The 1960's. Do You Have a Favorite Song?

Alvin Lee, "I'm Going Home"
Also lot's of tunes by Traffic, Blind Faith, Ten Years After, Humble Pie.

...I have close to 400 songs on Spotify....
I got over 15,000 on my PC. I'm an addict. Didn't realize I had anywhere near that many until one of my sons asked me recently and I started counting the files. Some of those are partials and special stuff like Christmas songs, though.

I got over 15,000 on my PC. I'm an addict. Didn't realize I had anywhere near that many until one of my sons asked me recently and I started counting the files. Some of those are partials and special stuff like Christmas songs, though.
^^this^^

Same here, I use hard drives in both cars to listen to music, and have put a HDD on The PS3 as well. I don't play games. I do like to listen to background music and watch streaming videos.

I've converted everything to 320kbps mp3s for compatibility across the board on songs. Sounds awesome, but my server is overkill for video and audio storage. Using hardware raid on a supercomputer I built 6 years ago. If only I had the money back for my home builds...

One positive, have so much music, after 10 or so songs, I forget I've heard it! Bottom line, more music than I'll listen to my entire life.

Rock-on, Rhino. Welcome to the dark world of music hoarding. Took me 9 years to get where I am.

I confounded my professional music teacher (university level) parents by listening to such bop bands as Herman's Hermits, Strawberry Alarm Clock, Paul Revere and the Radiers, and others too numerous to mention. Was 14 or so. I converted 7 other brothers and sisters to rock music, as I was the oldest, and listening to opera and classical music was not on our agenda as kids.

I listen to classical music a bit now, so the frontal attack on it has waned, and I've matured to embrace all music, except (c)rap and variants.

My mother is a concert pianist and organist (masters), my father played violin and piano (doctorate) and students used to practice their classical recitals in our home. That's why the aversion to the masters of classical music.

Yeah baby. They played all those tunes again live in a 2007 re-union concert with Jason Bonham on drums. First time they played under the name led Zeppelin since John Bonham died. The concert is called "celebration day." Check youtube. They tuned down one full tone. Getting older and can't hit those notes.
+ anything Hendrix.
Heyyy Joe, where you goin' with that gun in your hand? I said, Heyyy Joe, where you goin' with that gun in your hand?

I'm goin' down to shoot my ol' lady, you know I caught her messin' around, messin' around town...

Heyyy Joe, where you goin' with that gun in your hand? I said, Heyyy Joe, where you goin' with that gun in your hand?

I'm goin' down to shoot my ol' lady, you know I caught her messin' around, messin' around town...
"I gave her the gun!"
I use my droid in the vehicles. My wife's car has the Bluetooth link. I can use voice commands through the steering wheel controls. In my truck I have to plug the droid into the jack but it works pretty good. I create a playlist and let her rip. No CD's. No Sirius anymore.

Wow....I thought I had a lot of stuff.....I'm not even close to what you have. :biggrin:

I went to a monthly download subscription. I pay $9.99 per month for unlimited downloads on Rhapsody. The library is over 2 million songs. I download to the PC or Droid.

Santana's Soul Sacrifice from "Woodstock".

I have 11,518 files in 1,102 folders. Lot of music.

I did convert all of my old vinyl to cd's.

That's what a great amount of my files were created from. USB Numark turntable using Audacity software.
So you actually have to play each record to convert it? A lot of the old stuff has been digitally re-mastered from the originals but it's $1.29 per song. It ads-up to get all the good old stuff. I don't want to buy "The White Album" again. I bought it on vinyl, 8 track, cassette and CD over the years.

So you actually have to play each record to convert it? A lot of the old stuff has been digitally re-mastered from the originals but it's $1.29 per song. It ads-up to get all the good old stuff. I don't want to buy "The White Album" again. I bought it on vinyl, 8 track, cassette and CD over the years.

Yeah, It's not really that bad, Time consuming, but worth it. The resulting files are pretty good quality. :smile:

Any Hendrix tune! Any!
If you like Hendrix check out the late-great Gary Moore in his performance titled "Blues for Jimi."
Absolutely spectacular in performing all the Hendrix hits. You can also buy/download the CD on Rhapsody, Amazon or iTunes.

Hey, if we want to get on a Jimi tangent, I'm game. As usual though, I can't do it without giving a little pertinent history behind what I'm going to post, so here goes.

