Wife Refuses to Carry

Itstjs

Wife came home from work yesterday, shes the manager at a Borics in our area. She had a client come into her store shortly before closing who had caught her attention and was "weird" the kid apparently came in and immediately sat down, my wife was finishing up a hair cut on someone, and her co-worker was finishing a cut as well. My wife greeted the gentleman, and asked him if he signed in. The guy apparently kept his hands out of sight and kept his head down with a hoodie over his head. The man said no and gave the name John, when my wife asked his last name he apparently "ummed" a few times before giving an obvious false last name of "Smith."
My wife finished with the person in her chair and called Mr. Smith back, the man came to her chair with his hands out of sight again, and looking at the floor. My wife said she was afraid he was going to put a gun in her face and rob her, [there have been a huge spike of armed robberies in the area as of late, almost a year long epidemic] just because of his behavior, she was even more alarmed to notice the man didnt need a hair cut, due to it looking as if it had already been cut within the last 2 days or so. But the wife asked him what he needed done, Mr. Smiths reply was, "I dont want to look at my face, dont turn me toward the mirror" so, she asked what kind of cut would he like. Mr Smith just said clean up the neck and side burns, and to her surprise, they didnt need to be touched up, but she figured in doing what he wanted anyway, just to get him out of the store as fast as possible.

A few minutes went by, and the man got up, again keeping his hands completely out of sight and says "so what, 5.00 for the cut right?" My wife just says yes. Mr Smith says he left his wallet in his car. The man walked out and my wife immediately spoke to her co worker who had now been finished with her cut for a few minutes now and was sitting in the back room. Wife tells her, her client is acting real strange and that if the man didnt come back she would pay for the hair cut, but wanted her to be on her toes, she thinks the man is scouting them out for a robbery.
With her co worker warned the man came back in, both hands behind his back, the man walked slowly to the register, wife said she must have looked like a deer in lights and the man pulled only 1 hand into sight keeping the other behind his back, the man put a 5 on the desk and said something to the effect of "were good now?" Wife just says yes and have a good day, the man stood there for a few seconds and walked out, still concealing his other hand.
When the man left the wife locked the door and began closing, she says she had never been so scared, just by the guys actions and began thinking, "what if he robbed me" or wondering why he was being so "weird" however, she did get to see his face, only after doing the cut.

After her telling me this, I figured it would be time to get her concealed pistol license, she loves to shoot, and "owns" a gun, I only put it in quotes because its actually my gun, but I leave it in her night stand for self defense at home while Im at work. Its a S&W 908, not the best gun out there, but its 9mm and she likes how it fits in her hand.
I offered to pay for the class and the license for her, but she refused. Mind you, this isnt the only time shes had an issue while at work, on her way to work, or on her way home from some place. Shes been followed by a road rager, and forgotten her phone at home so she had to rely on some oil changing people to help her when the lunatic wouldnt leave her be, and kept following her, attempting to run her off the road over a simple mistake on the expressway. But to no success, the wife says "Im not like you, I cant carry a big gun at work" so I offered to get her the Ruger LC9 or a S&W Bodyguard, something small that she can very easily conceal, but she wont do it, she says shell keep her OC in her station just in case. I told her it was like bringing a knife to a gun fight, but shes comfortable with her method of self defense.

Now, you see the issue, I dont know what to do, Im going to keep on her about it, however, all attempts, even after all issues considered, she refuses to take the class. I figure on dragging her in when I have to recert next year. Again, shes not opposed to guns, she just doesnt want to be the one to carry it, which is her right to choose not to carry, but, maybe ill have to let her see a few youtube videos, maybe those will help change her mind.

Your thoughts?

you are fighting a battle that you will never win, she will carry only when she decides that she needs/wants to carry, until then I would lay off

Many people, not just females, cannot put their minds around the fact they might actually have to kill someone to save their own lives and oftentimes it is their own self-doubt that forces them to take the decision to NOT carry, rationalizing it by telling others and themselves that it won't happen to them. I don't have an easy answer to that. My wife doesn't carry either, but we live in a low crime area. My wife has a hard time racking a round or even pulling a double action trigger! I think if she had to in order to save her life, the adrenaline would probably give her enough strength to do it, but without that, it makes training very hard to do, almost impossible. She's just not very strong. It's almost amazing to watch her struggle to try and pull the trigger on any of my handguns in double action. She just can't do it. Single action (if I cock the hammer for her) is possible, but for obvious reasons, that isn't a good thing. Good luck to you in any case. Hopefully she will not be robbed.

