Why do you own a kimber ?

wizard

I was reading a post the otherday and was suprised by the number of people who own a Kimber. I know that they are popular, but what is the big draw to this brand? I am not bashing anyone for there choices or the 1911 crowd, I own a 1911. Just curious as to what makes them so popular.

I'm curious of the same thing. They have a premium price tag which would initially make you believe premium quality or features. But from all the magazines I look at, they have a premium advertising budget... exceptionally more than other manufacturers.

Owned the original "Clackamas" roll mark. Nothing exceptional re: accuracy. Sold it. MASSIVE advertising budget....

From what I understand, they have exceptionally small tolerances. So if a Glock or a Springfield might have a part that can pass inspection with a half millimeter variance, the Kimber requires the same part to carry a fraction of that.

This translates to more reliability and durability. These are meant to be weapons that last a lifetime and are passed down. There is also a lot of prestige to the name. They are truly hand-crafted and highly customized.

Now as to whether all this makes much of a difference in the field, I can't say.

I've owned Kimbers for years. When they first came out with 1911's the they were a very good value. That was in late 90s. Colt was pulling out of the civilian market. They filled a gape between low end imports and high end custom 1911's. A lot of my service buddies also bought Kimbers. None of us paid more than $900 back then. Now all I see in stores are $1,200 and up. I don't recommend Kimber now. Springfield Armory it now my recommendation for starter match grade 1911's. Hard to beat Range Officer at $770-870. With some Kimber's running north of $2K I recommend Les Beaer, Wilson Combat, or Ed Brown. Lots of great 1911 choices now. I agree Kimber magazines are worthless... Range only.... Never carry to prone to FTF. I use Wilson Combat magazines. Other than that love the full size Kimber I kept. Sold my first model year Pro Carry years ago. I carry my full size sometimes in winter months. Not my EDC, but it's my 2nd most carried handgun.

They are beautiful guns. I'll look at a glock and want to laugh at the price tag but then look at a kimber and think, some day!

I own a Kimber Crimson Carry and it is awesome. They r expensive but they come stock with match grade barrels which make them surgically accurate.

I carry the Kimber Custom TLEII with Crimson Laser grips and after chunking the junk factory mags and buying Kimber Kim-Pro Tac mags the gun functions flawlessly. Tolerances and accuracy are superb. My BUG is a Chiappa Rhino 200ds but I will be switching it out with a Kimber Custom TLEII Compact.

I just bought my first Kimber. Yes, it was EXPENSIVE, but most things that are nice are. The handcrafted quality is awesome and the gun itself is a show piece! Kind of like having a Winchester or a replica that shoots almost as nicely but just isn't quite the same gun mechanically or aesthetically!

pretty sad when u pay $1200 for a gun and have to go and buy new mags right after, ill stick to my "plastic" guns with mags that work well and dont need to be changed at $50 a piece.

I own a Kimber 1911 for the same reason I own a Sig Sauer 1911...Quality. Never had any problems with any make of 7 or 8 round magazine's I use in it either.

I got mine for $20. I had won mine at a Friends of NRA Dinner and the ticket for the game was $20. Kimber Custom II.

So that's why I own one.

I have 2 Kimbers. One worked pretty good. One had to go back 3x before they got it right. So tolerances ?? Dunno. My 3 Glock never had a problem. My Kimbers are a work of art but for one Kimber I can have 2 1/2 Glocks. I like them both. But if Shtf my G23 is my go gun. JMO

I have been a Sig guy most of my life. Love them. I also really 'almost' love my other pristine guns.

Kimber has always been a 'someday' gun for me because the price was just a little higher than most and prettier than most, not all.

I recently, last couple of years, started thinking about one but started hearing the QC issues lately and was getting a little sad I didn't get one when they were on top.

I read more and started talking to folks who have had them awhile and some who just recently got them.

In real life there were very little complaints and the few who did complain seemed to blow it out of proportion, because it was a Kimber and it should have been perfect.

I also found that the Kimber Custom Shop guns had very few problems and were held in high regard.

I finally decided to buy a Ultra Raptor II because of it's size, weight and special metal work. I really like it, it shoots well, has very little kick compared to my SA 1911-A1 or my Para P14. It has about the same kick as my SA TRP full rail, which is a pretty heavy gun.

I thought being that it had an alloy frame, short stock and wooden grips that it may bite, but it's really a joy. Every bit as nice as my P228, which until now was my single most favorite carry gun.

When I feel like it's gonna be a Cowboys and Indians kind of day I'll still carry the P228 cause the capacity is great but when it's only gonna be a 1 or 2 dirtbag day, the little Kimber will do.

Seriously though, I'm glad I finally own a Kimber, it's everything I hoped it would be and besides, I have a 'Kimber' now. :):):)

KK

Kimber of late have experienced some issues. If you want match barrel you have several mfg that will provide that at a reduced price. Glocks feed...Feed..Feed...(but ugly guns) That is what they were made for...I've seen them left in mud for a week. It was pulled apart and ran under water, then fired...No way a Kimber or the Para Warthog would pass this test...I have two go to guns. Glock 27 and Para Warthog...The Para was more than I wanted to pay, but I wanted a stainless...I have said I would own a Kimber one day too...The day has just not come.

...I've seen them left in mud for a week. It was pulled apart and ran under water, then fired...No way a Kimber or the Para Warthog would pass this test...

And now you've just nailed it down. Glock owners have no respect for their guns:):)

A Kimber owner would NEVER let his Kimber be thrown in the mud:):) Your point is moot :):)

KK

I owm my Kimber to show to my friends and shoot at the range . I keep a glock by my bed / and carry a springfield sub compact to show the BGs ////\\\\

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back