Toddler shoots mom at Walmart

E

ezkl2230

Moms Demand is going to be all over this one. Toddler reaches into mom's purse, evidentally pulls out pistol and pulls trigger, shooting and killing mom (who had a valid cpl). While inside the Walmart.

Walmart is already in bed with bloomberg; it doesn't take a psychic to see where this one is going to go with Moms Demand. This one is tailor made to use to support their push for gun bans in stores.

Woman shot, killed at Walmart in Idaho by two-year-old son

I know I know I know. All my anti-gun Facebook sites are loving this. So, she should have had it open carry in a holster or in a fanny pack made for her gun. Thank a god the kid is ok. $5.00 to NRA/JPFO, every time I hear of this five bucks.

Very sad. Walmart sells guns, and ammo. I think they would be more inclined to ban guns, if they did not sell gun items.

I am a big fan of Condition 3 training. Condition 3, and no one would have been killed, or a major stores business interrupted for 24 hours. Very far down the list of important things, but imagine the cost to that Walmart store closing down 24 hours with zero notice? They lost more money in one day, than most of us make in a year.

RIP to the woman and her family.

Mother Jones is going good on this topic on Facebook. Just had a long chat with their loony left followers. Of course Mother Jones makes most left leaning sites look like Right Wing nuts.

Very sad. Walmart sells guns, and ammo. I think they would be more inclined to ban guns, if they did not sell gun items.

I am a big fan of Condition 3 training. Condition 3, and no one would have been killed, or a major stores business interrupted for 24 hours. Very far down the list of important things, but imagine the cost to that Walmart store closing down 24 hours with zero notice? They lost more money in one day, than most of us make in a year.

RIP to the woman and her family.

Condition 1 in a proper holster on the body would be much safer for everyone then Condition 3 loose in the depths of a purse. But it is no surprise at all you are a fan of Condition 3 storage.... or "carry" as you would like to think.

Did anyone ever hear what kind of gun it was? All I ever read was a small caliber pistol.
This is one reason I'm against purse carry except as a last resort. That, and I tend to forget and leave my purse regularly.

This is one reason I'm against purse carry except as a last resort. That, and I tend to forget and leave my purse regularly.

I read the news story to my 18 year old daughter and asked her what she thought of purse carry. She said that's just stupid. I asked why? She said because you would never be able to get to it in time if you needed it. :). I asked, any other reason? She said, well, probably the first thing someone is going to take from a woman is her purse and there goes your gun.....

I'm so proud :) Not to mention we were in the hot tub together at the time after she got done doing three dance performances tonight and needed to take her prosthetic leg off and soak before going to bed. Did I mention how proud I am of her?

Terrible tragedy.

I think if you want to loose carry a firearm with one in the chamber, using a safety would be a good idea.

Condition 1 in a proper holster on the body would be much safer for everyone then Condition 3 loose in the depths of a purse. But it is no surprise at all you are a fan of Condition 3 storage.... or "carry" as you would like to think.

Misinformed post? You think?

Israeli Massad draw is not for lazy couch potatoes unwilling to train and learn. You need higher situational awareness, and you need greater gun control, across a wide variety of circumstances. It is an advanced method of carry, not something you do if you are afraid of your loaded gun. So often, people in gun forums, just do not get it. Condition 3 is a higher level of training, not a lower level.

I do not make fun of people carrying in condition 1, if that is all they can handle. I do not make fun of Barney with a bullet in his pocket, if that is his level. Everyone needs to find their place.

For folks seeking the training, no safer more comforting carry condition can be achieved than a Glock in Condition 3 in trained hands. I would rather have a bodyguard proficient at Condition 3 carry, than a dude with an 8 hour class in Concealed Carry.

Back to the topic, very sad for the family.

Several posts in this thread suggest the gun was loose in a purse. Why does one think that? A good conceal carry purse, has a dedicated pocket for the handgun, with an attached holster inside the pocket. You guys need to read up on purses more. Get out and hang with the girls. lol
Do you same guys, carry loose guns in your pockets, or Mexican carry in your belt? I would think you most likely do not, and women are smarter than guys, most always. A proper CC class, will get the ladies up on a proper purse. It is unfortunate the woman took her eyes off that purse and the child. Only takes a second or two.

