What caliber fire arm do you open carry,and why?

LC9s, small accurate, never failed. Great trigger !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't open carry much but when I do, it's my full-size, 40 S&W Beretta Storm for out walking in the woods on hiking trails. If I decided to open carry it more, I'd probably have to get a better holster for it than just this cheap little leather one.
8c4003f9fc699760a15678b45a82719f.jpg

But then again, since I have a fairly decent little nylon Uncle Mikes OC holster for the Ruger LC9S I have, I'd carry it just as well as it's my primary CC pistol.

But as far as what caliber to open carry, I'd carry whatever I wanted to as long as it was within the laws of my state. I'd carry one of these hoglegs if I could...lol
60a867aeacdceb06f4d1da65324cc378.jpg

This particular model with its short 4-inch barrel is fine for Oklahoma's overall length restriction but that big, .500 caliber hunk of metal that comes out the business end of it, kinda takes a big leap over the .45 caliber restriction...🤣

Carry a 9mm concealed palm gun. Diamondback PB-9. Have the extended grip on the handle. Street load I carry is Gold Dot 115gr HP.
Jell test look excellent and bullet went through 17 inches of jell with good peel opening.Jell hydrostatic look more than sufficient. Have yet
to try the 124gr Gold Dot HP rounds. $22.99 plus tax for a box of 25 rounds.

Carry a 9mm concealed palm gun. Diamondback PB-9. Have the extended grip on the handle. Street load I carry is Gold Dot 115gr HP.
Jell test look excellent and bullet went through 17 inches of jell with good peel opening.Jell hydrostatic look more than sufficient. Have yet
to try the 124gr Gold Dot HP rounds. $22.99 plus tax for a box of 25 rounds.

Do you carry your DB9 openly? This thread is about open carry.

Anyway, understand that ballistic gel tests of ammunition are typically done with a 4" barrel (or even longer). Your DB9 has a 3" barrel, slightly reducing muzzle velocity. ShootingTheBull410 has an excellent video series on testing 9mm ammunition with shorter barrels: 9mm Ammo Quest.

Understand that the concept of hydrostatic shock mostly works with light and fast bullets and most manufacturers do not use it to advertise handgun bullet performance. Look as SGAmmo.com to buy JHP rounds at better prices. You can typically get 50 rounds of 9mm JHP for $21 + shipping. For example, I carry, Link Removed in my Glock 19 and Glock 26.

I have also started carrying 40 rounds with me.

With my 45ACP this requires 3 extra mags.

I use 3 single mag pouches for this.

One goes on my belt, one goes into my right boot, and a third goes into my left boot.

The boot pouches are suspended inside by paracord to the boot straps.

A prepper magazine I read on surviving terrorist attacks points out that you will need lots of ammo -- more than usual -- to pin down the terrorists when you are outnumbered until the pole-eece get there.

I only open carry when I am salmon fishing, or in the woods (Hiking or Big Game Hunting). While fishing it is a Taurus® Mdl 425SS4CP TRACKER™ in 41 Remington Magnum. I carry the same gun during bear, deer, and elk season also. Additionally in the hunting season(s) I also carry a Taurus® Mdl 992B4 TRACKER® 22LR/22Mag as a grouse gun.

Update here- my edc is now xds40 3.3 with a green laser in a owb multiholster. Untucked shirt over it you can't see nothing.
397592ee7ea446e7a7a4f655fff9286c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kahr cw9. Us Californians are being screwed over what we can and cannot carry.

Sent from my iPhone using USA Carry

The only time I open carry is fishing for trout. Hip Boots can be a ***** carrying concealed, even under the armpits. Usually to warm for that. Caliber is 9mm, weapon model here isn,t necessary. If Bigfoot is
watching me fishing a small stream in the woods, I make dam sure he see,s the gun on my hip. To many 411,s of people just going missing. Anyone who was armed has never had a problem. Jokingly as it sounds, who know,ss.

The indians when they built fire,s after dark to just sit around and smoke their pipes, have always told their children not to wander to far from the fire,s light. Now after reading up on this tail, it makes sense to me.

To back this up, I was open carrying on my hip a S@W Model 19 357 Magnum while trout fishing alone. I was back in quite a ways where it was heavily wooded. Don,t know why, but suddenly a bad feeling came over me
and the hair on the back of my neck was standing up. And what really started scaring me is how suddenly it got quiet. No bird,s chirping , the wind itself had died down. I mean it got real scary for me because this was out of norm,s.
Could be a Cougar,or Bear or who da-hell know,s. With 357 in hand and fishing gear in the other on full alert,I started retreating back from where I had came from up the stream. About a 40 to 75 yds walk, I started feeling back to normal and the woods came back to normal. Needless to say I bugged out and went back to my car. To this day, I do not know what happened. But this is a true tail. It happened to me.

Over the summer most of my open carry is in the woods on state game lands where the only legal weapon outside of hunting season is a .22 caliber pistol (short, long, or long rifle ammo only, no .22 magnum) with a barrel 7.5 inches or shorter open carried. Even with a concealed carry permit you are not allowed to concealed carry on some game lands here in NC. It's .22 pistol open carried or nothing. Other than that, my open carry is a P-08 Luger.

I have several handguns, all 40 caliber. My favorite CC is my Springfield XD 40 3"SC. I usually carry concealed, but summertime open carry is alot easier.

Sent from my N9518 using Link Removed

If 7 rounds of 45 Auto don't do the trick, I'd say you have a problem.

If not, they make an 8 round extended magazine.

If 7 rounds of 45 Auto don't do the trick, I'd say you have a problem.
I've heard it said that the average number of shots fired in most self defense scenarios is 2.2 rounds. My dad (LEO) used to say that if he couldn't do it with 3 shots, he'd throw his gun at them and run.

There is a common 9 round minimum requirement that is being used by those that have training. It is based on a 3 rounds for 3 attackers scenario, assuming no misses and the Mozambique drill for those 3 attackers. A 1911 with an 8-round magazine and one in the chamber meets this minimum requirement. Caliber choice has zero influence on this requirement. A secondary magazine is mandatory too, to fix malfunctions, to reload if more ammunition is needed, or to top off after the fight.

Having said that, no one ever said after a gun fight: "Why the hell did I bring all this ammo?". There is no assurance that one will not miss and that one will not encounter more threats. Also, just because the vast majority of gun fights involve 0-3 rounds, that doesn't mean yours will. Lastly, consider this: After the gun fight is over, your gun should be in a fully loaded condition, just in case the gun fight isn't over yet. After all, you want to reload when you want to, not when you have to.

People on gun forums discuss way too much gear and way too little mindset, tactics and skill. I highly encourage people to take training classes, or at least buy training DVDs or online training from reputable instructors. I also highly encourage people to analyze past gun fights, such as by watching the Active Self Protection YouTube channel, or by reading up on the 1970 Newhall and the 1986 Miami shootouts.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back