Why I open carry

Great post. First you should have a huge pat on the back for taking the time to talk with your family about what affects the whole family. I live in Wy. just moved here in Aug. from Il. we have OC and CC I prefer the open carry. Am not eligable for CC yet but will get when able. I am a former prison guard and worked around the worst that Chicago, Il. had to offer. Trust me folks all the BG's are not locked up some never will be or have not been caught. But I refuse for my family to be the reason they do get caught. Open carry is a big determent. Just they same way a person who is 4 ft tall does not pick a fight with some one 7 ft tall.

Oh how I love Lancaster Ohio!!!! I actually go down there quite a bit due to my line of work, and I always like to stop in Ohio Valley Outdoors "bought 2 guns there" and gawk about and/or talk with the boys at the gun counter. Haven't shot at the range yet "hope to soon"....anybody that is ever in the area should stop on in, it is a great outdoors shop. Being that Lancaster is a good ole boy town, Im sure OC isn't going to cause much of a stir.:no:

As for OC in the great Buckeye state, I find myself doing it more often. I too feel that it seems to just make more sense than concealed at times. Yes I get some funny looks at times, but most seem positive and with respect. I ride allot, and folks for sure can see my Glock.....nobody ever tailgates me that is for sure.:biggrin: Also no need to brandish a weapon, the perp would get the point quickly at a glance. I live NE of Cbus, and I agree that there are a "few" parts of the big city that aren't real safe to be in. But for being the 15th largest city in the USA, it is also one of the safest. This is a great thread for sure, and I hope many others take to it as well.

Oh how I love Lancaster Ohio!!!!

Lancaster? as in Ohio? its gotten terriable. i'm from lancaster and its turned bad, every subway now has a gun buster sign and some other places have put them up. I really have gotten tired of the Columbus people who moved down and brought there rude attitude with them. :angry:

Lancaster? as in Ohio? its gotten terriable. i'm from lancaster and its turned bad, every subway now has a gun buster sign and some other places have put them up. I really have gotten tired of the Columbus people who moved down and brought there rude attitude with them. :angry:

Hopefully your not refering to "me" as a rude Cbus person?:cray: I am a good ole boy from Southwestern OH "Highland county", and maybe it is just Subway that are really being idiots about the no weapons signs? I honestly don't see that many at all, and I doubt that some even obey the signs anyways.:sarcastic: I will also bet that more folks that live and are from Lancaster, drive to Cbus to work more then the opposite.

He's not talking about you Pokey. Sar-nut is a buddy of mine. He's talking about all the gang bangers and wannabes bringing their drugs and related crime down here.

A week or so ago, a lady got mugged in the parking lot where my wife shops for groceries. My wife finally sees the need to be armed.:yes2:
I have been softly working on her to take steps to protect herself when I can't be there.

That's the trick guys. Don't push too hard. Just keep pointing things out like break ins in your neighborhood, purse snatchings and things like that. I'll just read the crime reports in the paper and say something out loud like "Man,some lady got mugged over where you shop" and just kind of let that sink in for a while. It's taken two years, but she is ready to go to the range and learn how to shoot.

The only thing that could make my wife more beautiful is the confidence to take care of herself.

I live in Florida, and right now, open carry is not an option. If it were, I would probably still carry concealed. But that might change if many people were open carrying. I'm still of the opinion that if someone knows I'm armed, they may: avoid me because of the risk, or shoot me without warning because I am their first obstacle to whatever they want. As long as no one knows I'm armed, I am just another citizen. In Florida, the crime rate has dropped dramatically since CCW was allowed. I have to believe that the BGs know there is a good possibility they may be killed if they attempt a crime.

BUT - if OC was the law, and you saw people carrying all over the place, then I might re-think my options.

I feel that open carry is the best way to deter violent criminals from targeting you.
I live near Panama City, If open carry was legal and not restricted in public buildings, That idiot who shot up the School Board meeting would have been stopped before getting off a shot, or he may have thought twice about even doing that crime in the first place. If SB 234 to allow open carry by CCW licensees passes into law, I will open carry everywhere it is legal.

Open carry can get you in trouble

I live in Minnesota, which is not a traditional open carry state. Open carry is legal however with a Minnesota permit. That being said if you open carry you are likely to be arrested for brandishing. To brandish a firearm means to show, wave or point it in a manner which others find threatening. So if I wear a gun where someone can see it, someone will find it threatening.
Unless you live in a state where open carry is a common practice you will be looked upon as a danger to society, a gun kook, or worse.
As I see it the main benifit to open carry is that it allows you quicker access to your weapon. Most other benifits also have a downside that offsets the benifit.

To brandish a firearm means to show, wave or point it in a manner which others find threatening. So if I wear a gun where someone can see it, someone will find it threatening.

That is NOT what the Minnesota statute defines as threatening with a firearm.

Link Removed

625.16 CARRYING DANGEROUS WEAPONS.

Whoever shall go armed with a dirk, dagger, sword, pistol, or other offensive and dangerous weapon, without reasonable cause to fear an assault or other injury or violence to person, family, or property, may, on complaint of any other person having reasonable cause to fear an injury or breach of the peace, be required to find sureties for keeping the peace, for a term not exceeding six months, with the right of appealing as before provided.
History:

(10563) RL s 5222; 1986 c 444

The Minnesota statute says that the complainer must have REASONABLE CAUSE for fear, it does NOT say that they just feel fear. If a holstered handgun is reasonable cause for someone feeling fear, than police officers would be guilty every day. I do not see an exception in the statute above for police officers. I don't know if there is Minnesota case law to establish that a holstered firearm does not rise to the level of reasonable cause for fear. But I don't think that would be very hard to establish. Obviously nobody wants to be the person to establish it.

We are lucky, here in Washington our statute is fairly similar and the Washington courts have ruled, more than once, that a holstered firearm does NOT warrant alarm. They have even ruled in cases that a firearm carried in the hand did NOT warrant alarm.

It is great having the option here in NC. While I CC mostly, I dont get spun up or concerned if my carry just happens to become visible. To me, it would be a little stressful if open carry was not allowed at all as I would be very conscious of my weapon becoming visible. I dont have a lot of money to spend on dozens of holsters so I tend to get them so I have the capability to wear it both ways. I rarely get noticed but have answered a few questions on occasion.

Amen to that. It's a great relief that there you can't get charged with any nonsense if your gun should become exposed. Some states don't allow that sort of thing and it would stress me out, too.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back