Words

Midnight

Words can be the most powerful weapon of all. Look at how Obama's public-speaking skills have mesmerized and poisoned the minds of millions across the country.

First order of business when being initially confronted in a potential self defense situation is to be talkng, yelling, and screaming that you have no desire to elevate any problem you surmise someone is having with you as you retreat or try to disengage. The "words" become "witnesses" who hear you doing everything you can to avoid a firearm situation and that is powerful legal support to any action that you may have to take or have taken to eliminate an imminent threat to your life or great bodily injury. At least according to the very knowledgeable deputy sheriff who taught my CC class---the words are your number one support partner that back up everything else that goes down.

There is a reason Hitler and his historical counterparts considered the media the greatest weapon they possess in shaping the masses to the kind of thinking they desired them to embrase.

Since by in large we, the conservatives, are allowed a much smaller television presence, and in fact can be smeared on much of the programing, its only a matter of time before we are either history and meeting in secret for fear of arrest or we take advantage of one of the primary reasons for the 2nd Amendment.

There will come a time when we will be at that very fork in the road. Will we recognize it tho? If so, will we act or just keep posting on any forums that secretly exist at the time?

Kelcarry.

I'm going to disagree with you on the yelling and screaming. You are correct on trying to contain the situation via verbal communication, but the best thing is to try to keep the threat under control by engaging him in communication. The yelling and screaming are going to escalate the situation.

so keep calm and try to remain under control of the situation.

There is a reason Hitler and his historical counterparts considered the media the greatest weapon they possess in shaping the masses to the kind of thinking they desired them to embrace.

Since by in large we, the conservatives, are allowed a much smaller television presence, and in fact can be smeared on much of the programing, its only a matter of time before we are either history and meeting in secret for fear of arrest or we take advantage of one of the primary reasons for the 2nd Amendment.

Heavens forbid!

QUOTE=tuts40;229797]There will come a time when we will be at that very fork in the road. Will we recognize it tho? If so, will we act or just keep posting on any forums that secretly exist at the time?[/QUOTE]

Let us hope so...I came from a country that banned gun ownership. You should have seen how many really complied to it. It was the saddest time in history for us. I now know many Aussies who are just as happy to be here because they are allowed to protect themselves beside experiencing the joy of plinking. I also know of many who did not surrender their guns. Some of them are like you said, pretty much "hiding in fear" that their cache will be discovered one day...Let us hope we vote someone who is not oppose to gun ownership apart from being experienced in how this country should be run....

There is a reason Hitler and his historical counterparts considered the media the greatest weapon they possess in shaping the masses to the kind of thinking they desired them to embrase.

Since by in large we, the conservatives, are allowed a much smaller television presence,

The greatest weapon the "conservatives" possess is the Fox News Network. At work 24/7, shaping the masses to their way of thinking.

The best deterrent to an Obama speech - tele-prompter failure. It reduces him to a babble the makes W an eloquent speaker.

Hey sting: I should have elaborated better. I agree with you. The yelling and screaming etal only occurs when the being nice and accomodating are over and you are one step from presenting your firearm. As you pull your firearm and are about to discharge, witnesses hearing all this yelling and screaming exclaiming your desire not to escalate and your desire to be left alone will be your best friends.

Hey sting: I should have elaborated better. I agree with you. The yelling and screaming etal only occurs when the being nice and accomodating are over and you are one step from presenting your firearm. As you pull your firearm and are about to discharge, witnesses hearing all this yelling and screaming exclaiming your desire not to escalate and your desire to be left alone will be your best friends.
I recommend students do what Kelcarry initially advised. A violent felon intent on harming you will rarely be disengaged by calm speaking. The NRA recommends shouting commands. Those commands, such as STOP, PUT DOWN THE KNIFE, etc., should be communicated loudly and clearly so others will hear them. Such a disturbance in a parking lot or public area brings attention to the situation. Such attention can be the victim's best friend. People tend to take notice or call 911 when they see a violent situation unfolding. Further, never let the perp get close enough to hear your normal speaking voice... That's way too close. He can close a 25 foot gap and inflict a fatal wound in about 1.5 seconds.

Yes, words can be effective - just ask any long-time LEO. To quote Best Way To Get Attacked?, Peyton's five ways to try to de-escalate violence are.
1) Don't Insult Him
2) Don't Challenge Him
3) Don't Threaten Him
4) Don't Deny It's Happening
5) Give Him A Face Saving Exit

Let the bad guy know (without actually saying so) that he's not going to get his way, and give him a way to back down without feeling humiliated. But, as any LEO can also tell you, you gotta be ready to "turn on" a high level of aggression if it goes beyond words and comes to a fight, because 90% of the time, the winner is usually the most aggressive one.

As a registered independent, and an English instructor, I've seen BOTH sides use language to manipulate people. It is NOT just a thing liberals do.

Appreciate agreement BCI on my comments. Sometimes what we write can be taken out of context or clouded by someone else's opinion and misunderstood for what it is really saying. I think, with my 2 replies, I got my message across, which was vigorously demonstrated by my extremely competent and experienced CCWP instructor, who is a deputy sheriff with a long history of excellence. It is all about witnesses. Anything you can do to calm the situation is nice but in the long run, you are faced with someone who means you harm and you are one step from doing something you never thought you would do. This talking nice immediately reminds me of where we are as a country with Iran--our dear king and his fat thigh sect of state think nicey nicey with these crazies will end the nuclear armageddon that faces Israel (this threat will face everyone else if they are let off the hook--don't you think if they are successful, they will not "share" their information with all the other crazies--europe and then the US are on their list--this does not end with Israel).

Words can be the most powerful weapon of all. Look at how Obama's public-speaking skills have mesmerized and poisoned the minds of millions across the country.
Proverbs 18:21 "The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat it's fruit".

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back