Traveling to Missouri

Mr Trevor

Hello all, Alabama resident here, with AL resident permit.

I'm traveling to Missouri next week to stay for a good bit of time. I've done my usual carry-related travel preparations, such as studying the handgun laws for pass-through and destination states and bookmarking them in a folder on my phone. However, I wanted to make sure my interpretation of the laws is correct for MO. It is my understanding that, though the places listed in 571.107 are "off limits" for concealed carry, you can only get into legal trouble if you are discovered and don't leave if asked to do so.

So is it safe to say that I can pretty much not worry about where I carry, and operate on a "don't ask, don't tell" basis?

Anything else tricky that I should know about?

PS. Obviously, I won't try to enter any courthouses or government buildings with my Glock 19, even though those places have active security/detectors anyway.

Thanks!

Link Removed

This was on our site and I noticed a few places that you cannot carry that made my eyebrow go straight up.
- on a public bus
- in an amusement park
- riverboat gambling facility
- hospitals
- sports arenas

I would do some more checking and digging.

Yeah, I've seen that! Crazy!

But the lines that catch my eyes, still, are these taken directly from their website's PDF:

"Carrying a concealed firearm in any location specified above is not a criminal act. However, you can be denied access to the premises or may be removed from the premises for doing so."

The only place you can not carry is on a bus, and obviously, where they have metal detectors such as courthouses, etc.

There is a long list of prohibited locations, per the law. However most are not a criminal act if caught unless you refuse to leave. In this case you are fined.

No duty to inform the officer, but if pulled over, I would inform. Its your call.

MO is gun friendly friend. Enjoy your stay!

Just preference. No duty to inform but I would.

Carry anywhere but busses and courthouses, that's friendly in my book.

Why, because I feel it is the appropriate thing to do. I mean no harm, they know I am a CCW holder when they run my info. I am not worried about keeping anything from the officer and it puts us both on the same page. Just my preference. I'm not advising anyone on this.

Register your gun when you sign up your kid for school? No. Not in MO.

Why, because I feel it is the appropriate thing to do. I mean no harm, they know I am a CCW holder when they run my info. I am not worried about keeping anything from the officer and it puts us both on the same page. Just my preference. I'm not advising anyone on this.

If the person is in possession of a loaded gun within 1000' of the premises of a school on public property and they do not have a permit/license issued by the same state the school zone is located in, they are violating Federal law, 18 USC 922 (q)(2). I am glad you are not advising out of state visitors to "confess" to police their possession of a loaded firearm because if they happen to be within 1000' of a school when stopped, they would likely be in illegal possession of that firearm.

You did not. Honestly though, MO is not perfect. No state is. Apparently people try to pass crazy gun laws everywhere, not just in MO: Link Removed

yes, but try and find something a bit more up to date, this of course went nowhere. however the idiocy does continue, now there is an attempt to make "warning shots" legal and the NRA has testified in favor of this idiotic initiative

we'll try this again, WHY?
isn't yours the state were there is a bill requiring registration when you sign up your kid for school?

Yes, by the same St. Louis Democrat, and she has been doing it for several years. We also have another Democrat who has proposed a $1000 fine if you do not report your gun stolen within 24 hours.

So what. Are you telling me that Democrat's in your state don't do the same thing. It is only a problem when you have a Democratic majority (like NY, Conn., California, etc.). We do not.

We may not be the freest state but we are working on it one step at a time.

And by the way I also inform and it has not been a problem yet. I hear more negative stories from people who did not inform, then when the drivers license was run and the endorsement came up, caused the conversation to go negative. What will be interesting is that now that we have a Sheriff issued permit system it will take an additional check before discovery by law enforcement.

Hello all, Alabama resident here, with AL resident permit.

I'm traveling to Missouri next week to stay for a good bit of time. I've done my usual carry-related travel preparations, such as studying the handgun laws for pass-through and destination states and bookmarking them in a folder on my phone. However, I wanted to make sure my interpretation of the laws is correct for MO. It is my understanding that, though the places listed in 571.107 are "off limits" for concealed carry, you can only get into legal trouble if you are discovered and don't leave if asked to do so.

So is it safe to say that I can pretty much not worry about where I carry, and operate on a "don't ask, don't tell" basis?

Anything else tricky that I should know about?

PS. Obviously, I won't try to enter any courthouses or government buildings with my Glock 19, even though those places have active security/detectors anyway.

Thanks!

Welcome.

Your Alabama permit is good in Missouri (as you have discovered). We have a list of 17 places where concealed carry is not authorized but the carrying in most of them is not a crime. The exact statutes are found here: Link Removed

If you have any additional questions I will try to answer them for you.

If the person is in possession of a loaded gun within 1000' of the premises of a school on public property and they do not have a permit/license issued by the same state the school zone is located in, they are violating Federal law, 18 USC 922 (q)(2). I am glad you are not advising out of state visitors to "confess" to police their possession of a loaded firearm because if they happen to be within 1000' of a school when stopped, they would likely be in illegal possession of that firearm.

You are correct sir regarding the gun free school zone act and you make an excellent point. In the case of an out-of-state permit holder I would not recommend informing during a traffic stop. Same way I would not personally inform if I was in a state that honored my Missouri permit (unless it was the law to do so).

But if I am stopped in Missouri they are going to know I have a CCW because the information is in their system. So informing up front keeps the conversation civil. At least it has worked for me any time I have been stopped (not that it happens often).

I live in Missouri and we are very gun friendly... I was stopped at a sobriety check point a few months ago... I let the Officer know I was carrying and he did not even ask to see m permit.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back