I was one that didn't care one way or another about carrying until I was caught looking down the barrel of a gun on the wrong end. I now carry every where.
She won't carry until she's ready, & by that I mean until she decides that she may have to take someones life.

You will only make you situation worse if you continue your prescribed course of action. She is the one who needs to be comfortable with the idea and some day she will surprise you and you will be able to say finally. Until them let her be with her own sense of security and keep taking her to the range shooting since she likes to do that already. She may get to know some females that carry and they may help you down the road. Be safe and Be patient.

My wife, while owning a .38 special, will not have the mindset to pull the trigger on someone who threatens her with grave bodily harm. She is scared to death of guns, and that may be her undoing, in her time of need. I've had instructors work with her, put in a half dozen or so range sessions, where she likes it when she hits silhouettes, but to turn the revolver (she can't rack slides, arm shattered in accident) in her self defense, against a human, not going to happen.

Some people, men and women alike, have fears that for whatever reasons, are built into their psychological makeup. It's just the way it is. My wife won't carry, but knows how to shoot with her nightstand .38 special, and that's all I may hope for. We don't talk about it any more. I don't mention mindset and protecting her life any more as well.

Don't push it, it is what it is.

My wife had a severe conflict (don't we all?) when presented with the question of whether to shoot another human being in order to be able to continue to stay alive.

And that conflict was resolved when I asked her if she would shoot a predator trying to rape and kill her grand daughter. And if she was willing to do that then why wouldn't she be willing to shoot a rapist trying to rape and kill herself... so she could stay alive to protect her grand daughter from that rapist.

My thoughts.... quit bugging her.

If she'll come around, she'll come around, but you insisting she come around, may actually do more damage than good. If the conversation comes up, yes say something, but I'd stop going out my way to try to "convince" her.

It has been my experience that no amount of "convincing" is helpful. State the facts, lead by an example, and if she chooses to carry someday, she will. You can't force someone to do something they are not comfortable to do.

My wife refuses to carry also. She said she would carry pepper spray and matbe a tazer. She does not think crime is as bad in our area as it is. She can shot any gun I have, pistol, revolver, rifle, or shot gun, so that is not the problem either. I just hope nothing bad happens to her.

While I completely understand your concerns for her safety and your doing this out of love you need to listen to these guys,it needs to be her decision.Think of it this way you telling her to carry is like someone else telling you that you can't.Give it some time see what happens.GOOD LUCK

"Quit bugging her" doesn't mean you never talk with her about it, but you choose your moments carefully. I'm working on my own wife. She loves the fact that I'm carrying - now. Took her a long time to accept that. Now she takes comfort in it. But she's still not ready to pull the trigger on carrying herself. I'm afraid it is going to take an incident that hits close to home to convince her. In the meantime, I still speak with her every once in a while when it is appropriate to do so.

She's going to need a new purse for Christmas. Hmmm... Maybe a gun tote'n mamas.....

I'm not sure how to change your wife's mind, but I suspect the guy had planned to rob her but was too scared to go thru with it ... his first day on the job in his newly chosen career as a hold-up man.

My wife isn't interested in carrying either. I still want her to get her CHL though for one big reason.

Here in Ohio, the laws for transporting firearms are different for CHL holders and non-CHL holders.

Without a CHL, if I happen to leave a loaded gun secured in one of our vehicles, she could be in big trouble driving that car without unloading the gun first. I believe it is a felony here.

For us, a likely scenario is if she were to drop me off at school and go run some errands.

I'm hoping to get her to take the class soon so that the rules are the same for both of us.

-SF

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

My wife had a severe conflict (don't we all?) when presented with the question of whether to shoot another human being in order to be able to continue to stay alive.

And that conflict was resolved when I asked her if she would shoot a predator trying to rape and kill her grand daughter. And if she was willing to do that then why wouldn't she be willing to shoot a rapist trying to rape and kill herself... so she could stay alive to protect her grand daughter from that rapist.

I don't think I ever had that conflict.

No class-requirements here, but long before my wife got her permission slip (like in '95 or thereabouts), she asked to start joining me whenever I took a shooting academy course. We've taken all of the home defense courses together that a (fairly) local school offers in pistol, rifle and shotgun (9 courses altogether, beginner, intermediate and advanced). She excelled in all of them, and if I recall correctly, she got her permission slip after the second beginner class in rifle, maybe '97 or '98, somewhere in that time-frame. She has every kind of female-friendly holster known to womankind. We just celebrated our 25th Anniversary July 30th, and she enjoys shooting at least as much as I do, and with a pistol anyway, is usually better than me on any given day. Still, I remind her constantly not to forget her gun, because if I don't stay on her about it, she will forget. Every once in a great while she'll give a big sigh and walk back in the bedroom to get it, but for the most part, she just says "Thanks for reminding me" and grabs it without any sign of being bugged by my nagging. So I keep nagging.

