What is the best handgun with the least kick?

The one somebody else holds

I think you're asking the wrong question. You need to ask which handgun or handguns have been proven to be effective in self-defense situations and then you need to ask yourself what you need to do to learn to tame this beast. If you do not feel that you can handle an effective handgun then you need to explore other possibilities for self-defense.

I think you're asking the wrong question. You need to ask which handgun or handguns have been proven to be effective in self-defense situations and then you need to ask yourself what you need to do to learn to tame this beast. If you do not feel that you can handle an effective handgun then you need to explore other possibilities for self-defense.

What exactly do you mean by an "effective handgun?" I hope you're not suggesting that if she can't handle at least a 9mm (or whatever you deem appropriate) she should stick with pepper spray? How demoralizing. An excellent way to drive people away from shooting. I really hope I read that wrong.

What exactly do you mean by an "effective handgun?" I hope you're not suggesting that if she can't handle at least a 9mm (or whatever you deem appropriate) she should stick with pepper spray? How demoralizing. An excellent way to drive people away from shooting. I really hope I read that wrong.

By "effective handgun" I'm referring to a weapon and cartridge that have historically proven to be reliable one-shot fight stoppers. There is plenty of empirical data regarding which cartridges are adequate for the purpose and there is no need for me to reiterate readily available data. If the truth were known, I would have to say that a 9 mm is a little light for the job. However, it does provide some minimum level of acceptable performance. I'm definitely suggesting that anyone who is unable to carry such a weapon would be much wiser to seek an alternate means of self-defense. There are several other viable options in addition to pepper spray. I do not think that being honest with one's self should be demoralizing. I'm not here to recruit people to be gunowners. I'm a very firm believer in fighting back against crime, however, I do not think that the firearm is the appropriate weapon for everyone.

My wife's friend is a message therapist, and over the years she has arthritis in her hands. And though she qualified for her carry license with a 9mm she prefers to carry a .38 spl. Easy on the hands and you just aim and shoot.

By "effective handgun" I'm referring to a weapon and cartridge that have historically proven to be reliable one-shot fight stoppers. There is plenty of empirical data regarding which cartridges are adequate for the purpose and there is no need for me to reiterate readily available data. If the truth were known, I would have to say that a 9 mm is a little light for the job. However, it does provide some minimum level of acceptable performance. I'm definitely suggesting that anyone who is unable to carry such a weapon would be much wiser to seek an alternate means of self-defense. There are several other viable options in addition to pepper spray. I do not think that being honest with one's self should be demoralizing. I'm not here to recruit people to be gunowners. I'm a very firm believer in fighting back against crime, however, I do not think that the firearm is the appropriate weapon for everyone.

Ok, so I'm a 120 lb woman with tiny wrists. If all I could handle was a .380 or even a .22, you'd say I was better off with some other non-lethal self-defense method? I'm not a physical match for anybody, and non-lethal options all have a chance of failure. Or heck, incapacitating me. What if I was 89 years old, and couldn't handle more than a .380. I also wouldn't be able to handle pepper spray (with respiratory issues it could kill me), a stun gun, a taser, or any other form of physical self-defense (obviously). It's not a .45, so might as well not bother? People have physical limitations, and maybe they don't want to broadcast them on the internet.

How about a suggestion for a lower recoil gun, and then tell them to practice rapid follow-up shots, and suggesting possible alternatives they may want to consider rather than simply telling them their preferred choice is not good enough, if they can't perform up to your level don't even bother, do something else? That is demoralizing. Whether you meant it or not, informing someone their choice isn't good enough with no workable and effective alternative is very discouraging. Especially to someone new to the game.

So. What do you suggest, and why is it better than a gun of any kind? I'm all about informed choices, and have explained to my sister who will not use a gun the benefits and limitations of every non-lethal self-defense product I could think of. I've convinced her she needs a backup to her pepper spray; she's debating close-range choices. My choice would still be a .22, preferably with a close-quarters backup option. A firearm might not be best for everyone, but sometimes it's the only option in their experience they can come up with. It's a bit much to say go big or go home without offering another viable option.

Which caliber is that? I don't think there is any handgun caliber with a one shot stop history.

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

Ok, so I'm a 120 lb woman with tiny wrists. If all I could handle was a .380 or even a .22, you'd say I was better off with some other non-lethal self-defense method? I'm not a physical match for anybody, and non-lethal options all have a chance of failure. Or heck, incapacitating me. What if I was 89 years old, and couldn't handle more than a .380. I also wouldn't be able to handle pepper spray (with respiratory issues it could kill me), a stun gun, a taser, or any other form of physical self-defense (obviously). It's not a .45, so might as well not bother? People have physical limitations, and maybe they don't want to broadcast them on the internet.

How about a suggestion for a lower recoil gun, and then tell them to practice rapid follow-up shots, and suggesting possible alternatives they may want to consider rather than simply telling them their preferred choice is not good enough, if they can't perform up to your level don't even bother, do something else? That is demoralizing. Whether you meant it or not, informing someone their choice isn't good enough with no workable and effective alternative is very discouraging. Especially to someone new to the game.

