what caliber should I buy for home defense

Get what you are comfortable shooting and practice with it.
:big_boss:

Agreed, ultimately, something you are comfortable shooting is most important... As for me personally, next to my bed is a Ruger SR-22 pistol (wife's side), 1911 .45 ACP (daily carry), AR pistol 7.5" barrel .223 defense rounds 30 rnd mag light and holo sight and a mossberg 500 pump 12 ga. In my current... Confined living space it serves as a nice storage spot and they just happen to be within reach. But again, what really matters is that you are comfortable and accurate... A well placed .22 shot beats a .44 mag miss every time

for home defense, you're much better off with a shotgun or a carbine than a handgun. Handguns aren't the most efficient tool for the job, and for HD, you don't need to worry about concealment, just clearing doorways and hallways etc as you make your way to the phone, or loved ones, or a safe room. That said, I'd say 12 gauge, or .300 AAC

Could have multiple armed assailants/intruders. My go to SD arm at home is my AR with light, red dot, and XM193 in the mag. It has sufficient yaw/fragmentation in soft targets for a cheap round. Better ammo is saved for long distance requirements. A pistol round carbine would be another choice, using the same hollow-point ammo any of your sidearms use.

AR and 12 or 20 gauge shotgun, if recoil is too brutal on the 12 ga. Life is good.

Save the handgun for carry outside the home. Personally carry an SA XD-S in .45acp. Not for everybody, but it conceals incredibly. I normally carry 18 rounds for it, but can and have carried an extra small pouch like the first for another 10 rounds, 28 total counting 6 in the sidearm. My first backup mag is the 7-rounder SA shipped free with the sidearm after its recall upgrade.

If a single gun is going to do all duty, as stated before, 9mm and up is good. Wall penetration is a given.

I've not heard about frangible rounds success rates in a sidearm or shotgun. Thanks for mentioning it, gonna do some research now.

If you are interested in a revolver go with a 44 special. Great knock down power and you don't have to worry about winging the neighbors. Have had one at my bedside since 82

Sent from my DROID RAZR using USA Carry mobile app

I still have the how much is necessary approach. Unless you're someone who is doing some big-time drug sales and have to worry about some druggies you cheated or who want to steal your stash, I doubt that five guys with AR-15's are gonna rush in and slaughter your family. Therefore, since you have no gun, I would think that anything from a .22 Mag to a 9mm would do well. Something you can handle and practice shooting. One home-owner heard someone breaking in, he got up and found the criminal and put one round in center mass, criminal dropped dead. The home-owner used a .380 so think about it.
:dirol:

I still have the how much is necessary approach. Unless you're someone who is doing some big-time drug sales and have to worry about some druggies you cheated or who want to steal your stash, I doubt that five guys with AR-15's are gonna rush in and slaughter your family. Therefore, since you have no gun, I would think that anything from a .22 Mag to a 9mm would do well. Something you can handle and practice shooting. One home-owner heard someone breaking in, he got up and found the criminal and put one round in center mass, criminal dropped dead. The home-owner used a .380 so think about it.
:dirol:

Be careful with that sort of logic, though. I recall not oh-so long ago (this Summer) a news story of a Texas(?) woman home with her kids when a man broke into her home. She hid in the attic with her kids, he came up the ladder, and she shot him 5 times in the face with a .38 revolver.
He still managed to get back to his car and drive away.

Whateveryou choose though, depending on your location and legality, keep spare loaded magazines or speed-loaders with the gun for HD. Never assume you have "enough to do the job." Far too many stories lately of home invasions involving 3 to 6 or more intruders.

Shot placement is important no matter what caliber. That lady had put those shots in center mass I doubt he would have ran. However, I'm sure that guy with a bloody face was caught, AND most important, she stopped the threat. I still believe that .22 mag, .32 or .380 acp, 9mm or .38 are all good defense rounds.
:dance3:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back