why correctional officers cannot open carry or concealed in all states?

fbates

We as officers have our family to protect, off duty, what about our lives ?

Because we are not considered Law Enforcement in all states.

In the State of Indiana we are considered Public Safety Officers under the Indiana Constitution and our service academy does not give us arrest powers.

We are Public Servants doing a dangerous job, going in with the felons convicted of murder, rape, molestation, burglary, etc, etc, etc. We run the risk at work of being assaulted daily, and I for one have been. I know officers that have not only been assaulted, but came out needing many reconstructive surgeries, and one that lost an eye. I count myself lucky that I was able to defend myself as well as I did and only had one assailant, but even so I still suffer migraines from the pounding I took. But you are correct, we get none of the benefits of the LEOs.

Now, in some states, the Correctional Officers are LEOs. For those that go through ILEA, they would get the LEO benefits and can carry in all 50 US States. But for those of us like you and I, we are just Public Safety Officers, like Firemen, which the public puts in the back of their minds and gives no consideration to, not even the consideration they give to the Fire Department.

Because we are not considered Law Enforcement in all states.

In the State of Indiana we are considered Public Safety Officers under the Indiana Constitution and our service academy does not give us arrest powers.

We are Public Servants doing a dangerous job, going in with the felons convicted of murder, rape, molestation, burglary, etc, etc, etc. We run the risk at work of being assaulted daily, and I for one have been. I know officers that have not only been assaulted, but came out needing many reconstructive surgeries, and one that lost an eye. I count myself lucky that I was able to defend myself as well as I did and only had one assailant, but even so I still suffer migraines from the pounding I took. But you are correct, we get none of the benefits of the LEOs.

Now, in some states, the Correctional Officers are LEOs. For those that go through ILEA, they would get the LEO benefits and can carry in all 50 US States. But for those of us like you and I, we are just Public Safety Officers, like Firemen, which the public puts in the back of their minds and gives no consideration to, not even the consideration they give to the Fire Department.

I would surmise as a correction officer, you do not carry a firearm and I also surmise, other than in states where some go through ILEA, you are not trained to the extent that an LEO is trained so carrying outside of your job other than a permit like everyone else makes sense. You have a dangerous job that, as you say, can cause you intimate personal harm but you chose the job and in the environment of a prison, common sense just screams that you should not be carrying a firearm. You do not feel you get the respect of a firearm and even that is understandable from the standpoint of the public who, in general, have no idea what you do as opposed to a fireman, who the public can see everyday doing their job. I do not think anything is going to change with regards to your comments other than becoming an LEO or finding another job. From your comments I surely understand the angst in your words--just stating what I consider obvious interpretations of the dilemma you face.

I would surmise as a correction officer, you do not carry a firearm and I also surmise, other than in states where some go through ILEA, you are not trained to the extent that an LEO is trained so carrying outside of your job other than a permit like everyone else makes sense. You have a dangerous job that, as you say, can cause you intimate personal harm but you chose the job and in the environment of a prison, common sense just screams that you should not be carrying a firearm. You do not feel you get the respect of a firearm and even that is understandable from the standpoint of the public who, in general, have no idea what you do as opposed to a fireman, who the public can see everyday doing their job. I do not think anything is going to change with regards to your comments other than becoming an LEO or finding another job. From your comments I surely understand the angst in your words--just stating what I consider obvious interpretations of the dilemma you face.

Depending on the need we are indeed trained in weapons. I am current in Rifle and Shotgun, and have had Handgun in the past. No, we do not carry firearms 'on the ground' in the prison. They are either 'in the Towers' or used during trips or the outside perimeter.

However, I believe fbates' thoughts, and certainly my own reason for carrying off duty, is that as a Correctional Professional of 13 years, I can run into a former 'Resident' of my fine establishment that shall have less than fond remembrances of me and want to do something about it 'outside.' However, I do also believe, that the further I go from Indiana, the less likely I am to run into those former Residents, and am quite happy to just use the normal permits available to me. I have the Indiana Lifetime License to Carry Handgun, and am considering on getting either a Arizona, Florida, or Utah permit (or combination thereof) so I can carry in Ohio and several other states...

- Snippage-
You do not feel you get the respect of a firearm and even that is understandable from the standpoint of the public who, in general, have no idea what you do as opposed to a fireman, who the public can see everyday doing their job. I do not think anything is going to change with regards to your comments other than becoming an LEO or finding another job. From your comments I surely understand the angst in your words--just stating what I consider obvious interpretations of the dilemma you face.

Actually, I just like to take the time to educate people as to just what it is Correctional Staff do face. By putting it out there, in the broad sense what they face, in makes people go Hmmmm.

It may not help me personally. But it may help someone in the field eventually.

What about the rest of citizenry? Pfft.

I agree that ALL Citizenry needs to be able to protect themselves Wolf_Fire. But I believe that fbates was getting at that correctional officers can be specifically targeted solely because of their jobs for a form of retribution and he therefore thought we should have the same rights as LEOs. As I was pointing out in my post, depending on our states, we aren't Law Enforcement, but rather Public Safety. Therefore we do not get LEO consideration, and do and should rely on permits the same as the rest of the Citizenry.

I agree that ALL Citizenry needs to be able to protect themselves Wolf_Fire. But I believe that fbates was getting at that correctional officers can be specifically targeted solely because of their jobs for a form of retribution and he therefore thought we should have the same rights as LEOs. As I was pointing out in my post, depending on our states, we aren't Law Enforcement, but rather Public Safety. Therefore we do not get LEO consideration, and do and should rely on permits the same as the rest of the Citizenry.

