could change my mind. But I thought this through years ago. I am a firm believer in being armed all the time. So I will think about it, but lets say even though I practice at the range at least weekly, always fresh ammo, maintain my weapon appropriately I should still have a BUG? But would one back up gun be enough? What if they both jam at once, should I have a little two shot something behind my billfold? Then, should I carry my Buck knife all the time too? I dont know, but I think if you are more comfortable with a back up, you go. I just don't see me handling two firearms all the time.

Ok, I will listen and could change my mind. But I thought this through years ago. I am a firm believer in being armed all the time. So I will think about it, but lets say even though I practice at the range at least weekly, always fresh ammo, maintain my weapon appropriately I should still have a BUG? But would one back up gun be enough? What if they both jam at once, should I have a little two shot something behind my billfold? Then, should I carry my Buck knife all the time too? I dont know, but I think if you are more comfortable with a back up, you go. I just don't see me handling two firearms all the time.

OK, one question at a time!

I used to own five of them; I am now down to only three. It is always with me (even on those occasions when my pistol is not. I sometimes alternate it with this:

It is 'shaving sharp', and was personally selected for me by none other than Mr. Carl Elsener, himself. It's a beautiful little knife that requires a certain expertise in order to use well. One or the other of these knives is always with me.

'Back in the day' I used to regularly burn up 1,500 to 1,800 fired rounds each month. I did this for years; and today I have to live with the damaged ligaments and tendons in both of my wrists; but, hey, maybe it's just old age! ;)

Anyway, where are you getting the ammo from, and how can you afford to pay for it? I wish I could still shoot like that! Instead I've had to develop all different sorts of compensatory dry-fire techniques in order to 'keep my eye'. (You know, like Harris 'Wall Drills'.)

A 'BUG' is a necessity! Jim Cirillo carried two snub-nose 38's in his back pockets simply because pulling and using one of them was a whole lot faster and more certain for him to do in the really fast 'n close-in 'bum's rush' type of CQB pistol gunfighting that Cirillo usually engaged in.

(Apparently Cirillo didn't stand still and fire during most, but not all, of his gunfights. Instead, he would constantly move forward while continuing to fire until his opponent collapsed right in front of him—sometimes at 'kissing distance'!)

Even when the NYPD 'Brass' ordered him to begin using one of their new Glock Model 19's, Cirillo still continued to carry his two back pocket 38's; and, by all reports, he was no fan of the Glock 9mm.

For as many years as I have been doing these things (like half a century) I have never heard, read, or experienced two pistols jamming up at the same time. But, then again, all of my own guns have always been very well used, and very well maintained too.

The vast majority of the time I only use one pistol, but I am ambidextrous; and, if so inclined, I could use a pistol in both hands. So far in life, though, I've only done this in order to fool around and bounce tin cans along the ground. I do not regard shooting two guns at the same time as a viable self-defense technique. Sure, I could probably get away with doing it, but why?

(I am reminded of the stories about the great Japanese swordsman Miyamoto Musashi. He taught two-handed sword fighting, and his school was appropriately named this way; but, throughout his entire life, whenever Musashi fought he always used one sword with two hands!)

There is no perfect self-defense solution—None! Accuracy, nice tight groups, and getting lead into the target BEFORE the target is able to do the same thing to you is about as competent and skillful as any combat gunman can ever hope to be. Other than this it is your own situational awareness and insistence on not allowing strangers to approach you under anything less than ideal circumstances that keep you safe.

When I was younger I always had two Pit Bulldogs (or Dobermans) inside the home with me. Then one quiet Sunday morning during October of 1990 two of the Pit Bulldogs actually saved the lives of both my wife and myself.

(I was only 3 days out of the hospital, never, not even in my wildest imaginations, thought that I'd be attacked inside of my own home; and, then all of a sudden, it was 'game on'! Forget about the guns; at the moment of the attack, all of mine were upstairs locked away in the bedroom closet. Without those two Pit Bulldogs, I and my wife are convinced that we would, most likely, not have survived this assault.)

Last edited:
OK, one question at a time!

I used to own five of them; I am now down to only three. It is always with me (even on those occasions when my pistol is not. I sometimes alternate it with this:

It is 'shaving sharp', and was personally selected for me by none other than Mr. Carl Elsener, himself. It's a beautiful little knife that requires a certain expertise in order to use well. One or the other of these knives is always with me.

