What about reprisals?

AvidshooterTX

I saw the thread "Is carrying dangerous?" and wondered did you ever consider the possibility of reprisals from the BG's friends or family in the event that you ever have to defend yourself? Has anyone on this board ever experienced that? I'm particularly thinking of gangs. You will almost certainly be identified in the press and they will know where to find you.

I saw the thread "Is carrying dangerous?" and wondered did you ever consider the possibility of reprisals from the BG's friends or family in the event that you ever have to defend yourself? Has anyone on this board ever experienced that? I'm particularly thinking of gangs. You will almost certainly be identified in the press and they will know where to find you.

A great point. It's one more factor to throw into the equation (which includes physical threat, and legal, financial, emotional factors) which governs when you use deadly force. Pick your battles carefully.

"Pick your battles carefully."

Sometime, most of the time, YOU don't get to pick the battle. The battle picks you! Yes, I choose where I go and with whom I associate but since the mobility of the BG is just as great, if not greater than, as mine I may just be reacting.

My first encounter was when I was helping a friend who was coming to town by bus, the station used to be in a good area now not. I had a choice only being a friend I really didn't. The three miscreants, fortunately, had brought knives to a gun fight. I only had to let my coat float open in the breeze and the encounter was over. I did know their intentions as I heard their discussion of what they were going to do to the w***e boy on their turf. This was before cell phones or common thugs complaining to the police.

Later, working in a store, I did not, and still don't, pick who walks in.

I have experienced the threat of reprisals. Years ago we took in some burgled goods, our records led to the arrest and conviction of two gang leaders. We were told by the Sacramento Sheriff's Deputies that our shop had been targeted by the rest of the gang. We did not change our SOP so were always armed anyway. Suspected gang members were casing the joint and saw two men carrying 1911s and one HBAR and one Benelli M1 Super 90 held at bird ready. They left a cloud of dust on the way and we never heard about them again. This is not everyone's solution, more's the pity.

Finally, each situation is different and requires a different solution. We are an adaptable race. Illigitimiti non carborundum.

Or, you can just be a Sheeple and let them do whatever they want to you. As for me and mine, hope for the best, but prepare for the worse. First of all, my family would be moved to a safe location until I thought it to be safe to return home if any questions as to their safety. Next, I am pretty watchful of my surroundings, not very likely for someone to get the jump on me. Been carrying OC and CC for close to 30 years now. My guns are as much a part of me as my clothes. I actually feel undressed without at least one on me now. Would still feel safer by stopping a threat, then worrying about the possibility of reprisal, than not having a means to protect innocent people.

Ditto on what SteveB said. Sure - should something happen (pray it doesn't) - then yep the potential for some knucklehead to attempt to get back at you is real. However, you can't let that fear paralyze you - that will get you hurt or worse. Be prepared, be aware, and just don't put yourself in potentially dangerous situations or locations.

Ditto on what SteveB said. Sure - should something happen (pray it doesn't) - then yep the potential for some knucklehead to attempt to get back at you is real. However, you can't let that fear paralyze you - that will get you hurt or worse. Be prepared, be aware, and just don't put yourself in potentially dangerous situations or locations.

Thanks Cuz

I second and resound the Ditto!

It only provides you with more live, moving targets! :laugh: Many times threats are just that. Alot of mouthing off. On the rare occassion that someone might actually follow through on that threat, you have to remain vigilant and prepared to do the same thing again. I also cannot stress the importance of reporting to the Police, everything that you recieve as a threat, whether it's written, phone calls, verbal, whatever. This will help cover your butt, should you ever have to smoke another thug monkee relative or fellow gang banger.
In my LEO years, I recieved lots of threats. Most while working Narcotics, or investigating a major crime. Sure, they would tend to think twice before smoking a cop, but there are some worthless scum out there, who wouldn't think twice.

Well one time when I was a teenager, I had a local bully and BG break into my garage/house and start stealing stuff. I went out to confront him. But him being a LOT bigger, I got my butt kicked. He just continued to load stuff up in a back pack like I wasn't even there.

SOooo, I went and got my shotgun and tried again.

