Traveling to Missouri

Hello all, Alabama resident here, with AL resident permit.

I'm traveling to Missouri next week to stay for a good bit of time. I've done my usual carry-related travel preparations, such as studying the handgun laws for pass-through and destination states and bookmarking them in a folder on my phone. However, I wanted to make sure my interpretation of the laws is correct for MO. It is my understanding that, though the places listed in 571.107 are "off limits" for concealed carry, you can only get into legal trouble if you are discovered and don't leave if asked to do so.

So is it safe to say that I can pretty much not worry about where I carry, and operate on a "don't ask, don't tell" basis?

Anything else tricky that I should know about?

PS. Obviously, I won't try to enter any courthouses or government buildings with my Glock 19, even though those places have active security/detectors anyway.

Thanks!
Are you driving or flying? Are you aware transporting a gun through Illinois can get you arrested? Federal statute is supposed to cover interstate transportation of firearms between two locations where it is legal to possess them, but the statute only applies as an affirmative defense. That means it only comes into play after you've been arrested, gone to jail, had your gun seized, maybe hired a lawyer and paid bail, and finally eventually end up in court. Illinois also does not have preemption. That means every city and county you pass through can have their own gun bans or restrictions in place, and they may all be different. In the eyes of the law, you're technically responsible for knowing all of those laws and complying with them.

May I suggest Interstate 55?

Are you driving or flying? Are you aware transporting a gun through Illinois can get you arrested? Federal statute is supposed to cover interstate transportation of firearms between two locations where it is legal to possess them, but the statute only applies as an affirmative defense.

You are not aware of the new Illinois state laws now in effect, are you? You might want to find out what the new Illinois state law is before you make more erroneous statements.

You are correct sir regarding the gun free school zone act and you make an excellent point. In the case of an out-of-state permit holder I would not recommend informing during a traffic stop. Same way I would not personally inform if I was in a state that honored my Missouri permit (unless it was the law to do so).

But if I am stopped in Missouri they are going to know I have a CCW because the information is in their system. So informing up front keeps the conversation civil. At least it has worked for me any time I have been stopped (not that it happens often).
They won't always know. They don't run plates with every stop, and they don't always get an instant response when they do. That's true in almost every state and locality, because there's a big market in software and system companies offering faster response times than their competitors. One of them wanted to hire me not long ago. County and small town departments generally have slower systems (smaller budget), and some may not have systems at all. Those without in-house systems often have service agreements with other departments and pass their registration checks over to them for response, sometimes by phone. So no, they won't necessarily know you have a gun. And even though it's probably a non-issue with most, many cops react very negatively to the fact that you have a gun, so you're taking somewhat of a chance by notifying when you don't have to. I know quite a few cops through my work and volunteer activities. They overwhelmingly advise not to notify if it isn't required, for the same reason I stated, because some cops react negatively to it. You having a gun makes them very uncomfortable, which is not a good thing. The best advice I got on this came from a sergeant who does all the tactical training for his department. He said there's practically zero chance to make the situation worse by not notifying when you don't have to. But there's a fairly good chance you can make it worse if you do notify when you don't have to, if you happen to get one of those 'uncomfortable' cops, so why take the risk? Anyway, it's your choice.

And by the way I also inform and it has not been a problem yet. I hear more negative stories from people who did not inform, then when the drivers license was run and the endorsement came up, caused the conversation to go negative. What will be interesting is that now that we have a Sheriff issued permit system it will take an additional check before discovery by law enforcement.

But if I am stopped in Missouri they are going to know I have a CCW because the information is in their system. So informing up front keeps the conversation civil. At least it has worked for me any time I have been stopped (not that it happens often).

The reaction of the police officers you describe is 100% irrational. When they run your driver's license and find out you have a CCW permit from the state - their concern about you possessing a firearm should go to zero. They have just found out information that you have had a background check done, and at the time of the background check you had nothing negative in your past that would prohibit you from possessing a firearm. They also have just found out that you have no outstanding warrants for your arrest and you are a "good enough" person to still be entitled to a driver's license. In summary, they have found out nothing but more positive things about you than the person without the CCW permit would have (the background check).

They also have just received information that any firearm that you might possess is 99% chance to be legal for your to posses. So, what rational reason would they have to be concerned about it after they have received all this positive information about you?

Because any negative reaction that they have after they receive this information is completely irrational - I will not cater to them and will not accept any responsibility for their irrational behavior. To cater to them and their irrational reactions only encourages them to continue to act irrationally. If they want to hassle me after they find out about a CCW permit from the state I will attempt to explain things exactly the same way I just wrote them and maybe they can see that they have no reason to have a negative reaction. They weren't concerned enough about a firearm to ask me if I possessed one before they ran my license. Why would they have any reason at all to be more concerned about a firearm once they are given proof that I am legal to possess one, that I have passed a background check in the past, and I have no outstanding warrants now? I will not cater to them and their irrational reactions because to do so only enables their irrational behavior.

In addition, I won't offer ANY information to a police officer that I am not required to by law because I cannot possibly know every item or behavior that is prohibited in every jurisdiction and I will not take the chance of "confessing" to possessing an item or engaging in a behavior that might be illegal in that particular jurisdiction.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back