Travel by Train

JJFlash

I need to be in Baltimore next week for family business. Hate flying (all the BS) and was thinking to drive. However, now thinking about train travel since I can leave here in the Outback and arrive in Balto, in about the same time it's takes me to drive and for the same expense. But, have never taken the train before.

Any opinions?

How about CC? I've got ND and UTAH permits so I'm good for all the states there except WI, Ill, and of course, MD. But, I obviously don't know anything about train travel. Are there security checkpoints? Is baggage screened?

Any help is appreciated.

Took me awhile scounging around the site to find a statement on firearms. True enough, currently can't carry or transport firearms. Interesting to note, however, that they cite a law passed on Dec. 16, 2009 which instructs Amtrak to put provisions in place to transport firearms in checked baggage.

I'm probably driving.

I used Amtrack a few times, years ago. A few times it was ok. There were a few trips I made that I hated every aspect of, too. I would definately reccomend a laptop or a portable dvd player with noise cancelling headphones. Ear buds will just piss you off. There's some ambient noise, and depending on your seat, noise from other passengers. It was the other passengers who made my bad experiences what they were.

Overall, it's what you make of it. If it were me, and the time and cost issues were the same, I would drive. I like being able to go and stop at will, and I don't charge myself if my travel plans change.

Traveling by train is a big adventure. It's the people that make it fun.
If I bring my shootin iron, I would just have it unloaded in my carry on bag. If traveling through firearm friendly states. I wonder, if it is any kind of criminal offense to have a firearm on the train?
If they find you are "heavy", besides leaving you at the closed train depot in Keocuk Iowa at 2am, what else can AMTRAK do?

The Wicker Amendment was passed 68-30. H.R.3288 became Public Law 111-117 on December 16, 2009.

Link Removed
Link Removed

The Wicker Amendment was passed 68-30. H.R.3288 became Public Law 111-117 on December 16, 2009.

Link Removed
Link Removed
Firearms in Checked Baggage
The Departments of Transportation and Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act of 2010, enacted into law on December 16, 2009, requires Amtrak to implement the procedures necessary to provide storage and carriage of firearms in checked baggage cars and at Amtrak stations that accept checked baggage, within one year of the bill’s enactment. This requirement applies solely to checked baggage, not carry-on baggage.

Amtrak’s current policy prohibits all firearms, ammunition and other weapons aboard its trains. This includes any being carried on the person, in carry-on baggage or in checked baggage. Please be advised that this policy remains in effect until Amtrak begins firearm carriage service by December 2010.

:yu:

Firearms in Checked Baggage
The Departments of Transportation and Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act of 2010, enacted into law on December 16, 2009, requires Amtrak to implement the procedures necessary to provide storage and carriage of firearms in checked baggage cars and at Amtrak stations that accept checked baggage, within one year of the bill’s enactment. This requirement applies solely to checked baggage, not carry-on baggage.

Amtrak’s current policy prohibits all firearms, ammunition and other weapons aboard its trains. This includes any being carried on the person, in carry-on baggage or in checked baggage. Please be advised that this policy remains in effect until Amtrak begins firearm carriage service by December 2010.

:yu:

There is always don't ask don't tell.

There is always don't ask don't tell.

I'm down with that credo, MJ, but only in an environment I am familiar with. Because I've not traveled by train before, won't work for me here.

I'll have to use a mode of transport in which I can carry or at least transport my sidearm.

I'm down with that credo, MJ, but only in an environment I am familiar with. Because I've not traveled by train before, won't work for me here.

I'll have to use a mode of transport in which I can carry or at least transport my sidearm.

I've only ridden Amtrak for extremely short trips lately about 20 minute trips between Carpenteria and Santa Barbara. There is no personal nor bagage check at either end that I could see. I saw another discussion of it on some forum could even have been here and no one had seen any checks. I didn't even see any signs. But don't rely on that your experience may vary.

I'm not sure but I believe that a firearm violation on Amtrak would be a Federal crime. So you're taking a big chance if you carry on Amtrak. The only good thing about that is you could probably get to the U.S. Supreme Court faster than if violated a state law. I hate to fly but at least I can take my firearm when I do. Driving is best since my TX permit is good in 32 states at last count. Except for being disarmed I love the train if I have time - they're usually not very good at adhering to their schedules. But since they don't have any screening procedures you're really taking a chance to travel on Amtrak disarmed because any would-be terrorist or 15-minute fame seeker can pretty much get onboard and be assured that there's a whole train full of sitting ducks. At least on a plane you have a reasonable expectation that they dissuaded the other passengers from carrying a weapon of any kind - except maybe a boob or buttocks bomb (see the other thread about those). So these days I always drive unless time is of the essence and then it's the plane.

