Worst LEO Weapon Retension practice I've ever seen

Safariland als has a thumb button that releases a locking mechanism that latches into the ejection port. Won't be able to see it unless you are looking for it.

Bladetech WRS has a spring loaded hood that is released by a thumb break. A lot more obvious.

There was no hood or thumb snap on this holster I remember seeing. The holster retention device I remember seeing was between the handgun and the body. The retention device looked like a a piece of plastic, almost looked like a straw. You would press it down to get the handgun out of the holster. You couldn't tell it had any retention device unless you were the one wearing the holster.

Now I'm going to go nuts if I don't find it. I know what my task for the day is.

As far as magazine disconnect, how do you relate that to retention?

The magazine disconnect is now being incorporated into the firearms retention training with law enforcement. Like I previously stated I disagree with it being incorporated into handgun retention.

Samuel:239814 said:
Safariland als has a thumb button that releases a locking mechanism that latches into the ejection port. Won't be able to see it unless you are looking for it.

Bladetech WRS has a spring loaded hood that is released by a thumb break. A lot more obvious.

There was no hood or thumb snap on this holster I remember seeing. The holster retention device I remember seeing was between the handgun and the body. The retention device looked like a a piece of plastic, almost looked like a straw. You would press it down to get the handgun out of the holster. You couldn't tell it had any retention device unless you were the one wearing the holster.

Now I'm going to go nuts if I don't find it. I know what my task for the day is.

As far as magazine disconnect, how do you relate that to retention?

The magazine disconnect is now being incorporated into the firearms retention training with law enforcement. Like I previously stated I disagree with it being incorporated into handgun retention.

The Bladetech has the hood. I doubt it was that one in the op because it would be obvious. I believe the one you can't think of is the Safariland ALS. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84FO-qr2xZI&feature=youtube_gdata_player . You can not tell unless you are specifically looking for the button, and will probably miss it unless you are looking straight down from the top of the holster. They are wrong in the video about the retention point, it's the ejection port not the trigger gaurd (like a blackhawk or fobus).

It could also be the 5.11 Thumb Drive holster (manufactured by bladtech) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZRai9jbc20&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Are they teaching police to go for the magazine release if someone tries to grab the gun? That's a really small target to aim for in a very fast situation...

You must teach for the Canton PD.

You seen to have the same I walk on water attitude. I refuse to take a class that makes you feel dumber than before you enter. So your classes are out.

If you can't see how snide your answeres are then you will be the first on my block list. Try being a human being.

Please take me off your Holiday cards list as well chick little.

POST is Peace Officer Standards and Training.

Which State may if I may ask?
The "Clear" aspect I'm referring to is the mentioned lack of any thumb break or any form of retention to prevent a straight draw of the firearm. As many have said, without the OP being more descriptive of the holster, we cannot assume he has anything more than what the OP said he had.

In addition to that, the poor retention, as I already stated, is his (as described by the OP) lack of effort in "covering" his firearm and by placing his backside/strongside open to the public. He should cover his firearm, which will act as a deterrent, and keep his back against a wall to prevent would-be gun snatchers from coming up behind him.

Number one step in weapon retention is being aware of your surroundings.

Based on the Op's lack of detail in the original post I'd hesitate to assume anything based solely on his perception of events to be clear.

Please take me off your Holiday cards list as well chick little.

I suggest you ask someone to write your posts for you. Tell them you want to avoid comming across as: egotistical, arrogant, self inportant, or pompous.

Because belonging to a small percentage of individuals here that blah blah blah..... ooh yeah... include blowhard to the list.

Edit
Decided that if you don't yet know you are arrogant then I can't help you...

Blocked.

Which State may if I may ask?
Based on the Op's lack of detail in the original post I'd hesitate to assume anything based solely on his perception of events to be clear.

California

As no one else is present, and he is the only eye witness, we have no other option but to go off the information he's reported. Anything else is speculation.

The Bladetech has the hood. I doubt it was that one in the op because it would be obvious. I believe the one you can't think of is the Safariland ALS. Safariland ALS Holster - YouTube . You can not tell unless you are specifically looking for the button, and will probably miss it unless you are looking straight down from the top of the holster. They are wrong in the video about the retention point, it's the ejection port not the trigger gaurd (like a blackhawk or fobus).

