Zimmerman gets Bail

BIGJOHN621

At least the court wasn't bullied by the media and the likes of Sharpton and Jackson

Link Removed

It should be interesting to see the reaction of Jesse, Al, and the NBPP. The howls of "white man's law" from the haters should be deafening.

I hope the 9mm KelTec wasn't his only gun, he might need some protection to keep him safe once he is released. The hate-mongers will be harassing him for sure.

I would personally want him to stay in jail for the time being for his own protection, especially from the Black Panthers.

I hope the 9mm KelTec wasn't his only gun, he might need some protection to keep him safe once he is released. The hate-mongers will be harassing him for sure.

While agreeing with your assessment of his situation, the judge was quite clear about him not possessing a firearm of any kind. Nothing. Sucks to be him right now.

I watched the hearing today and during the testimony of the investigator about the document the he and the other investigator supposedly wrote it became very clear that they were not the ones doing the writing. There were a lot of assumptions and conclusions placed in it that did not hold to the evidence obtained at the scene or afterwards. One thing that I realized from the testimony of the investigator that after GZ was told that they did not need him to follow TM there is absolutely no evidence that shows that GZ continued to follow him. In fact it led me more to believe that he did not and the shadows seen by the other witness were those of TM.

I also thought that the judge made some interesting comments when he said that the two prior incidents involving GM that the state were using to try and show GM being a violent person were negligible and not worth consideration. It will not surprise me at all if this judge throws the case out at the preliminary hearing.

I watched the hearing today and during the testimony of the investigator about the document the he and the other investigator supposedly wrote it became very clear that they were not the ones doing the writing. There were a lot of assumptions and conclusions placed in it that did not hold to the evidence obtained at the scene or afterwards. One thing that I realized from the testimony of the investigator that after GZ was told that they did not need him to follow TM there is absolutely no evidence that shows that GZ continued to follow him. In fact it led me more to believe that he did not and the shadows seen by the other witness were those of TM.

I also thought that the judge made some interesting comments when he said that the two prior incidents involving GM that the state were using to try and show GM being a violent person were negligible and not worth consideration. It will not surprise me at all if this judge throws the case out at the preliminary hearing.

And yet as recently as today, someone on this thread posted that it was a "fact" that zimmerman followed martin after being "ordered" not to.

I think the apology was premature and a mistake. I think it could be used in a civil action to try to show that he considers the shooting to be an error.

I think the apology was premature and a mistake. I think it could be used in a civil action to try to show that he considers the shooting to be an error.

If he says he is sorry for shooting TM, then its like an admission of guilt. If he said he is sorry the situation happened, maybe not as much.

There is a lot of conjecture but the hard evidence seems to support the story of Zimmerman. It will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Civil liabilty is not a factor in Florida to best of my recollection.

I think it was downright stupid, and obviously against his lawyer's advice. Although, if he gets the case tossed in the Stand Your Ground hearing, he is immune from civil action from then on. If it doesn't get tossed, it probably won't matter much about the apology. Without the immunity, he is going to face a multimillion dollar judgment in all likelihood anyway, probably no matter the outcome of the trial.

What a way to start a criminal prosecution though, eh? A bail hearing where the defendant demands to address the court, only to address an apology to the parents for killing their kid instead. Weirdest thing I ever saw, with the possible exception of OJ's prosecutors jumping through legal hoops to force him to put on the bloody glove in front of the jury without knowing ahead of time that it didn't come close to fitting. Between incompetent prosecutors and police investigators, and blithering idiot defendants, it's hard to imagine how much actual justice is making its way through the courts these days.

Blues

A lawyer on a news show commented on his apology down here. The lawyer said that it likey won't hurt him but it can help him.
People are looking at him as a blood-thirsty killer so the apology may help him look like just a normal guy that has a heart.

We'll see what happens

A lawyer on a news show commented on his apology down here. The lawyer said that it likey won't hurt him but it can help him.
People are looking at him as a blood-thirsty killer so the apology may help him look like just a normal guy that has a heart.

We'll see what happens

Yeah, but the only ones he has to make himself appear "normal" to is a jury, and if any prospective jurors admit to either hearing it today, or hearing about it during jury selection, one side or the other will likely kick 'em loose. I don't know what the rules of evidence are, but it wouldn't surprise me, if allowed, if the prosecution tries to suppress today's testimony, both Zimmerman's and the investigator's, the latter of which fully admitted that he had no idea who started the fight, something that would be necessary to lay on Zimmerman if they really plan on proving the "depraved heart and disregard for life" elements of 2nd Degree Murder. He basically admitted on the stand that there was no valid justification for a charge of 2nd Degree. It was a very strange proceeding.

Blues

Everything he says can and will be used against him:

On the stand yesterday:

I wanted to say I am sorry for the loss of your son. I did not know if he was armed or not. I did not know how old he was. I thought he was a little bit younger than I am.

On the call to police the night of the incident:

Zimmerman: Yeah, now he's coming towards me. He's got his hands in his waist band. And he's a black male.

911 dispatcher: OK How old would you say he is?

Zimmerman: He's got something on his shirt. About like his late teens.

911 dispatcher: Late teens?

Zimmerman: Uh, huh.

As to the civil liability, I'm not certain a dismissal of the criminal case gives automatic protection against a civil suit. The potential plaintiffs in a civil suit are generally not bound by the outcome of a criminal matter because they are not parties to the criminal action. Due process generally affords the plaintiffs their day in court regardless of the outcome in the criminal case. That's why OJ no longer has his Heisman trophy.

Is the Florida law written in such a way that a dismissal in the criminal case is a bar to a civil case? Or does it just afford a defense in both criminal and civil cases?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back