what caliber should I buy for home defense

jjungmeyer

Just looking at the cost of ammo and the difficulty we're having ordering it in, here in Missouri, what would you all suggest is the most cost-effective, dependable (and ammo plentiful) type of handgun? I've owned 9's, 45's and 40's. Don't really have a favorite.

Go to Walmart and see what is most abundant.

Please excuse typos. Sent from my iPhone using Link Removed.

I was there today and only seen .40 and .45 they did have some SD in the 9mm but it was Federal 115 gr.

The best option would be a 12 gauge shotgun as previously stated but if you're looking for a weapon to serve dual purpose as both home defense and carry I would suggest a handgun chambered in 45 ACP. The larger profile of the 45 ACP round will provide for decreased penetration through walls and will punch plenty big enough holes in any intruder.

The best option would be a 12 gauge shotgun as previously stated but if you're looking for a weapon to serve dual purpose as both home defense and carry I would suggest a handgun chambered in 45 ACP. The larger profile of the 45 ACP round will provide for decreased penetration through walls and will punch plenty big enough holes in any intruder.

I was wondering about that, myself. Wasn't sure if 45 would be too large and would end up going through several walls in a single shot. Looked at one of those "Judge"s with the 45/410. Thought that might be just about perfect. I'm more of a semi-auto guy, but the versatility of that revolver has really got me thinking. Thanks for the info...

I think a 45 or 12 gauge shotgun are the perfect one two punch for home defense. That is what I plan to get for our home.

Sent from my iPhone using Link Removed

what caliber should I buy for home defense

.300 AAC in an AR SBR with a rail-mounted tac light, and a holographic sight. If you don't want to deal with the NFA nonsense, build the above in an AR Pistol platform with a 7.5" barrel.
That should give you plenty of ammo between mag swaps, and enough power to stop pretty much anything accurately.

But seriously, folks. Federal Guard Dog (tm) ammo is designed to expand and not get clogged with material and also to not over penetrate walls. Look up some Youtube videos with this round to see its expansion and minimal wall penetration. It's damned expensive--for Federal, at least--but has extraordinary ballistics. In .45, it's a lightweight 165gr bullet, but it's supersonic and only 1" of bullet drop out to 50 yards.
-
Most knowledgeable gun people regard the Judge, and its upscale cousin the Governor, as a novelty gun. Somewhat popular for home defense but not really good for it. In shotguns, before you and your wife get black and blue practicing with that 12 gauge, look up Mas Ayoob's article on the 20-gauge shotgun.

But seriously, folks. Federal Guard Dog (tm) ammo is designed to expand and not get clogged with material and also to not over penetrate walls. Look up some Youtube videos with this round to see its expansion and minimal wall penetration.

It probably is good ammo, but I don't worry about wall penetration, in fact, I want it. I know where the other person in my home is at all times, and if I can slice the pie, and get a view of a BG in my home in the next room, I'm going to use my AR or KSG to hit the guy straight through the wall. No reason to expose myself, when I get incapacitate him without direct confrontation.
I keep green-tips in the AR, one tube of slugs, and one of shot in the KSG, and I have a 9mm attached to the bed with +P JHP. I pretty much have the bases covered for having the right tool for the job, but I really think that "over-penetration" is a benefit, not a concern in many cases, and people have just become to accustomed to hearing the term used in negative conotations.
Sometimes, good wall penetration can help. Especially if you know how to use a door frame as a barrier against handguns, and know that your gun can punch through insulation and dry-wall once you get a bead on your target.

Just looking at the cost of ammo and the difficulty we're having ordering it in, here in Missouri, what would you all suggest is the most cost-effective, dependable (and ammo plentiful) type of handgun? I've owned 9's, 45's and 40's. Don't really have a favorite.

Really glad that someone brought up the judge because that would have been my number one recommendation. If you are worried about penetration you should go with fully frangible ammunition; like the extreme shock rounds. It also suggest them for carry and conceal purposes. Just remember friends don't let buy 9mm.

