Why I open carry

hammer826

Let me first say that even though I almost exclusively open carry, if you choose to remain concealed, great, I'm just glad you carry. But I see comments on here (and on USConcealedcarry.com) that make me feel the need for this post.

I have seen comments that open carry sets us back in the gun law arena as it makes people uncomfortable and sets a bad example. That we need to change opinions quietly and so forth. Can I tell you that I have NEVER ONCE had any body ask me about why I carry when I was concealed. But since I have been open carrying, I have had lots of great discussions about exercising my rights. And I have made a few converts that way. There are several businesses that I frequent, including a bank, and as people get to know me, they'll say "Can I ask you a question?" And it is either Are you a cop, or, what do you do for a living? And that opens the door for some good discourse.

Yes some people might be uncomfortable when they see a gun. You know why? Because most of the exposure they get is from an anti gun media. Or movies. If they never see any regular folks toting a personal protection device, it is hard to get used to it. Some of the places I do business have cops posted on duty. It gets them used to seeing regular folks carrying also. I have never had a cop question me about carrying a gun, not even in the bank where I make deposits for my church. I have come across local PD, county and State Highway patrol and not once have they ever given me grief.
And personally, if exercising my rights makes you nervous, move to China, where you don't have any rights to exercise. How I vote would make some folks nervous, but I don't check with em about that either.

I used to see guys on that other website wringing their hands about what if their kids found out they carried a gun. You know what, you ought to be educating your kids and your wife about such things. My kids have known I carry, even when I was concealed, and they were taught that other folks did not need to know everything. Never had a problem. But my kids knew that Dad would protect them at all costs. The youngest was four when I started carrying. Believe it or not, children can be trained to obey Mom and Dad and not discuss certain things.

You are not educating anybody by hiding it. If you aren't interested in educating anybody, that's fine. But don't tell me you are going to change anybody's opinion when you can't even let people close to you know. That is why I started open carrying.

One last thing.I am self employed and most of the work I do is in Columbus, Oh. Some areas are kind of rough. A couple of months ago, I had a guy at a gas station get pretty agressive in his request for cash. At that time, the door to my truck was open and was between the two of us so he could not see my gun. I told him the money I had was going to be spent on a cold drink for myself when I went into the station. I never raised my voice or showed any emotion whatsoever. Maybe that made him think I was soft, I don't know. He moved on, but as I was walking to the door, he started to intercept me. When he looked down and saw the .40 M&P on my hip, his exact words were "Oh ho ho" as he made a quick u turn and headed in the other direction. At least I didn't have to call PD and explain that I just drew on a guy, or worse. By the way, he told me he had just gotten out of the county jail and didn't have any money. He was wearing surgical gloves and looked to be in desperate need of a fix. I thought he looked like a threat. I guess the feeling was mutual.

I agree that this is a good post. However, I don't wish to engage anyone (except here) in conversations about why I carry. I'll leave that to others.

It is great having the option here in NC. While I CC mostly, I dont get spun up or concerned if my carry just happens to become visible. To me, it would be a little stressful if open carry was not allowed at all as I would be very conscious of my weapon becoming visible. I dont have a lot of money to spend on dozens of holsters so I tend to get them so I have the capability to wear it both ways. I rarely get noticed but have answered a few questions on occasion.

CC mostly but will OC around my property (OC legal). Bcuz MO law allows municipalities to preempt state OC law it is tough to keep city limits in mind when moving about the metro. Safer to CC. But to Chief1297's point I don't worry about visibility when in OC-safe areas.

I Open Carry a full sized 1911 in condition 1 from the time I wake until I lay my head down to sleep. I never am more than an arms reach away from some form of self defense. I live in rural community and get comments and questions all the time. Some positive responses, some not so positive. I am, as far as I know, the only open carrier in Buffalo County WI. I go to La Crosse and I see others open carrying. For me, I choose to OC because I do not wish to be a victim nor do I wish to have my rights ripped from me. Use em or lose em...

Hardballer out!

I live in Florida, and right now, open carry is not an option. If it were, I would probably still carry concealed. But that might change if many people were open carrying. I'm still of the opinion that if someone knows I'm armed, they may: avoid me because of the risk, or shoot me without warning because I am their first obstacle to whatever they want. As long as no one knows I'm armed, I am just another citizen. In Florida, the crime rate has dropped dramatically since CCW was allowed. I have to believe that the BGs know there is a good possibility they may be killed if they attempt a crime.

BUT - if OC was the law, and you saw people carrying all over the place, then I might re-think my options.

Great Post Hammer826. You sure the BG didn't say Po-Po, that's slang for Police

Unfortunately here in SC we're not allowed to OC without extreme limited restrictions. I do believe the more people OC the more the general sheepeople will be accustom to and full acceptance would not be far behind. We'll be working on it with the new legislature this coming year.