When he saw me raise the shotgun he took off. Me, being young; stupid AND very mad took a bead; and "click". Thank God the safety was on and he had time to duck behind a car.

A few days later some of his friends tried to lure me out of my house for some retribution; but I was ready. When he and a couple of friends came from around my house, I slipped back in and grabbed the same shotgun that I was keeping close at hand for this very reason. (He had yelled threats while he was getting away.)

Luckly, they stopped in their tracks and began a hasty retreat. I guess after that; they knew I meant business. However, it was a couple of YEARS before I could relax enough and go outside "without" a weapon.

Today? I would hate to be forced to use a firearm EVEN against a BG.

BUT!!!

I have enough ammo for the BG; and ANY friends that may try to take the law into their own hands.

If I don't?

My wife will be more than willing to help out with a few rounds of her own.

I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
I guess I would also rather deal with any 'retribution' than be carried by 6.

That being said; I won't go into the details here but I have had 3 death threats against me by the same person. I dealt with it this way - The local LEO know whats going on, I refuse to change the way I live my life, and I am resolved to protect by life and the lives of my family.

I do NOT want to shoot anyone, but I do not want to BE shot even more. Should the situation ever come to that I will deal with reprisals and paper work after the fact.

I wanted to share a more recent experience; though it was still almost 20yrs ago.

I was at home alone one night around 9:30pm. When I heard my PT APBT start raising 40 kinds of hell looking out my living room window. I thought he might have been barking at some of the local thugs dogs that lived in the neighborhood.

I turned on the porch light and looked outside to see FOUR wannabe gangbangers/crack dealers had gathered in my front yard and driveway. When they saw me looking outside at them, they started cursing/threatening me if I didn't go back inside and stop looking. So I turned OFF all the lights and slipped back inside.

Needless to say, I was NOT willing to allow drug dealers & gangbangers to take over my property. So I went and grabbed one of my guns and the dog and I slipped out the "back" door. When I got to my yard gate and the BG's were still there, I let my pit go tear up a liitle wannabe ASS. I remained in the shadows just in case one or more had a gun. (A couple of them jestured like they had.)

When my dog got after them they took off and scattered like cockroaches when you turn the light on. After I was sure they had been run off I called the SD. When the deputies got there I explained exactly what happened. They told me they really hope my dog got in a few good rips.

The next day I recognized one of these teenage thugs and stopped him on the street in front of my house. I told him in NO uncertain terms that IF he or any of his drug dealing friends EVER threatened me again, I would NOT turn my dog loose on them. I would NOT call the cops! I would not seek anyones help or advice.

I told him: "I would just stay in my house AND pick each and every one off with my rifle or shotgun; PERIOD!"

I further stated that the "ONLY" call I WOULD make was to the coroners office to come pick up the bodies.

He was still a liitle hard ass; so I explained what would happen AFTER he or some of his homeboys were laying in the middle of the street.

{This neighborhood would be overun with Sherrifs Deputies; the "State" police and quite possibly Federal athorities. I explained that they would probably raid and close their little "Crack" operation they had in the back of the hood and arrest some of his buddies AND ruin their little drug business.}

I further told him; "ALL this stuff could be avoided; by simply "avoiding" any further run-ins with me." Then I said: "Relay this information to all your homeboys."

(I lived in the same house for TWO more years "without" further incident.)

The BOTTOM Line?

Bad guys are mostly a bunch of lazy cowards looking to make some easy money and remain "below" the radar of LAW Enforcement.

I will NOT loose any sleep over the fact that IF/When (God Forbid!) I have to use my firearm to protect my life or family, a BG's friends; family or gang will seek retribution.

YES, the thought crosses my mind, but what choice do I have. I live around a fairly active gang area however I am not planning on going out and attacking a gang member. So I figure if I am in the situation it is because some gang banger attacked me and I had to take action. But my only other choice would be not to take action in which case I get to be dead now, rather than later. Why do I say that ... because gang bangers as a rule will shoot you whether you resist of not if they feel like shooting someone. So you might as well defend yourself now, and then plan on defending yourself more later if required

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back