It could also be the 5.11 Thumb Drive holster (manufactured by bladtech) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZRai9jbc20&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Thanks for the video, but no it wasn't the ALS or 5.11 - although I could see the ALS being mistaken. This looked like a leather three-slot holster. I know just when I stop searching for it, the name will pop into my head.

Are they teaching police to go for the magazine release if someone tries to grab the gun? That's a really small target to aim for in a very fast situation...

I said they are incorporating it into handgun retention. I won't go into training specifics, except I do not agree with it.

I suggest you ask someone to write your posts for you. Tell them you want to avoid comming across as: egotistical, arrogant, self inportant, or pompous.

Because belonging to a small percentage of individuals here that blah blah blah..... ooh yeah... include blowhard to the list.

Edit
Decided that if you don't yet know you are arrogant then I can't help you...

Blocked.

30tjgna_th.jpg
avkj77_th.jpg

There is a lot more to weapon retention then just having a retention device on a holster. The OP might have thought that he could just grab the weapon and he might have been able to start but there is more to grabbing a gun out of someone else's holster than most think. Try it sometime. Holsters are designed to have the firearm pulled out by the shooter. Grabbing from another angle is not always as easy as you might think. I think there are way too many people that think they have good retention because they are wearing a "retention" holster. Take a look at most of those holsters sometime, especially a Blackhawk Serpa. Most of the time those are pretty obvious (Safariland ALS is not) and if someone is going to reach for your gun they can figure that out. A retention device is not going to necessarily do the trick. If at all possible get some training and know how to retain your firearm and how to control it if someone is reaching for it or even if they have it out of the holster.

It may have seen like the officer didn't know what was around him or wasn't paying attention but you don't know that either. As for not having his arm over the gun do you have your arm over your firearm all the time? Same goes for being against a wall. You can't. If the officer has received any decent training what so ever, then he is going to have some training in weapons retention and practice doing it.

His retention may not have been great but until you know the amount of training he has or actually how aware he was it is impossible to say. Not all departments or agencies require a holster with retention.

I want to make clear that I do believe that having some retention in a holster can be a very good thing but we can not rely on that alone and I see too many people doing so. I also have seen some retention holsters that have too much retention and you have to twist and rock the firearm while pushing the right combination of buttons just right to get the firearm out of the holster. The more retention you have in a holster the harder it is to get the gun out of that holster be that for the bad guy or the good guy. For most people the only retention that they are really going to need is some friction and their training.

There is a lot more to weapon retention then just having a retention device on a holster.
Yes, I know. "retention" doesn't refer only to the holster, but also the person.

there is more to grabbing a gun out of someone else's holster than most think. Try it sometime.
I have ... for 8 hours a day for well over 2 weeks. My arms were dead from wrist and arm locks.

If at all possible get some training and know how to retain your firearm and how to control it if someone is reaching for it or even if they have it out of the holster.
Done

As for not having his arm over the gun do you have your arm over your firearm all the time?
Yes!
Are you familiar with the "interview stance"? It's intention is to keep you balanced, at a proper distance ... and ... you'll love this ... cover your weapon!

I also have seen some retention holsters that have too much retention and you have to twist and rock the firearm while pushing the right combination of buttons just right to get the firearm out of the holster.
Canted Draw holster. Great as a duty holster. Little bulky for any other purpose.

G50AE:240274 said:
You must teach for the Canton PD.

You seen to have the same I walk on water attitude. I refuse to take a class that makes you feel dumber than before you enter. So your classes are out.

If you can't see how snide your answeres are then you will be the first on my block list. Try being a human being.

(OPENS ENVELOPE)

And the award for being even less civil than karry, Terminal Lance, Oldsalt, and Providence Ranch goes to Warbirds. Please come up on stage and give a brief acceptance speach and pick up your CCW Badge on the table next to the podium.

Lol.... The uber troll saying I'm not civil. The OP come here with something he had seen and was immediately jumped on by Mr elitist I know it all.

Here let me try it on you. As a member of a very elite group of people that can immediately know that i am more knowledgeable and will immediately try to put you in your place. Who are you to know what being civil is?

Of course maybe I could spend all day posting that "you should have bought a glock" or sheepdogs or ccw badges and be a real troll.

I don't know. Everything becomes routine after a while and honestly I would not expect cops to walk around in a 24/7 battle mode. Besides, you may have thought he was completely unaware of his surroundings but how can you be sure?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back