Transporting handgun on a MC

globecop

My Brother and I are taking a MC trip from Columbia, SC to West Palm Beach, FL and are curious if anyone knows the legality of transporting pistols on Motorcycles through these three states. We both have CCP's from SC, but Ga does not reciprocate as far as I can remember. Any thoughts? Please specify between opinions and Laws, but I am open to both. Thx

My Brother and I are taking a MC trip from Columbia, SC to West Palm Beach, FL and are curious if anyone knows the legality of transporting pistols on Motorcycles through these three states. We both have CCP's from SC, but Ga does not reciprocate as far as I can remember. Any thoughts? Please specify between opinions and Laws, but I am open to both. Thx

It looks like as of 10/09/09 http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USReciprocity.pdf

Georgia will not honor your So.Carolina CCP, therefore, I would advise placing your firearms(locked & unloaded) in a saddle bag or knapsack. Your firearm will not be readily accessible and thereby conforming with the statute of the FOPA(Firearm Owners Protection Act), allowing safe passage for owners of legally obtained firearms. Since many motorcycles do not have "trunks" but are still vehicles, I strongly believe they will allow it under its provision. Have a safe trip

Rick

Quickest solution would be to get NH, however they raised their fee's to $100 for a four year non-resident license. Another option would be to get a Florida license. Florida will accept your SC training. However Florida is going at or beyond the 90 day statutory window for issuance.

Quickest solution would be to get NH, however they raised their fee's to $100 for a four year non-resident license. Another option would be to get a Florida license. Florida will accept your SC training. However Florida is going at or beyond the 90 day statutory window for issuance.

Isn't NH running several weeks as well? I did get word from a few students that UT is issuing in about 6 weeks from the date that BCI processes payment (about 8 weeks total).

gf

Last edited:
It looks like as of 10/09/09 http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USReciprocity.pdf

Georgia will not honor your So.Carolina CCP, therefore, I would advise placing your firearms(locked & unloaded) in a saddle bag or knapsack. Your firearm will not be readily accessible and thereby conforming with the statute of the FOPA(Firearm Owners Protection Act), allowing safe passage for owners of legally obtained firearms. Since many motorcycles do not have "trunks" but are still vehicles, I strongly believe they will allow it under its provision. Have a safe trip

Rick

Do people not get that we have our own reciprocity map here? :to_pick_ones_nose:

If you have reciprocity with Florida, then you can Conceal carry while riding, or carry in a secured enclosure. A secure enclosure is just about anything that is closeable and not see through.. A console, glove compartment.. the compartment does NOT have to be locked and the gun can be loaded.
I either IWB with a shirt over, or put my pistol in a zippered pocket in my tank bag..
I can take the bag in with me where ever I go, and the gun does not dig into me on longer trips.

If you have a CHL reciprical with all the states you're traveling through (check the map), you're good to go! If not, you should check laws state-by-state; most consider a MC as an auto (out of driver's immediate reach etc is legal transport -New Mexico, Arizona to name a couple); some do not (Texas). Yes, I have checked, and do carry on a Harley with a valid CHL.

Isn't NH running several weeks as well? I did get word from a few students that UT is issuing in about 6 weeks from the date that BCI processes payment (about 8 weeks total).
Yes but he has to find a UT certified instructor to deliver the class and stamp their applications. While there are four in SC, I don't know if they'd be available to deliver a class immediately. All he needs to do to get NH is include a copy (both sides) of any CCW he has issued by a State or political subdivision of a State within the US.

Again here's what I preach if you're a travel and llegally CCW. Get your declared State of residency first (State that issues your DL), UT and any additional States you may need. The reason I preach UT is that once you have it, it's inexpensive to maintain. I would only get FL and NH if you need them given their cost. If you travel to CT or ME you have no choice but to get their non-resident CCW. The longer FL license term does make the $107 plus passport photo, fingerprinting and postage a bit more easier on the wallet if you break it down to a per year expenditure.

Recognition and reciprocity change and not necessarily in our favor as evidenced by what Link Removed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back