I do take issue with a recurring statement by others about being targeted first. I have posted numerous times on different threads and asked "Show me 1 example of a person that was OC'ing being shot first". NO one has yet posted a story. I've even ask a family member that is a retired DOJ Criminal Stats type and he could not give me one either. MY guess is that this is still embedded propaganda of fear propagated by the Left.

Stay safe..........

I agree with you Mappow. The great majority of criminals are pure cowards. That is why they go after people they percieve to be weak. They really don't want to risk their lives for a few bucks.

All of the self defense articles tell you to use body language to show that you are not an easy target. Walk like you are in charge, keep your head up, look em in the eye. Plus, almost all of the accounts I read indicate that the majority of encounters are over as soon as the BG sees the weapon. I know, not all, but a majority. More proof that BGs are cowards.

I figure if they see I am armed, they probably think I am willing to use it if needed. And they'll move on to easier prey.

What's really funny though is when I am in Columbus, and I stop to eat some where, the thugs will just about go bug eyed when they see whitey packing. No offense to anybody on this forum. I always want to say "You're not used to seeing it outside the waistband are you?" But discretion is the better part of valor, so I keep my big mouth shut.

Indiana law is silent on the mode of carry, so we can carry either way. I have carried both ways, but I mostly carry concealed so that if a confrontation breaks out, and I must present my handgun, I want the gun to be a surprise to everyone but me.

Shots fired...

People ask why I carry a gun. Gunshots just rang out nearby. I called the Sheriff's office and they asked if I felt threatened. I said not directly but I do not like gunshots going off near my home. It's dark out. Past hunting time. They said the closest officer was about 20 miles away. They would note the time and he would cruise by when he got a chance.

If you are not armed, you are prey.

From a friend who is a LEO

A friend of mine who is a LEO (actually detective) said whenever he OC's, he wears his badge on his belt in front of his holster, only to let little blue haired ladies feel comfortable. The other day it was unseasonably warm here in AZ, so I OC'ed in an Applebee's the hostess looked at me up and down and had a look of concern. I smiled and said "don't worry, I'm a good guy". She them smiled back and seated us.

I am still amazed at how many people look when I OC, maybe I should grab my old badge out of storage and wear it, but then again, they would REALLY look funny at me since i am now disabled.

Gimpy

A friend of mine who is a LEO (actually detective) said whenever he OC's, he wears his badge on his belt in front of his holster, only to let little blue haired ladies feel comfortable.

Gimpy

You mean our government has been lying to us?!? Didn't they pass the LEOSA because they said LEO were in more danger from criminals than the rest of us? So, if it is true, that LEO are in more danger from criminals than the rest of us, thus entitling them to firearms "rights" that the rest of us aren't, why would your friend ADVERTISE that he is LEO when off duty?

If it is true that LEO are in more danger than the rest of us, like the government says, than I would think your friend would be more concerned about the criminals seeing his badge than he would be about blue haired ladies seeing his gun.

I don't know, I just guess he like to brag with his pretty gold badge, LOL. He LOOKS like a cop, 6'5" bald (shaves) and built like a brick house.

I am in southeast Michigan, we can ccw or oc, so I normally carry on my belt oc and my gun is normally covered by a shirt or coat. The wind has blown my shirt or coat a number of times exposing my gun, no one has ever said anything.

I've never liked having to hide my weapon and here in Washington State I OC 99% of the time and have been for a few years now.

To the nay Sayers that OC is bad... Look back some time ago in Arizona, a black man slung an AR across his back. They said it would set us back, they said it was bad for the cause. Well now Arizona has Constitutional Carry and as you can see it turned out really bad for Arizona.

I have just recently gotten involved in the OC movement. I have not OCed yet, but I have been out several times with OCers. As of last week, I have started carrying my Colt King Cobra 357 (loaded) with me in the house and around my property.

I told my wife she will need to get used to looking at me holstering up. I put my Colt on when I dress in the morning and take it off just before I get ready for bed. She has shown absolutely no problem with my carrying.

I wish I were much younger. I am retired and I am reluctant to OC out in the public here in northern CA. I don't want to be arrested and be found guilty of a felony and end of leaving my wife alone while I serve time. I sure wouldn't look forward to housing with some of the inmates in our prisons. Need I say more?

I am quite proud of you young people who see the importance of standing up for your God-given right to self-protection. The same goes for you middle-aged and older people as well.

Be careful out there!

There is no law here that prevents it nor one that condones it.
I was told in this day and age open carry here in MA is a good way to loose the license...

I try to imagine the patriots that walked here 230+ years ago carrying their arms openly and making no fuss over any man who did the same...

Surrounded by frigging rights trampling liberal sheep who would crap themselves at the sight of one now...

So I keep it out of sight...

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back