For home defense I believe the Beretta 92 9mm is great, or maybe a Ruger SR9 full size, or a S&W MP9 full size.
Also check out a Stoeger Cougar 9mm, and a Bersa Thunder .380, maybe a Walther .380 you want something you will shoot well
and that is dependable and accurate. I only own a Bersa .380 and two .32 acp and I use these for carry and home defense. I feel
very well protected with these. Remember if someone breaks in, you know the layout of your home better than they do so this
gives you an advantage. Well placed shots to center mass will stop them. I'm not a big shotgun guy, but they will stop someone
for sure. Think of it this way, if you have no gun to defend your home now, then even a .22lr pistol/revolver is a step up.
Get what you are comfortable shooting and practice with it.
:big_boss:

When considering a handgun for home defense, the full size models are definitely recommended. The longer sight radius increases accuracy and the higher weight reduces recoil. An added bonus, higher capacity. I personally would go with 9 mm or 45 ACP. The recoil of both calibers is manageable. The Glock 21 with its 13 rounds of 45 ACP, or the Glock 17 (or 19) with its 17 (or 15) rounds of 9mm are good choices. Other options are Springfield Armory XD(M) 4.5 in 45 ACP (13 rounds) or 9 mm (19 rounds).

Note that I did include the compact Glock 19. Glock magazines are interchangeable for the same caliber, i.e., a 17-round Glock 17 magazine works in a Glock 19. The 33-round 9 mm magazine fits as well, if there is a need.

I personally don't like .380 or below for home defense. The recoil from a Bersa Thunder .380 is higher, in my opinion, than from a Glock 19. 9 mm has better terminal ballistics.

I also don't like frangible ammunition due to weak terminal ballistics when they do disintegrate and inconsistency in disintegrating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o2owhC_Cgc

When considering a handgun for home defense, the full size models are definitely recommended. The longer sight radius increases accuracy and the higher weight reduces recoil. An added bonus, higher capacity. I personally would go with 9 mm or 45 ACP. The recoil of both calibers is manageable. The Glock 21 with its 13 rounds of 45 ACP, or the Glock 17 (or 19) with its 17 (or 15) rounds of 9mm are good choices. Other options are Springfield Armory XD(M) 4.5 in 45 ACP (13 rounds) or 9 mm (19 rounds).

Note that I did include the compact Glock 19. Glock magazines are interchangeable for the same caliber, i.e., a 17-round Glock 17 magazine works in a Glock 19. The 33-round 9 mm magazine fits as well, if there is a need.

I personally don't like .380 or below for home defense. The recoil from a Bersa Thunder .380 is higher, in my opinion, than from a Glock 19. 9 mm has better terminal ballistics.

I also don't like frangible ammunition due to weak terminal ballistics when they do disintegrate and inconsistency in disintegrating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o2owhC_Cgc

Great video and thanks for the share, I never knew that extreme shock was having those kinds of issues. That being said, his original argument was a fear of penetration, so I would still make the argument for some form of frangible ammunition. I saw some nutty argument in here earlier (not by you) about wanting penetration so they could clear through walls, but the fact of the matter is that no matter how much data you have, terminal ballistics can never be 100% predictable, 100% of the time. I agree with you about extreme shock rounds, but for home defense when penetration is a concern, as it should be for everyone, I still have to argue the case for a round that enters a human body, wall, door, whatever and does not exit.
Don't get me wrong, .45 ACP is a nice slow moving round, and in the right configuration you can minimize the penetration, but 9mm is notorious for high penetration.

You need knock-down power. Everybody I know around my area uses eithr a 9mm, 40 or 45 cal. Hollow points a must. Round nose or target rounds will go right through a assailant but not stop them.

At home I have a .45acp in my night stand 24/7. No kids at home so I keep one in the tube and it's a Single/Double action so if need arises all I need to do is point and squeeze. Don't have a shotgun to use but have been thinking about getting one.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back