Weapon Mounted Lights

Itstjs

Ok, first, Im going to explain, I am a Security Officer, I work (in many ways) as Private Law Enforcement, I currently use a Smith and Wesson M&P40, and use 2 free hand lights, the streamlight strion and streamlight DS LED, no complaints with them, its just I feel Id be better off with both hands on my weapon when its drawn. I work at quite a few shady properties, mostly on the north end of Flint Michigan, which if youre not familiar with the area, is called the most dangerous area in Michigan. Most of our properties are low income housing areas, and sadly, with Police cuts, we sadly cant rely on the Police to come when we call them, in most cases we wait hours for them to show up, and most cases we deal with issues in house, if possible.
Anyhow, Ive been looking at the streamlight TLR-1 light, and I feel its perfect for me, both on the job and for home defense, I know Im in a way showing the BG right where my head is at, assuming they have a weapon, and secondly, if I have my weapon drawn on them (at home) Ive got the drop on them 9 out of 10 times, as far as work goes, it just means I have a free hand in case I have to do what ever with it, whether it be push someone away or shield my face from debris or what ever the case my be.
My question is, do any of you use a weapon mounted light? What do you think of them? Are they worth it? My wife, not being into this stuff like I am, doesnt see the benefit, while I was in the Army, we used weapon mounted lights all of the time, and it was a god sent in most cases, but that is a different animal. I just find it hard to sink the extra 100.00 into the light at the moment, especially with a child on the way...Your opinion is greatly appreciated.
I guess to ramble on a little further, the wife says "you dont pull your gun alot do you?" I said "not really, but its not the fact I dont draw it alot, its the fact that when I pull it, I dont want to fumble with a light if I dont need to" she obviously disagrees.....

So, for possible buyers guilt, I want to ask the pros lol.

Itstjs:lazy:

Ok, first, Im going to explain, I am a Security Officer, I work (in many ways) as Private Law Enforcement
Itstjs:lazy:

Your job is one of observe and report, as a security guard you have no more LE authority than any other private citizen and make such statements as bolded above aren't going to impress many here.

As to a weapons mounted light ......... yes I would recommend a weapons mounted light, ONLY provided proper training in it's use was had. Above the cost of a dedicated weapons light there is also the additional cost of a duty holster to accommodate it.

A cost effective alternative would be Safariland's RLS

Link Removed

I have a TLR-1 that I am pleased with. There are advantages to both the hand held and weapon mounted lights. If you have both you can choose the better one for the situation. You obviously know the benefits. Perhaps you can pull some overtime to cover the cost.

I use the TLR-1S and like it, however I only use one at home as I don't normally have a flashlight at the ready. The only time I have used them at work was mounted on a shotgun or a rifle kept in my cruiser, or if I was carrying a rifle and a handgun simultaneously (such as on the SERT) would I mount one.

If I am in need of lighting, my flashlight is out long before my weapon, as I've used it to identify my target BEFORE drawing and I most likely have had it out for quite some time. I carried a 3D Maglite in my weak hand, which doubled as both a light and a baton if needed; I received training and went out of my way to pay for training in the use of a flashlight for self-defense purposes, however. I don't necessarily fall into the idea that the flashlight will give away your head position, but I also had a strobe function on my light via a Seoul P7 modification that would most likely induce seizures long before I had to worry about getting shot. On a more serious note, if you are worried about that, learn the FBI\modified FBI hold. As I had a large flashlight, I used either the Ayoob, Chapman, or Harries (my favorite, as it would allow you to easily swing the light in a close quarters scenario - better than holding it at your neck) hold, and trained extensively in all of the above.

Whatever method you decide to use, the key is to train extensively with it at night to see if it actually works for you. Doing it during the daylight won't teach you much. Also, if you don't mind me asking, what company do you work for? I don't know of too many security companies that have armed positions and allow the use of deadly force except for nuclear power plants and a few private details.

Oh, and not to turn this into a lecture or anything, but remember even more important than that $600 piece of steel on your hip is your communications skills. I've found most of the time it's possible to talk a situation down instead of sending the lead flying, and believe me, that's a good thing.

Hi tj...it's one of those personal preference issues I think...I prefer holding my light in my hand vice mounted...I may wish to light something/someone up without pointing a firearm at it/them...

I dont mean to offend anyone with what I do at work, to clear the air before this turns into a negative forum, I am a Security Officer, I dont try and act like a Police officer, and quite often at most of our properties, when Police arrive, we stand back and let them do their job, as an Armed S/O we do a little more than observe and report, 95% of the time, as one LEO stated above, we use communication, most persons who see a weapon, taser and handcuffs, they dont act stupid, we usually have local law enforcement enroute and keep a person in play with talk until they arrive, however in closed gated communities, we have a good re pour with Local Police who in some cases contact us on our site phone and dispatch us to apartments when all of their units are tied up. In some of those cases we have made citizen arrests on persons in possession of weapons, some of which who have ran and we had given chase.
Alot of our employees are former Military and or current part time police officers, others are retired police. We are all certified in taser, pepper spray, handcuffs and baton. We only use lethal force in accordance with self defense laws of ourself or another person, we do not go looking for trouble, however sometimes it happens to find you.
I train on a frequent basis with what ever I carry, I look at it this way, if I train with it, it will save my life, hence the curiosity with having a weapon mounted light. I will train when possible, and although I dont draw my firearm as often as an LEO, I feel it would be best for me to have one for both work, and home defense, especially home defense being firing a weapon with one hand on a light and one on a weapon is somewhat difficult, especially at 3am when youre all groggy, and reacting to a possible threat.
I appreciate the responses and the helpful tips.