So. What do you suggest, and why is it better than a gun of any kind? I'm all about informed choices, and have explained to my sister who will not use a gun the benefits and limitations of every non-lethal self-defense product I could think of. I've convinced her she needs a backup to her pepper spray; she's debating close-range choices. My choice would still be a .22, preferably with a close-quarters backup option. A firearm might not be best for everyone, but sometimes it's the only option in their experience they can come up with. It's a bit much to say go big or go home without offering another viable option.

Agree! Something is better than nothing, even its a .22 or pepper spray!

That would include virtually every handgun from a .22 to a 50 cal. Maybe you should come up with a different criteria.

Well, since no handgun weapon and cartridge has historically proven to be reliable one-shot fight stoppers, it seems you need to find a different criteria.

My first time shooting a handgun I shot my friends .38 snub revolver, his 9mm and his Ruger SR40C. Not only did i find shooting the .40S&W exhilarating, for a newbie at my age. I was actually hitting the target well.

I think the 45acp has the reputation as a one shot stopper. Talk to some ex and current military

I'm not getting the same response you have been getting...most of the military people I know don't care if it's the 9mm or 45...they're both handgun caliber...ineffective compared to a rifle

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

Any pistol cartridge can be a one shot stopper, a 22LR to a 500 mag, but all the variables have filled up 8 pages of post's so far, personal preference would be a 45, but I do carry about anything, the new lightweight super fast rds have got my interest lately, especialy for carrying indoors where you need to be mindful of over penatration

Any pistol cartridge can be a one shot stopper, a 22LR to a 500 mag, but all the variables have filled up 8 pages of post's so far, personal preference would be a 45, but I do carry about anything, the new lightweight super fast rds have got my interest lately, especialy for carrying indoors where you need to be mindful of over penatration

Any can be but none can be relied upon to be.

Handgun Cartridge Power Chart - Condensed Version

Looks like we are getting critical mass here for the Great Caliber War of 2014. Let me chime in.

Oh wait, this thread is actually about something completely different. The OP was looking at acquiring the very first handgun that should have low recoil, have safety features, be not too heavy, and be not too bulky.

Selecting a handgun for self defense involves trade-offs: budget, weight, size, recoil, terminal ballistics, reliability, ergonomics, and personal preference. When looking for low recoil, then something else needs to give way. Since the OP does not want it to be too heavy and too bulky, going down in terminal ballistics, i.e., in caliber, seems to be the only option.

I encourage the OP to select a handgun that fits these requirements and then to go and shoot it regularly. As the you get familiar with the gun and its recoil, trading up in caliber becomes an option. As you get familiar with carrying this gun, the other requirements likely change as well.

There were already a number of good suggestions in earlier posts: Bersa Thunder 380, Walther PPK 380, Walther PK 380, and a few others.

There were also some not so good suggestions in earlier posts: Ruger SR 22 (own and love it, but 22LR terminal ballistics and reliability are weak), any 380 mouse gun (not low-recoil), Glock 19 (own, love and carry it, but no manual safety as requested by the OP), and a few others.

Now, there have been even better suggestions, such as taking a training class and rent/shoot quite some before you buy.

So after these suggestions, this thread deteriorates into a caliber war? OK. Let me chime in.

- I carry a 1911 in 45 ACP with 7+1 rounds, because 45 ACP is a man stopper and I can effectively engage 8 attackers. In case there are more, I carry a spare magazine.
- I carry a 40 cal, because it offers the power of 45 ACP and the capacity of 9mm. I can deal with the muzzle rise (at the range).
- I carry a 9mm, because I never want to run out of ammo and I want to actually hit what I shoot at. I carry two extra 33-round magazines.
- I carry a 380 ACP, because larger calibers are overrated.
- I carry a 32 ACP, because 380 ACP is overrated.
- I carry a 6-shot revolver, because I can't rack the slide on a semi-auto that has twice as many rounds in one magazine.
- I carry 10mm, because I may encounter bears on my way to work.
- I carry 454 Casull, because I actually live in bear country. The 454 Casull is my backup gun though. My primary weapon is a rifle. .... (start of rifle caliber war)

For those unconvinced, carry on a discussion about magic calibers. Many in this forum understand what terminal ballistics means and have chosen their handgun caliber based on the tradeoffs I mentioned. There are ample resources about terminal ballistics in this Forum and elsewhere.

For me, it's 9 mm (Glock 26 and 19), mostly because of the cost of ammo and the ability for faster follow-up shots. It is also 380 ACP (Taurus TCP), when I need a lightweight gun I can go jogging with. 22LR (Ruger SR 22) is for target shooting only.

I think they just want someone to tell them that a 22will do the job. From what this little female knows, I have small wrists, too.( tho it doesn't have that much to do with it, it's your strength).
A 22is better than nothing. A 380 is better, but recoil in a short barrel takes effort to get it back on target for the next shot. A 9 feels better because of the increased weight and length if barrel again. The 45 feels like less recoil than a 9 because it actually comes out the barrel with less fps. Feet per second than a 9. Therefore with a 4 inch barrel the beast is more easily gotten back on target for the next shot. A 40 feels like a 9 to this chick.
Carry whatever you want. Just don't jump on other people for suggestions that you asked for. Recoil is recoil, it's there, you deal with it. If your wrists are weak, strength exercise them. People with arthritis exercise their hands and wrists daily to limber them up and strengthen them. I'm a good shot with my revolver, too, but it's not my favorite. To each his own.

Tapatalk

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back