Israeli Massad draw is not for lazy couch potatoes unwilling to train and learn. You need higher situational awareness, and you need greater gun control, across a wide variety of circumstances. It is an advanced method of carry, not something you do if you are afraid of your loaded gun. So often, people in gun forums, just do not get it. Condition 3 is a higher level of training, not a lower level.

I do not make fun of people carrying in condition 1, if that is all they can handle. I do not make fun of Barney with a bullet in his pocket, if that is his level. Everyone needs to find their place.

For folks seeking the training, no safer more comforting carry condition can be achieved than a Glock in Condition 3 in trained hands. I would rather have a bodyguard proficient at Condition 3 carry, than a dude with an 8 hour class in Concealed Carry.

Back to the topic, very sad for the family.

... scratching my head ... The Israeli Mossad trained Condition 3 carry because of the wide variety and quality of guns it had access to. It had to do with a standardized training for handling unreliable guns and not with some quest for a "higher-level of training."

Sure, carrying an empty chamber requires a higher-level of training in order to use the gun in a self defense situation, because the gun is not properly loaded, on purpose. As I explained about a year ago in another thread, I was once attacked by three guys. I used one hand/arm to protect myself from incoming fists, while I used the other to get out the chemical spray. I was able to free myself using the spray. The end result was a black eye and a broken nose. I was not able to legally carry a gun where this happened. If I had carried a gun, racking the slide to chamber a round would have been impossible without opening myself up to a knock-out punch. I am sure the you would have employed your higher-level training gun-fu, racked the slide, and shot all three. :lol:

Back to topic, this is certainly a sad story. What is even more sad is that people still think that this can't happen to them and continue to carry off body.

Israeli Massad draw is not for lazy couch potatoes unwilling to train and learn.

#1 Notice the "expert" can't even spell it correctly.

#2 Call me lazy if you want to. I just don't need to seek additional training to overcome all the disadvantages of the "advanced method" of condition 3 carry (until such time as I choose to obey a law that requires condition 3). Is a person who only learns how to drive an automobile a lazy couch potato because they never seek tractor-trailer driver training?

While I feel sorry for the family, I think it could be used as a case in point why everyone who handles a firearm needs to train and practice regularly. Training includes training to handle your weapon safely. Honestly you can never have too much training or too much practice when handling weapons. When carrying for self defense, any weapon's biggest limitation is the user. If you treat it like a magic wand, chances are it will work about as well as you would expect (i.e. not very).

An adult who allows a 2-year old child to have access to a firearm is not qualified to possess a firearm in the first place. This incident proves why that is true.

More importantly, if a 2-year old could get her gun and shoot her, then anyone in the store could have taken her gun. People steal wallets all the time from women who leave their purse in a cart while they shop. A thief looking for a wallet would get a bonus gun to sell to some other criminal to kill some other innocent person. She was a disaster waiting to happen.

The truth is we need to be allowed to carry everywhere to protect ourselves from both criminals and law abiding citizens who carry but are not responsible enough to possess a firearm.

Those who carry in a purse must use one with retention. A proper carry purse keeps the gun in it's own compartment, retained, with the trigger guard covered. However, this mother left her gun within reach of a child. While I feel very bad for the family I keep thinking what would have happened if the shot killed another person. She would've gone to jail. Better to keep the gun on your person at all times.
Holster purses - Link Removed

UPDATE Link Removed

She had hand gun classes, practiced at shooting ranges, hunted, was licensed to carry and carried every day.

The CC purse was a Christmas present from her husband.

She had her son and three nieces with her at Walmart.

Her son was in the cart while she left the purse unattended for a moment, probably thinking she was still carrying on body.

UPDATE Link Removed

She had hand gun classes, practiced at shooting ranges, hunted, was licensed to carry and carried every day.

The CC purse was a Christmas present from her husband.

She had her son and three nieces with her at Walmart.

Her son was in the cart while she left the purse unattended for a moment, probably thinking she was still carrying on body.

All it takes is one mistake, that is one of the many lessons to take away from this. That and never, never, never, never, never leave a weapon within the reach of a child, EVER!

I know alot of women carry in their purse... But as someone else mentioned, one of the main ways women get robbed is by some grabbing their purse and running - even grabbing it as they walk by and the purse is on the woman's shoulder, not just when they leave it unattended for a moment. I've discussed this with my g.f. and both of us agree it's not a good way to carry- even if it's a concealed carry purse.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back