Undecided on size of concealed carry gun. Help?

Lethaldosage47

So here's my dilemma. I live in Illinois. I'm not sure how this whole concealed carry law is going to end up and with all this talk about possibly banning anything handguns that hold more than 10 in a magazine I'm debating because I've never had the right to. I was looking into the Springfield XD(m) 40. It's this too large/bulky of a gun to conceal? Should I go with a subcompact? Either way, I don't want to miss out on my chance to buy one of these guns like AR.

(I've shot with both 9mm and 40 springfield pistols and I just love the feel so I'm pretty set with the brand.)

Go with top quality at a fair price - that equals VALUE. I much prefer my more expensive - but better made high quality pistols than the less expensive pistols with lower quality and features just to keep the price low. Your life is worth the best...even if you have to save up for it or pay off some plastic after you buy it. Just can't beat quality.

Your physical stature, the types of clothing you wear, the season, and the manner you choose to carry are the factors that will determine whether a given pistol is "too large/bulky" to conceal effectively or not. That's a lot of variables, and they yield results that are different for lots of people, and even for the same person will change for different times of the year or social situations. My advice is threefold here: 1. Don't skimp on the holster. However you decide to carry (IWB, OWB, appendix/crotch, small-of-the-back, ankle, shoulder rig, pocket, etc., etc.) a quality holster will go a long way towards keeping you comfortable and effectively concealed. You will have to experiment and try a few to find the one (or two) that's "you." 2. Carry the largest pistol you can handle and conceal comfortably, in the largest caliber you can shoot well (again, that is not necessarily the same gun for all situations). 3. Invest in good training. Repeat this step often.

Carry what you are confortable with, I carry a colt combat commander with good gun belt and holster and 4 backup 8 round mags or a para p-13 13 round mag with two back ups. Peace, Love, Colt 45.

I agree with JCliff. Your size, clothes, etc offer too many variables for us to answer this for you. I started with a Sig P238 and was convinced that that was the BIGGEST gun I could conceal. After a little work with different holsters, I'm typically carrying a Springfield EMP in 40. Recommend you look for something with a medium length grip (or shorter) and a 4" barrel (or shorter). I'm not sure where your XDM fits, but I'm sure they make something in this range. Also, I often ask my wife "Honey, do these pants make my gun look big?". Amazing the honest feedback I get!

I have three carry guns...Bersa Thunder .32 a Bersa Thunder .380 and a Ruger SR9c. I carry them all at different times loaded with either Hornady Critical Defense or Corbon Pwrball ammo. I have complete faith in all of them. So carry what you feel comfortable and use good carry ammo. Also remember if you have to shoot, keep shooting till the threat is cleared.

:victory:

Whatever feels comfortable to you. I did not like carrying the Springfield XD9 sub-compact, but I do like carrying the S&W SD9VE which is a physically larger gun(about the same size as Glock 19). I also carry the smaller Ruger LC9. Also consider a good holster. That can make all the difference in the world for carry comfort.

I too agree with JCliff. When I first started carrying, I carried an LCP IWB at about the 4:00 position. For me the gun virtually disappears in that position. At the time I was living in non-issue state of MD and could only carry whenever I left the state, so I could only carry about 2 or 3 weeks at a time while I was on vacation outside the state. In August I moved back to FL and have been able to carry 24/7. Well, I started carrying my XDm-9 compact more and more, mostly because I think it is a more capable self-defense weapon than the LCP. Now, I am completely comfortable wearing the 9mm, even in the summer with just shorts and a T-shirt. I wear it IWB at the 3:15 position, which gives a slight bulge in my T-shirt, but not very noticeable. In fact nobody has ever asked if I’m carrying anything. Well, I take that back, my sister who knows I carry mentioned that she can see that I am carrying something under my T-shirt, then I showed her how her husband has the same “bulge” in his T-shirt…at the exact same location…since, that’s where he carries his cell phone.

To make a long story short (too late), carrying a pistol will take some trial and error and you will probably change holsters and even pistols several times before you find out what works for you.

Rob

Geeze guy. You are "undecided" and need help from a forum? You will get opinions on virtually everything that everybody likes or dislikes and that leaves you right back on square one. Go to a gun shop or several gun shops or better yet a large gun show and do some "touchy feely" and make up your mind. No amount of forum words can make that decision for you. If may point you in the right direction with lots of talk but you gotta take the final walk.

you should probably carry a bushmaster to protect you from the stupid That is running rampant in the usa right now, but for a pistol (your first?) I like the glock 26 (sub-compact 9) and glock 27 (sub compact .40) Have no experience with the gun your asking about. The wide handle makes it a Comfortable range gun assuming you can find ammo.

I have carried a XDm 4.5 in .40S&W, I did not have a problem concealing it. My Girlfriend was very suprised to find I was carrying that particular handgun, with 2 spare mags and a 51/2" fixed blade knife. I am 5'8" at 195lbs. I have a stocky build with no spare tire. So yes, it can be done. I have found that my 1911 is a bit more comfy and I shoot it much better, so it is my EDC now. IWB carry with 2 mags. Carry what you are the most comfortable shooting, the rest will fall in place.

XD-S .45acp single stack with 4 spare magazines. I OWB carry most of the time at 8:00 o'clock, as I'm a lefty with a high-ride holster. It is so small it disappears from sight, but it has to be manhandled when racked, or held. The base of the grip just rides below my bottom rib. 5 round mags are stock, but you may get 7-rounders, for backup, if you like.

Shoot one, before you decide. They are not for everyone. I've over 900 rounds, with one high primer strike because of failure to return to battery, which was my fault; several hundred rounds at one range session, and my grip was severely fatigued. Shoots where you point it, but is not a range or target gun. SD all the way.

I own an XDM .40 4.5", I love the pistol, and while it is a full sized gun, i can be concealed. I can do it easily in the cooler months with the factory holster and some bulky clothing. I have my Indiana permit, but since I am military and stationed in NJ, i rarely get to carry. Doesnt mean i cannot practice in my home just to try things on for size.

I plan to purchase a Crossbreed Super Tuck in the near future. for IWB carry. but I also plan to purchase a more compact pistol too. Really like the springfield EMP .40 ,M&P Shield .40, or LC9. Would like to stay with .40 S&W ammo since I and set up for handloading.

Speer Gold Dot 180 gr .40 cal is my defensive bullet of choice.

Like the others say. it is about personal preferrence and what is comfortable for you especially for all day carry.

Good Luck

I used to carry the Glock 27 but it is too small for my hand. I now carry the FN57 and I don't really care if it is actually concealed or not. I also like the 20 round mag.

I agree with other posters, there are just so many makes and models, and so many opinions, all depends on what you are comfortable with. I have bought more pistols in the past eight months than most people would and I think a good variety. If they felt good in my hand at the gun shop I bought it. Then I spent a small fortune on ammo and range time. I'm only going to list three of my favorites that I own.

Glock 26....small, very light, easy to carry, very accurate and dependable.
Glock 17....this is a larger gun and I only feel comfortable carrying it on the cooler days when I have light jacket and something. Worried about it printing, but I like the large magizine capacity. It is comfortable to carry as well.
S&W......1911. Yeh it's heavy but thinner than the Glocks. But......I can carry it, the holster that I use and the way I carry it it fits very tightly to my body. I'm not a big guy either. My bosses carry as well and asked them after a few days in the office carrying if they could tell. They never had a clue and were surprised. Very accurate gun and makes a big hole with less effort than the 9mm. Not as easy to maintain than a glock but did I mention it makes a big hole.

Just my opinion

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back