Weapon experience in the military: US Army

Whats not to like?? You get a 1 MOA gun that gets you on target faster than my bolt gun does not to mention their is no bolt to manipulate so I dont have to take my firing hand off of the gun to cycle another round...and did I already mention its a 1 MOA gun thats just as accurate as my 24?? ill even look at my dope books when I get to work just to make sure. Not to discredit you our your buddies on the ODA team but they may be a bit sour on the weapon system due to the spec ops/sf types revieced the MK11 mod 0 before the M110 begain coming into service basicly the same weapon but the MK11 and an issue with some screws in the trigger assembly that caused it to burst fire but that has since been fixed....you know their is reason why the army is replacing all of its bolt guns with the M110...just saying

Over the years I used:

M16, M4, M9,M9B, M203, MK19, M60, M249, M240B, M2, M3A2 (grease gun), M220A2 TOW Launcher,
M242 Bushmaster 25 mm cannon, M136 aka AT-4, M18A1 claymore, various grenades, and 1 Bangalor torpedo!
Loved everyone of them :laugh:

m-16,m79,m-60,m-79,m-203,military shotgun(i think it was a winchester),colt/s&w 38's(when i crewed oh-58 kiowa's) dillon/areo mini-gun that hung out left rear door on oh-58's,l.a.w

Ah the Kiowa.... I loved those little guys! We were always working with the OH58D Kiowa Warriors

The Army trusted me with an M16, nothing else. I spent my time from 1979 to 1982. Everything else I have ever owned or fired has been in civilian life. My understanding is that enlisted MILPERs now qualify with sidearms. Is that correct?:confused:
To answer your question the current qualification is for the m-16 only. You get a familiarization with several other weapons. As for the .45, only specific MOS qualified personnel were required to qualify.( IE Armorers,Chaplain's assistants, and Commanders. This is current as of last August. Will post if something changes when I go to RTC later this summer.

US Army 1984 to 1988:

As an M1 tanker,
M1911A1 .45 pistol (never had a chance to play with an M9
M16A1 rifle (never fired it full auto though)
M240 7.62mm machine gun coaxially mounted beside the main gun and in the loader's station up top. Never fired it from the loaders's station.
M2 .50 machine gun at the commander's position. I think the only time I fired it was during OSUT (one station unit training: combined basic with AIT advanced individual training)
M68A1 105mm rifled gun, many rounds
M67 fragmentation grenade

blinded a deer with the laser rangefinder once, too

Any of you ever used or fired that boxy looking tanker's machine-gun?
I remember it looked like an older Tommy, but had a square magazine, no stock. They gave it to tankers who couldn't get the (longer) M-16's inside the M-60's and same when the Army transitioned to the M1A1/2's? We all wanted one but the 'zip-guns' were 4 tanker use only.

Canis-Lupus

You might be refering to the M3 Grease Gun, rather nice simple gun.

Myself the SIG, M249 and M16A2.

To answer your question the current qualification is for the m-16 only. You get a familiarization with several other weapons. As for the .45, only specific MOS qualified personnel were required to qualify.( IE Armorers,Chaplain's assistants, and Commanders. This is current as of last August. Will post if something changes when I go to RTC later this summer.

Close except for the fact that the military switched to the 9mm over 20 years ago

Taking Me Back

20+ years. Started as Infantry, became a tanker on M60A3 and M1A1.

M16 5.56
M60 MG 7.62
M1911A1 .45
M72A1 LAW
M2HB MG .50 (both ground mount and vehicle mounted)
M3 SMG .45
M9 9mm
M240 7.62
M85 .50
M68A1 105mm Cannon
M256 Rheinmetall Smoothbore 120mm Cannon
AK47
AK74
M18A1 Claymore
M67 Frag Grenade
CS grenades

As for enlisted Soldiers qualifying with pistols, it depends on their jobs. Tankers all qualified with their sidearms and some with the long guns that are issued as part of the vehicle's equipment. It was the M3 SMG for a long time. It shifted to the M16A2 for a while, and I think it's now the M4 Carbine.

Some others qualify with sidearms, the most prominent being MPs.

That being said, handgun "qualification" in the Army is pretty rudimentary. You hit the required number of targets at ranges averaging 10-15 meters at full-body silhouettes. :sarcastic: As long as you don't shoot yourself or the guy next to you, you qualify. I always qualified Expert with every sidearm I shot. Now that I'm retired, and do some real pistol training, I can see how crappy I was at shooting then.

The US Navy created special riverine task forces to disrupt weapons shipments in areas such as the Mekong delta. The P.B.R. (River Patrol Boat), a small, fast, lightweight craft, served as the main vessel of riverine operations. P.B.R.s stopped and searched junks, sampans, and other boats, and engaged in firefights with shore-based enemy soldiers.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back