'Back in the day' I used to regularly burn up 1,500 to 1,800 fired rounds each month. I did this for years; and today I have to live with the damaged ligaments and tendons in both of my wrists; but, hey, maybe it's just old age! ;)

Anyway, where are you getting the ammo from, and how can you afford to pay for it? I wish I could still shoot like that! Instead I've had to develop all different sorts of compensatory dry-fire techniques in order to 'keep my eye'. (You know, like Harris 'Wall Drills'.)

A 'BUG' is a necessity! Jim Cirillo carried two snub-nose 38's in his back pockets simply because pulling and using one of them was a whole lot faster and more certain for him to do in the really fast 'n close-in 'bum's rush' type of CQB pistol gunfighting that Cirillo usually engaged in.

(Apparently Cirillo didn't stand still and fire during most, but not all, of his gunfights. Instead, he would constantly move forward while continuing to fire until his opponent collapsed right in front of him—sometimes at 'kissing distance'!)

Even when the NYPD 'Brass' ordered him to begin using one of their new Glock Model 19's, Cirillo still continued to carry his two back pocket 38's; and, by all reports, he was no fan of the Glock 9mm.

For as many years as I have been doing these things (like half a century) I have never heard, read, or experienced two pistols jamming up at the same time. But, then again, all of my own guns have always been very well used, and very well maintained too.

The vast majority of the time I only use one pistol, but I am ambidextrous; and, if so inclined, I could use a pistol in both hands. So far in life, though, I've only done this in order to fool around and bounce tin cans along the ground. I do not regard shooting two guns at the same time as a viable self-defense technique. Sure, I could probably get away with doing it, but why?

(I am reminded of the stories about the great Japanese swordsman Miyamoto Musashi. He taught two-handed sword fighting, and his school was appropriately named this way; but, throughout his entire life, whenever Musashi fought he always used one sword with two hands!)

There is no perfect self-defense solution—None! Accuracy, nice tight groups, and getting lead into the target BEFORE the target is able to do the same thing to you is about as competent and skillful as any combat gunman can ever hope to be. Other than this it is your own situational awareness and insistence on not allowing strangers to approach you under anything less than ideal circumstances that keep you safe.

When I was younger I always had two Pit Bulldogs (or Dobermans) inside the home with me. Then one quiet Sunday morning during October of 1990 two of the Pit Bulldogs actually saved the lives of both my wife and myself.

(I was only 3 days out of the hospital, never, not even in my wildest imaginations, thought that I'd be attacked inside of my own home; and, then all of a sudden, it was 'game on'! Forget about the guns; at the moment of the attack, all of mine were upstairs locked away in the bedroom closet. Without those two Pit Bulldogs, I and my wife are convinced that we would, most likely, not have survived this assault.)
I never use more than 100 rounds a week, I can go to the range anytime during the week I want to. You know, the knife thing might be the way I go. Thanks for a well thought out post,

Oh, and my last Doberman died around Thanksgiving at 12 years old. Great old dog.
I am sorry to hear that! I really am. One of the greatest dogs in my life was a large, tough, red Doberman that I got out of Montréal, PQ, Canada. He was a marvel, could hit hard, and was a fantastic sight and scent tracker.

He was devoted to me alone, and that animal would not eat unless I, personally, fed him. He died in an accident that occurred when I was not present. He passed away a long time ago, now; but, know what, I still miss him!

Sorry about your dobie too. I like Dobermans, and some people. We raised 4 kids and 6 Doberman Pinchers since 1990 something. We bought 4 of them from a berry farm in eastern Indiana. The absolute best dogs to raise kids with there is. We could almost let them babysit. Very loyal to the kids and I spent a lot of time training them. 2 of the dobies we rescued from bad situations but after a while they were great dogs too. The dobie that just died was owned by a guy that had Alzheimers and was deaf. As easy to imagine, when we first got him anytime he needed something he barked and barked. Even if he wanted his pillow moved. After about a year he quit that and was a great dog for a couple more years. My wife says absolutely no way do we get another one...she always says that.

Reactions: Cyr
Unfortunately, The State of New Mexico forbids the holder of a Concealed Carry License carrying a second gun. The law does not forbid gang bangers or other illegals from carrying as many guns as they wish. It only prevents those of us who follow the law carrying a BUG.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back