What caliber fire arm do you open carry,and why?

65nowha

I have two 1911,A1 45's a .38 special.357 Magnum,but when I do OC,its a M&P 40 Shield. The 1911 A1 45's are just big and heavy, and the 357,i just never carry no reason for not carrying it.

I carry 40 caliber XDM 3 .8. for about four years now, looking at picking up my second pistol, and it will be 40 too.

Why 40, I didn't know any better and that's what I picked. I like it and I'm not about to change.

I don't open carry too much but that's why am going to go to the single stack to make that more of an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess this is more about pistol weight than caliber.

Otherwise, I would say carry the same caliber open or concealed, unless you have a practical need to carry a different caliber. For example, if your .357 Magnum revolver has a longer barrel, then it is a recommended carry gun against four-legged predators while hiking.

Note that a good belt and holster are key to distribute the weight of the gun around the belt and to keep the weight as close as possible to the body.

I extensively talked about my concealed carry setup in this forum before. As for open carry, the only thing I change is the holster. I have carried openly (rarely) in a Serpa holster before, but I am now switching to a Safariland holster. I plan to carry openly more often.

I carry an old Bersa Thunder Pro 9mm UC. Looks like it has been drug by a truck, but has never failed in about a thousand or so rounds.
PS: Awesome pistolo, Ringo.

I have two 1911,A1 45's a .38 special.357 Magnum,but when I do OC,its a M&P 40 Shield. The 1911 A1 45's are just big and heavy, and the 357,i just never carry no reason for not carrying it.
Carry style has never been associated with caliber choice in so far as I'm concerned. This is a silly thread.

My carry line-up just grew by one. I currently carry concealed, open, and mostly indifferently, so printing doesn't matter.

- Sig 1911 Carry Nightmare (.45acp)
- Sig P320 (.357Sig)
- S&W 1076 (10mm)
- Springfield XDs (.45acp)

Just added a Sig P229 Legion in .357sig but I haven't had a chance to take it out yet. The Legion is a spectacular piece of gun building and I'm looking forward to carrying it.

I carry a Sig Sauer 1911 Ultra. I was trained on and carried the 1911A1 for twenty-four years in the Army and am comfortable with it.

9mm....and cause I bought it for the lady and she don't like the recoil.... I'm getting a 40.. and she's going to increase upper body strength. ...lol true story

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

Pretty old thread. Wondering if this guy is still around. Looks like he had more than 1 Nam tour.

My open carry handgun is the same as my concealed carry.

The only difference is that I tuck the sweatshirt or sweater BEHIND the holster for OC instead of CC.

The main advantage of OC over CC is that you can draw and shoot with one hand. You don't need the nonshooting hand to hold up the shirt/sweater/sweatshirt out of the way.

The other advantage of OC over CC is that you can draw about 1/4th to 1/2 second faster from OC.

My open carry handgun is the same as my concealed carry.

The only difference is that I tuck the sweatshirt or sweater BEHIND the holster for OC instead of CC.

The main advantage of OC over CC is that you can draw and shoot with one hand. You don't need the nonshooting hand to hold up the shirt/sweater/sweatshirt out of the way.

The other advantage of OC over CC is that you can draw about 1/4th to 1/2 second faster from OC.
I open carry because I have yet to get a ccw liscence

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

This clearly demonstrates the posters level of firearms training. One handed draw from concealed carry is taught in every quality defensive handgun class run by a respectable firearms training school.

And that buys you exactly what?

I open carry a 9mm Glock everyday and everywhere I go.

My first pistol was a S&W Model 59 9x19.

One of my older roommates in the frat house had several 9x19's and I liked the feel of them back then in college (just turned 21 -- only a few months of college left to go back then).

So I went to a gun shop and checked out all their 9x19's.

Loved the S&W 59 the most. So my birthday present to myself that year was the S&W 59.

9x19 is a very accurate cartridge. It is an ideal self defense handgun.

You have to go all the way up to 357 in a revolver to find a more accurate handgun.

That's a good choice in cartridge.

I normally only open carry on our property or when in the woods.

Normally open carry either my shield 9mm or my SD9VE. If I'm not hunting, then its a long gun. I prefer the double stack when not covering up.

My small dog is often/always with me, and there are threats to her.

There has been open drug related activity in our area of the
woods, so there could also be threats to me.

I like open carry in the woods, because it just keeps everyone honest.
If I come across someone in the woods they can see what they would be facing,
and if they do try anything its easier to see just what they might be capable of.

I have had people get close enough to see me and then just wave and head the other way.

I have lived where I do for almost 20 years, never had any trouble with people.
But now that dog is always getting herself in trouble...

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back