I believe that in most cases, armed bad guys shoot at the light, also, as joatesiii noted, "I may wish to light something/someone up without pointing a firearm at it/them..."

I believe that in most cases, armed bad guys shoot at the light, also, as joatesiii noted, "I may wish to light something/someone up without pointing a firearm at it/them..."

The biggest problem with a dedicated weapons mounted light is that the "Untrained" tend to invariably substitute it's use for that of a hand held light.

North side of Flint is a bad place, if something doesn't look right the chances are the shooting will start before you have a chance to report it. That ares should be patrolled by two man teams, but either way, i would want to have a weapon light and a really good tactical flashlight available.

Personally from my work and work with bosses yes a mounted light would be good however I would not suggest using it fully because as others have said a light will be the target. I know it is a rather hard job in private security with limited ability however also in be private security at least out here there are somethings that security can do that police can do and with that even with limited police officers in making friends with them and having their numbers we have been able 1) change some areas and 2) like I said have made friends with the local police officers and in turn have helped get police on scene a little faster over calling dispatch and then having police sent. With all of this said one thing I might suggest is having the strobe option either on the gun mounted light, or one one of the other lights as I've found that to greatly help in dealing with those impaired by booze or drugs or the like. Just a little info that I have learned

The Zodiac was one of the first shooters to mount a penlight on his .22LR pistol.

The best place to mount a light is however on your helmet or hat. This way, wherever you look, there will be light. And the light can then also light up your luminescent gun sights too.

while I agree to an extent of that, such as leaving it on while moving about does seem to scream "HEY, I'm over here!" sort of thing keep the light off until you are close or feel as though you are close can help and when eyes are adjusted to low light then to suddenly have a bright light go on directed towards your face is a great blinding move. On the other hand using a light can be a good way to get them to leave if that is your sole intention.

To me lights and lasers make you the easy target.

I agree. My preeminent use for self defense with my firearm is at home and at night. I know my house. I know where everything is and where everything is not. I know every nook and cranny. The BGs DO NOT. Why should I give them any sight consideration by lighting up my dark house? Distances for my home defense will be less than 10 yards and my having to rely on a laser, instead of point/shoot, does not make sense to me--that little extra time acquiring the BG with the laser is that extra milisecond that, IMO, can get me killed. If you are a regular "visitor" to dark and dangerous places, I can understand their purposes, but again, IMO, situational awareness will never have me there in the first place.

I appreciate all of the comments, I see more of the good than the bad, however, I will not be dumping what will be my primary light (streamlight strion) however, I feel it would be a better option with weapon out vs holding a light with my second hand if the case arises I have to use my left hand for opening a door or moving something out of my way, I can have a light and weapon in one direction without losing one or the other.
I appreciate the tips and suggestions, and I understand where some say I may be more dependent on a laser which has led me to choose the TLR1 which does not include the laser mod, I have read some forums and other reviews where it has been strongly suggested, even Police Officers tend to use the laser more than their sights which obviously can be a critical mistake with recognizing where the laser is or is not.

Anyhow thank you all for the comments.

I've considered lights and lasers in various scenarios and here is what I've come up with:
1. On my J frame BUG the grip activated Crimson Trace is a good deal - I know it's an "across the table gun," but if I have to go out to 25 ft, I'm on target; this is due to the short sight radius which makes aiming the fixed sights tedious. Also, I can hold it out around a barrier and acquire the target without looking down the sights. And I don't know where this so-called laser dependency comes from, because I use the laser for the purposes mentioned and Yeah, I depend on it, cause I don't want to have to look down a tiny notched sight that is hard to align on that small revolver (for its intended use, I won't be sighting in but saving my $ss anyway).
2. I have a streamlight 2 on a G21, and have it set on light and laser that can be activated by my left-hand thumb for a second only, not on full time, to identify or acquire the target
3. I have an attached light, with no laser, that is thumb activated from the forearm on the 12ga. It has a Truglo front sight and the light is recessed a bit to light that up if need be. Again, only pulse on for a second to identify or acquire the target.
4. I have a hand-held very bright LED to go searching when not under an immediate problem scenario, which I hold away from my body, and may not keep on constantly, depending upon the situation.

I think these devices are aids, not means to an end, but I want these available as the situation requires. And no, I don't give away my position, so I don't walk around lit up like a Christmas tree.

My dogs don't need a light and I know my home unlit, I like to keep the advantage with me, the muzzle flash will give the BG all the light he needs.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back