OK, however, where do we draw the line? I worked in law enforcement, not as an LEO, but did take many to court, and some went to jail. I did not, and wasn't allowed to carry a weapon on the job, even though I did receive threats from more than one person I had to deal with. I too face the possibility of meeting on of the people that may want to retaliate against me. Shouldn't I be able to protect my family and myself?

OK, however, where do we draw the line? I worked in law enforcement, not as an LEO, but did take many to court, and some went to jail. I did not, and wasn't allowed to carry a weapon on the job, even though I did receive threats from more than one person I had to deal with. I too face the possibility of meeting on of the people that may want to retaliate against me. Shouldn't I be able to protect my family and myself?

Should a juror in a murder trial also be able to carry a gun? There are all kinds of angry people after a guilty verdict. Where do you draw the line?

By the reasoning of some posters here, then any person trained in firearms in the military, should be allowed to carry in all states also. But I don't see that occuring, I was in the military, and I'm pretty sure I can't carry in all states without the appropriate permits.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Should a juror in a murder trial also be able to carry a gun? There are all kinds of angry people after a guilty verdict. Where do you draw the line?

If I were in charge, I would relinquish my authority to draw my own lines for anybody else, and draw the line right where it says, "...shall not be infringed."

Why any individual thinks that any other individual is qualified to draw lines for them is a concept I have never, and can never, understand.

Of course if a juror is threatened s/he should have the right to defend themselves. What possible greater good is served by denying them that right?

Blues

Try teaching in the inner city.

There should be no permit system. This is an infringement. There should be no training requirements. This is an infringement. Get rid of the infringements, you get rid of the argument.

My national carry permit is called the 2nd Amendment. Unfortunately, we the people have elected officials who don't seem to get that.

I do not believe there should be special privileges to certain government agents just because some believe their job is tougher. This is called having a two tier legal system... a set of laws for the government officials and another for the subjects of the land. This, my friend, is the start of tyranny.

How come federal Correctons Officers are considered LEO's in all states and territories if their duties are similar to sate Correction Officers? As a matter of fact, in most states they don't have arrest powers.

We as officers have our family to protect, off duty, what about our lives ?

I, as a human, have my life and family to protect. There is nothing special about yours.

I so hate the troll posts whenever there is a new giveaway contest.

I, as a human, have my life and family to protect. There is nothing special about yours.

I so hate the troll posts whenever there is a new giveaway contest.

I don't really even think they're trolls per se. I think they honestly believe they're entitled as government employees to more rights than the citizens whose rights they are sworn to protect. The true irony of that is that the Constitution only puts limits on one group of people: government employees!

This country is, and has been for a long time, so screwed.

Blues

I for one don't pay attention to the give aways because I think any chance I have at winning is trivial in the first place.

Personally, I gave up expecting any 'Special' rights a long time ago. But I would like the public to realize a bit more about what correctional staff face before they just dismiss them as 'Rent-a-cops' or 'Cop Wanna-be's.'

Work is the one place I can't carry. Can't even consider carrying, and can't even leave my weapon in the car despite the 'Safe Harbor' law enacted here in Indiana because Penal Facilities are specifically excluded from the 'Safe Harbor.'

I for one don't pay attention to the give aways because I think any chance I have at winning is trivial in the first place.

Personally, I gave up expecting any 'Special' rights a long time ago. But I would like the public to realize a bit more about what correctional staff face before they just dismiss them as 'Rent-a-cops' or 'Cop Wanna-be's.'

Work is the one place I can't carry. Can't even consider carrying, and can't even leave my weapon in the car despite the 'Safe Harbor' law enacted here in Indiana because Penal Facilities are specifically excluded from the 'Safe Harbor.'

Wahhh... I can't keep my firearm in the car either in my state because apparently schools are considered "safe havens" in which shootings never happen. How many inmates have been shot in jail since 1980?... there have been close to 300 shooting deaths in our schools.

I'm not trying to dismiss how difficult your job is... but everyone has situations in which they need to protect themselves and every time our government officials disarm us there is more of our freedom being flushed down the toilet.

Wahhh... I can't keep my firearm in the car either in my state because apparently schools are considered "safe havens" in which shootings never happen. How many inmates have been shot in jail since 1980?... there have been close to 300 shooting deaths in our schools.

I'm not trying to dismiss how difficult your job is... but everyone has situations in which they need to protect themselves and every time our government officials disarm us there is more of our freedom being flushed down the toilet.

I think the one place firearms should be allowed is IN the schools. Especially by the teachers.

Then instead of cringing behind a desk because some psycho decided to pick that school to go on a rampage, the teacher could end the threat quickly...

Good news for Indiana is, our governor just signed a law making it legal to leave firearms concealed and secure in our personal vehicles on school grounds. Bad news is the law still allows for schools to tell STAFF they can't bring theirs to school if I recall correctly. If that isn't still retarded... I'll have to reread the final draft that got approved to be sure though...

Okay...here we go again. The most dangerous jobs in this country are taxi driver and midnight store clerk and pizza delivery. The public does not appreciate the dangerousness of those jobs because they think so little of the folks performing those jobs. The folks that do those jobs don't run around asking for you to praise them or worship them. Occasionally one is killed. Who here sheds any tears for them? You want a ride to the airport but could really careless about the driver getting stuck up and shot in the back of the head for 20 bucks and some pocket change. Let's have self protection for every life or for no life then we can really say that the strong will survive. No I don't do any of those jobs but I used to drive a taxi in virginia Beach until the midnight hackers we're bring shot up for a few lousy bucks. All life is worth protecting. No one is more special than another.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back