Who Carries A 1911 As Your Self Defense Gun

Tho I don't carry or own (any more) any 1911's, there are a number of departments out there that use them, and many people have used them successfully. They are beautiful, fairly thin and therefore easier to conceal than some other comparable handguns. ...Still wish i had my Taurus PT1911!

As for me, I haven't trained with a thumb safety so I'm in no hurry to carry a handgun for SD with one. To those that have, rest assured many of us "Glockers" do respect your decision to carry and train with a 1911.

One more thing, there is no such thing as a better style handgun for any one person than the one the person believes to be the best for his or herself.

Oh, and Merry Christmas!

1911 of the easy to roll

Have both a Para Slim Hawg and a Kimber Ultta Carry II. Few problems with feed in the Para.

I usually carry my 3.5" Colt Night Officer or my 4.25" S&W 1911. Cant argue with the 1911 for SD / Concealed carry. Very concealable due to flat profile.

i switched to a kimber kimpro, 4 in. barrel, full grip, 6 months ago. before that i carried a kimber ultra carry from 1999-2011. neither gun has ever failed in any manner, period. also switched my holster up when i went to the kimpro, to a blackhawk serp 2. carry strong side hip(rt). with a serpa double mag pouch on the left. with the ultra carry, i put over 5000 rounds through it, then replaced the recoil spring after learning it's supposed to be replaced like every 1500 rounds or so. excellent weapons both. got the kimpro, used, unfired for $650.00 from my local shop. seems the previous owner wasn't ready for a 1911 yet.

i switched to a kimber kimpro, 4 in. barrel, full grip, 6 months ago. before that i carried a kimber ultra carry from 1999-2011. neither gun has ever failed in any manner, period. also switched my holster up when i went to the kimpro, to a blackhawk serp 2. carry strong side hip(rt). with a serpa double mag pouch on the left. with the ultra carry, i put over 5000 rounds through it, then replaced the recoil spring after learning it's supposed to be replaced like every 1500 rounds or so. excellent weapons both. got the kimpro, used, unfired for $650.00 from my local shop. seems the previous owner wasn't ready for a 1911 yet.
And there are many that never will be ready for a 1911. They just can't handle them in .45 ACP.

I carry a para Expert GI 45 acp, most of the time. other times I carry a Springfiels tactical XD 45 acp will not carry anything less than 45 cal.

Wow, I am thankful for the posts, I thought I was the only one with a Kimber fetish. The CDP II is a grand piece. I worked my way up from the Ultra Carry and have three other Kimbers. The mid-size Eclipse is a must for me. The 1911, going on 101 years now, is tried and true.

Is that an extreme, the Para and the XD? I do not have a working knowledge of the XD but I am fascinated with the excitement of the brand. What is your evaluation of the XD and its numerous models? I have had the S&W .45 but found it very heavy, selling it after six months, unfired. The Para-s I had, one being the double action, are too bulky for an old man. Think? OH. I read the first part of your post over, It is a G.I. not a .45-14?

Question for you I own a para and the black finish is wearing off just from handling and being holstered. Do you have this same problem?

A Para or Kimber is in my dreams. Have used a Norinco for years. It's a full sized brick but I cannot remember ever having a jam after hundreds of rounds of many different brands of ammo.

The Norinco is not a bad 1911, I have knowledge of this via a very close friend who is an accomplished gunsmith. His father has shot this brand for years and loves it stating it will function with every type of ammo he feeds through it. I was a very proud and stuck up “Brand Name” fanatic, until experts proved me wrong. So, go figure. One man’s treasure, one man’s junk. As long as the weapon hits the target and is reliable, I would be happy to own and carry this.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back