I also know she lies to me about actually carrying it while she's out and about. She likes to ride her bike on a path that's installed through a wooded area by a creek. Two different such places in fact. The parking area is out in the open, and when she remembers, she puts her gun in a small zippered bag attached to the frame of her bike. The other day she was loading her bike on her car rack and I happened to notice her gun was on the nightstand, so I just discreetly took it out to her and saw her put it in her center console. When she got home I said, "How was your ride?" "Great!" she says," it's so pretty outside today!" I said, "Did you put your gun on the bike?" She says, "Yes Dear." That answer is her "tell" that she's lying. I've known it for years, and even told her I know that "Yes Dear" is just her way of getting me to stop talking about whatever I'm talking to her about. Then I thought about it and realized she wouldn't have transferred the weapon from her center console to the bag on her bike while in an open parking lot anyway. Oh well. Usually she carries, so I don't make a deal about the few times I know she's BS'n me about it. But even if I did, she doesn't have any real doubts that my motivation is completely for her safety. She might get tired of hearing the nagging every once in awhile, but she knows the only thing it gets me is peace of mind. It's not like she thinks I'm "making" her carry because I'm overly controlling or anything.

My advice is involve her in every aspect of shooting that you involve yourself in, and include gentle reminders all the time about getting qualified to carry. If she gets qualified, then keep gently nudging her towards getting the permission slip. If she goes that far, keep trying to get her to carry. If she does sometimes, keep trying to get her to develop the good habit of carrying all the time. On that last score, it may be another 25 years before my wife acquiesces and does it all the time, but I will not give up trying. It's one of those issues where I can finally answer, "No Honey, in this case, I really do know what's best." ;-)~

Blues

Your thoughts?

If your wife is like mine, she would never want to hurt a fly. If you say she does have a gun at work that's a good start. As far as never bringing it up again, I think that's a bad idea. If her main concern is being robbed, then having her gun at her station or at the register might fit the profile of what she thinks she needs to be prepared for. The fact that she tells you of things that scare her at work instead of keeping it to herself (because she knows you'll start your gun argument again) probably means her mind is more open than you think. Us guys are really dumb about how women think...
-
This might be worth a try, but you'll have to decide. If she is like my wife she is less concerned about herself than others. Try to let her know that she would be doing it for YOU. You would feel safer knowing she's protected. You wouldn't worry so much, etc. Also make sure she understands that many robberies do not end with the victims happy and healthy. If you have kids, parents, other relatives or friends you can you can bring up as others possibly hurt by her not protecting herself that might work too.
-
Obviously wait for what you see as a good time to bring it up. Good Luck.

Think of it this way, when she nags you about something does it make you more or less likely to want to do it?

You can't make her carry. That decision is up to her. If she's not 100% sure she could pull the trigger and take a person's life if she needed to in order to protect hers, she shouldn't have it on her. It sounds like you just want her to be able to protect herself, and that is what we all want for our loved ones, but it is ultimately up to them.

My wife was concerned about her ability to rack the slide on a semi-auto due to arthritis in her hands. Fortunately our LGS has a number of female employees, including the owners wife. They didn't choose the typical 'women can't manage a semi-auto' and taught her technique to easily rack any semi-auto.

Her first shooting experience was with rental guns, and one of the female employees walked her through it. She now has an XD9 Service in a bedside safe and a XD9 sub-compact as a carry weapon (she has her CHP). I have also mounted a concealed holster in her van, easily accessible by her.

Her mind set toward some piece of trash breaking in vs. her safety, is clear, and she is very biased that the trash should be taken out. Her view toward the worth of such trash is clear, and the trash don't want to challenge her. I came home the other day to find that she had one of her guns on the table beside her chair because a convict on work release had walked away from his job a couple of miles away.

Me? I'll take the trash out as soon as I have them in my sights, if she doesn't beat me to it. Perhaps it's "the older we get, the more we adopt the 'f' them attitude toward anyone that believes they have the right to stuff we worked for" syndrome. Either way, we live in a state with a castle doctrine, and the castle and it's occupants come first.

Now the trash from the kitchen is exclusively my task.:wink:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back