The Long Shot

I read the article. It is interesting. After contemplating my roll with my CWP, and with my 3in. Kimber Raptor, as much as I would like to be 'the one' who stops the perp at 100 yds, I decided that I can't see what is beyond that 100 yds.

I enjoy my freedom too much to have to wonder what is on the other end of the ricochette or complete miss.

If I had access to a rifle, then maybe. A 100 yd pistol shot is not worth the possible repercussions.

If he was shooting at me in particular, and there was no place to hide, I may shoot back but I'm still not sure if I would want to hold still long enough to squeeze off a well aimed shot. If I was behind a car engine, again, maybe if he was reloading, maybe.

I just can't see too many scenarios where making a 100 yd shot with a pistol would be a prudent thing to do. Imminent danger is what my permit requires. I don't see where 100 yds is imminent danger although I guess you would have to be there, as in the problem with any fictional scenario.

Just talking about my thoughts about my actions, not what anyone else should do.

KK

Go to an IHMSA match. You will be amazed how far you can go with a handgun.

I was amused at the advertising on this link. "Hand to Hand for CCW" Time to run before doing that! CCW holders aren't "Warriors." We aren't obligated to chase and destroy our enemies!

-Doc

Doc, H2H4CCW is for those times when you have to fight to access your gun. Most carriers understand the need for some kind of provision for such emergencies as that course provides. None of us have the situational awareness of a psychic, so some backup of this nature can be handy to have.

Keykutter, might I suggest working 'long' for the other reasons stated in the article? That was part of the point I was making.

Doc, H2H4CCW is for those times when you have to fight to access your gun. Most carriers understand the need for some kind of provision for such emergencies as that course provides. None of us have the situational awareness of a psychic, so some backup of this nature can be handy to have.

Keykutter, might I suggest working 'long' for the other reasons stated in the article? That was part of the point I was making.

Yes, I was actually going to see what I could do at 100yds. The article is very thought provoking.

The hard spot I still have is proving imminent danger, but as I said, you would just have to be there.

KK

I'm actually looking at it more as a skills challenge right now than something I might actually have to do. (Yes, that might happen, but I acknowledge the odds as quite low.) It seems to be a good stretch outside of the usual shooting 'box' I've worked in for so long, and it has proven to be a way to fool myself into working more on the basics and fundamentals. Hopefully, the next time I step up to the 50/100 line I'll be better with it than the last time. In the meantime, I'm seeing improvement in the closer range static shooting I've been doing as a result of this as well. So far, I think the results justify five or ten percent of practice time spent working it specifically.

one of my favorite things to do

I have a 100 yard range on my property.
I love to post up a sheet of typewriter paper and clip it at 100 yards with my USP45.
I used to do that monthly but now it has been about 3-4 months since the last time.
It will probably take me a shot or two to get back on point.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back