Zimmerman gets Bail

Everything he says can and will be used against him:

On the stand yesterday:

On the call to police the night of the incident:

As to the civil liability, I'm not certain a dismissal of the criminal case gives automatic protection against a civil suit. The potential plaintiffs in a civil suit are generally not bound by the outcome of a criminal matter because they are not parties to the criminal action. Due process generally affords the plaintiffs their day in court regardless of the outcome in the criminal case. That's why OJ no longer has his Heisman trophy.

Is the Florida law written in such a way that a dismissal in the criminal case is a bar to a civil case? Or does it just afford a defense in both criminal and civil cases?
If found to be self defense, Florida law quashes both types of cases at once. But the Federal Gov't then gets a crack at you too for things like deprivation of liberty. In other words, double jeopardy which is illegal.

I think the apology was premature and a mistake. I think it could be used in a civil action to try to show that he considers the shooting to be an error.
I agree. If what you did was right, there's no need to apologize for it. The apology just reinforces my opinion of Zimmerman being a knucklehead with bad judgment.

That being said, all of the evidence available so far makes Zimmerman look like the victim of a violent attack. The craven dishonesty of the media only reinforces that.

GZ's on-stand comments appear to be more indicative, and typical, of what an innocent person might say/do. He doesn't understand, completely, that the state is trying to present him as a murdering criminal with full intent to kill TM. His naivety (sp?) is apparent. The state, on the other hand, is more than happy to nail him like an eagle on a puppy, to get a conviction (one point in the "win" column).

Or.... GZ is a damn good actor.

I agree. If what you did was right, there's no need to apologize for it. The apology just reinforces my opinion of Zimmerman being a knucklehead with bad judgment.

That being said, all of the evidence available so far makes Zimmerman look like the victim of a violent attack. The craven dishonesty of the media only reinforces that.

Zimmerman did not apologize for shooting Martin. He said he was sorry that the Martins lost their son. There is a difference.

I think the apology was premature and a mistake. I think it could be used in a civil action to try to show that he considers the shooting to be an error.

I believe the Stand Your Ground law prevents civil suits if it is found to be a legitimate self defense.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back