I'm not sure but I believe that a firearm violation on Amtrak would be a Federal crime. So you're taking a big chance if you carry on Amtrak. The only good thing about that is you could probably get to the U.S. Supreme Court faster than if violated a state law. I hate to fly but at least I can take my firearm when I do. Driving is best since my TX permit is good in 32 states at last count. Except for being disarmed I love the train if I have time - they're usually not very good at adhering to their schedules. But since they don't have any screening procedures you're really taking a chance to travel on Amtrak disarmed because any would-be terrorist or 15-minute fame seeker can pretty much get onboard and be assured that there's a whole train full of sitting ducks. At least on a plane you have a reasonable expectation that they dissuaded the other passengers from carrying a weapon of any kind - except maybe a boob or buttocks bomb (see the other thread about those). So these days I always drive unless time is of the essence and then it's the plane.
Amtrak reserves the right to inspect luggage, and carry on. Amtrak has their own police with sidearms. I am not sure what their powers are. If you have any pictures of female boobs or buttocks that may contain bombs post em.:pleasantry:

If you have any pictures of female boobs or buttocks that may contain bombs post em.:pleasantry:

Are we back to that again??? You wouldn't believe the number of times I've gotten in trouble by trying to do our country a favor and check out some of those that looked "suspect." People have become really ungrateful...

Sorry for the hijack, JJ!

Are we back to that again??? You wouldn't believe the number of times I've gotten in trouble by trying to do our country a favor and check out some of those that looked "suspect." People have become really ungrateful...

Sorry for the hijack, JJ!

Not a problem, Ga9. Actually, I'm thinking we oughta start a company (maybe get Homeland Security grants!) called "Boobcheck, Inc." or something. I'm seeing lots of suspicious boobies around lately that should probably be cleared. :biggrin: Gives new meaning to the term "boobie trap", dontcha think?

Absolutely!! I'm all for rights, but I think in these grave times, we should reserve the right to check people at random, without consent or warrantes being an issue. I'm sure HS will go for it. I spend a lot of time in and around a few busy airports, and I feel confident they don't really know where their money is going. I would say I could retire from a job like that, but I don't think I will ever get too old to check boobs for potential dangers! It's all in the interest of public safety.

I'm starting to think that the boob patrol is more than a good idea, it is a necessity! I would even go so far as to volunteer for this duty. No pay is required. I will do this to protect my fellow citizens.

As of now -- or let's say for the sake of discussion, July -- does or does not Amtrak search (metal detector or other) a percentage of its passengers?

Would woman boarding in Washington for California, then returning CA to WA, run the chance of being searched?

I'm all for Don't Ask, Don't Tell, and I believe "concealed" means exactly that. I won't say how many states I've carried in. But my Beloved Better Half is planning an train trip to CA and I'd hate to see her get into trouble for having her little .357 security blanket with her...

Has Amtrak yet implemented the new law requiring them to accept guns in checked luggage?

As of now -- or let's say for the sake of discussion, July -- does or does not Amtrak search (metal detector or other) a percentage of its passengers?

Would woman boarding in Washington for California, then returning CA to WA, run the chance of being searched?

I'm all for Don't Ask, Don't Tell, and I believe "concealed" means exactly that. I won't say how many states I've carried in. But my Beloved Better Half is planning an train trip to CA and I'd hate to see her get into trouble for having her little .357 security blanket with her...

Has Amtrak yet implemented the new law requiring them to accept guns in checked luggage?
Amtrak has the right to search. I don't know if they do so on the west coast. Amtrak police, are not federal law enforcement officers. Rather they are employee's of Amtrak who hold peace officer status in what ever state the railroad, and property of the railroad may be in.
If you spouse has a permit to carry in WA, she would be in violation of Amtrak's rules. Not state law. If she carries in CA, most likely she will be in violation of state law, and Amtrak's rules.
Probably the best thing to do, is leave the firearm at home. Otherwise take your chances by packing the firearm in her luggage, and hope Amtrak does not search the luggage which they have the right to do.
Amtrak is ten steps above the Greyhound. IMO, riding the dog is horrid.
Later on this year, it will be lawful to transport firearms on Amtrak, but it most likely will be similar to airline procedures today.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back