Votes: 47 45.2%
  • I would now consider buying a Glock

Votes: 12 11.5%
  • It would not make any difference to me

Votes: 45 43.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FN1910

There has been a lot of discussion on this lately but if Glock were to start putting a safety on their guns, making no other modifications other than just adding a flip up or down safety would it change your mind about buying one. Remember that all the present safety devices are still in place just the addition of a manual safety.

A Pistol with a 5lb trigger pull and no safety is pure negligence. Period.

I don't understand how anyone could argue otherwise.

How did we become so negligent that the subject is even up for debate?

The Glock accidental discharges are going to be the final Nail in the Lawful Concealed Carry Coffin.

If you carry a Glock with a round in the chamber: you are a danger to yourself and others and I would really appreciate it if you would stay far away from me.

I voted that I would now consider buying one but that is with a disclaimer. I may buy one anyway but it would make me feel better about it. I honestly have never shot a Glock and have not handled very many so I don't have a good feel for how light or heavy the trigger really is, so I'm not saying they are unsafe or have a design flaw.

As it is, if I buy another CCW I am considering the Glock, the Springfield XD (grip safety), the Ruger SR40 (manual safety), or a Sig-Sauer (DA/SA trigger system with a decocker). (You can tell I'm not very close to a purchase).

For the record my carry guns are a Smith and Wesson model 60, a Kahr PM9 (no manual safety) and a Ruger LCP (no manual safety). The thing with these though is they have both long and (except for the Kahr) relatively heavy trigger pulls. The Kahr supposedly has a similar operating system to the Glock (half cock until the trigger is pulled) but the trigger pull is longer.

In the end if you keep your finger off the trigger you should be fine but sometimes we need our weapons to protect us from doing what we tell them to do, as opposed to what we want them to do.

The Glock accidental discharges are going to be the final Nail in the Lawful Concealed Carry Coffin.

If you carry a Glock with a round in the chamber: you are a danger to yourself and others and I would really appreciate it if you would stay far away from me.

Are you serious? Keep your booger hook off the bang switch done deal.

Anfd to quote Glockdude the safety is between your ears

I would buy a Glock if they didn't kick like mules! I carry hammer down, empty chamber with my Walther, so I would definitely keep a Glock without one in the chamber.

Smart girl! I've seen the results of Glocks being negligently fired and leaving some nasty wounds. I never carry my Glock with a round in the chamber for that very reason. Be prepared, however, for a herd of folks to jump on you for not carrying "hot." Just do what you are comfortable with. Your gun, your decision.:biggrin:

I've carried my Glock 26 since I bought it with a round in the chambered. I have never had a negligent discharge since I took the time and money to go through training but also the obvious which is keep you finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.

If someone had a negligent discharge with a Glock that means they weren't paying attention to how they were handling the gun IMO. Which also means they could could do the same thing with a gun that has a safety.

Bottom line is you should be very aware of how you and handling any guns at all times....safety or no safety.

So all double action revolvers are pure negligence?

I have owned four different Glocks in the past, don't right now though. I think the Glock is a wonderful machine, but I still feel a little more safe with the manual safety. Its just my humble opinion.

glock

Never could understand why police gravitate to that ugly hand sap. justin glock must throw cold water in his face every day just to continue to believe."Theres One Born Every Minute!".:pleasantry::fie:

Never could understand why police gravitate to that ugly hand sap. justin glock must throw cold water in his face every day just to continue to believe."Theres One Born Every Minute!".:pleasantry::fie:
Do you mean Gaston Glock ?

I only carry DA/SA guns safety off hammer down (no different than carrying a Glock) I always carry a round up because I've been jumped when I didn't have a round up and had the guy not took off when he saw the gun he would have got to me before I got a round chambered.

Bottom line, if you aren't comfortable carrying a semiautomatic pistol w/ a round in the chamber you need a revolver. until you figure out it has a round in the chamber also. Then you can carry a rock. Oh wait , you're already doing that :biggrin:

There are so many pistols out there with manual safeties, why wouldn't you just get one of them? The XD in particular has lots of safties.

I've also found that the majority of people who bring up this tired song of no-safety glocks own revolvers too, but don't make the connection that they don't have them either. Yes I know the trigger pull may be different but it's the same concept.

You carry what you want and I'll carry what I want. If you're scared of a gun without a manual safety, don't buy a Glock - there are a million others. And while your at it - just to be super safe, why don't you carry your gun empty.

I carry a Glock because it DOES NOT have a safety (except the 3 internals). And since I practice and go through drills etc. with it, I am very comfortable and pleased with it.

And if you consider me negligent or dangerous for carrying a Glock, my suggestion is stay the hell away from me and under your bed where you'll be safe.

I respect all of the opinions already posted. Some people feel the need for the manual safety and others don't. I own Glocks and other semi auto pistols that do and don't have a safety. I conceal carry either my Glock 26 or my P-3at, neither of which have a manual safety. The P-3at does have a longer harder pull than the Glock, but no switch to flip, or forget to flip in the heat of the moment. The Glock was designed as a combat handgun and that is reason I carry it. I've never had a negligent discharge with any of mine, but I'm am also very careful about anything going into the trigger guard. If Glock made all models with a safety I might not buy another one. If it was a option get a model with a safety or a model without, I'm getting without.

Just my opinion.

If Glock made all models with a safety I might not buy another one. If it was a option get a model with a safety or a model without, I'm getting without.

This is the part that I do not understand. If Glock made a model with all the same features but added a manual safety why would you consider it different. If you feel comfortable with carrying a Glock now why would you feel it necessary to use the safety and reject the gun because of that and choose one without a safety over one with a safety?

I have owned and shot Glocks since 1987. Never had any problems with these guns. Carried a Glock 22 as a LEO for several years, ditto for that, never a problem. The problem with accidental discharges by en large always has a human component to it. When you carry, i don't care what weapon it is, you should be familiar with it, know how to handle it, its limits, and be mindful of all these aspects whenever your shooting hand reaches for it. Like several have eluded to earlier here; "if you are not ready to shoot, for gods sake, keep that finger OFF the trigger."

Don't take this the wrong way but you are obviously speaking from little or no experience with these type of pistols. The only safety is between your ears!

TRIGGER SYSTEM
The “Safe Action” system is a partly tensioned firing pin lock, which is moved further back by the trigger bar when the trigger is pulled.
When the trigger is pulled, 3 safety features are automatically deactivated one after another. When doing so, the trigger bar is deflected downward by the connector and the firing pin is released under full load. When the trigger is released, all three safety features re-engage and the GLOCK pistol is automatically secured again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
playmatka
Back