Raise your hand if you've ever heard of the Derek and the Dominos album, "Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs." OK, looks like just about everybody has. Now, how many people knew that Duane Allman was a prominent member of the all-star cast who contributed to that album? How many knew that the Layla Sessions had completely stalled out, and that Eric's producer, Tom Dowd, suggested they go groove to another one of Dowd's bands, The Allman Brothers Band, who were playing a gig in Miami that night? Eric told Dowd he'd heard a cat named "Allman" credited with the screamin' guitar solo on Wilson Pickett's version of "Hey Jude," and Dowd told him yeah, that's Duane Allman. Want to meet him? So they left Criteria Studios and the Layla Sessions to head to the Allmans gig. Duane was standing on stage with his eyes closed, head up, rippin' a solo when he opened his eyes and saw Dowd and Eric Clapton at the front of the stage. Long story short, Duane and Eric met up back stage, expressed their mutual admiration for each other, and Duane finally worked up the nerve to sheepishly ask Eric if he and his band could stop by Criteria and "watch" for a little while. The rest as they say, is history. Duane ended up playing on 11 of the 14 tracks, including the title track. That's Duane at the very beginning with the opening licks during the intro, and at the very end with the "bird sounds" during the piano outro, as well as fills and call-and-response leads with Eric everywhere in between.

So what could all this possibly have to do with Jimi Hendrix? OK, I'll explain....A little more than a month before the Layla Sessions kicked off in Miami, The Allman Brothers Band shared the bill with Jimi at the Atlanta International Pop Festival in Byron, GA (just a few miles North of the ABB's home base of Macon). The festival was July 3, 4, and 5, 1970. ABB headlined the show on the 3rd, and played another set during the day on the 5th, but Jimi was closing the show on the 5th, scheduled to go on around 9:00 PM, but didn't get on until after midnight. ABB had to hit the road as they were just a little more than a year into their career at that time and were doing more than 300 dates a year back then, so they didn't get to hear Jimi, and dreams of all dreams, Duane never got to jam with him. But a little more than a month ahead, and Duane would realize another dream when he met up with Clapton.

So Layla was stalled. Only a handful of songs had even been chosen when Duane joined them in the studio, but none had been laid down yet. Duane started playing a familiar lick that Eric knew well. Suddenly the band was jammin' on Little Wing, and as the night and intervening days jammed on, Duane related to Eric how disappointed he was that he didn't get to meet and/or play with Jimi. So Eric said hey, how about let's do a tribute to Jimi and do Little Wing? Again, the rest as they say, is history, and a unique and heavily Duane-inspired version of Little Wing was included on the album. One month after the Sessions, just as Layla was being pressed for its November release, Jimi died, so of course everyone thought it was a posthumous tribute to him, but it wasn't. It was just a great show of love and respect from two (IMO) of the three top guitarists in the world to the #1 top guitarist in the world. A little more than a year after that, Oct. 29, 1971, Duane died in a crash on his Harley on a side-street in Macon, GA. (No, he didn't hit a peach truck. He was cresting a hill and a lumber truck from the mill at the bottom of the hill turned left in front of him. He clipped the rear of the flat-bed, dropped the bike, his head struck the curb, and that's what killed him.)

OK, almost done. The ABB survived the deaths of Duane and Berry Oakley (orginal bass player) in a few different incarnations for the remainder of the 70's before calling it quits. They reunited after Dickey Betts and Great Southern and Gregg Allman shared a bill and buried the hatchet that had broken them up 10 years prior. Dickey brought Warren Haynes with him from Great Southern, Warren brought Allen Woody on bass, and Gregg talked Butch Trucks and Jaimoe into giving it another go. That was in 1989.

Late in '98, Woody and Haynes decided not to renew their contracts for the '99 tour. They left to pursue their own project, Gvm't Mule. Jack Pearson took Warren's place next to Dickey on stage, and Otiel Burbridge took Woody's duties on bass. Jack only lasted the rest of '98 though, and during the off-season rumors were rampant about who might be the slide guitarist during the '99 tour. Enter Butch Trucks' 19 year old nephew, Derek Trucks. And again, as they say, the rest is history.

The Brothers do a run at the Beacon Theater in NYC every year. They've done as many as 23 or 24 dates, mostly in March (they're up there now as I type), but it's always at least 10 or 11 shows. Well, in 2009, Derek took a side-job touring with Eric Clapton, and Clapton agreed to join the Brothers at the Beacon since his band couldn't play without Derek. The young-gun Derek being such a phenomenal slide-player, of course comparisons between him and Duane are always being made. I don't see it myself. They are very different kinds of players, but the comparisons are to be expected in any case. So when Eric "joined" the ABB, it seemed only natural to throw in a couple or three tunes off of Layla, and that's what all this has to do with the Jimi Hendrix tangent! LOL

With that, I give you The Allman Brothers Band with special guest, Eric Clapton, performing Eric's and Duane's pre-death tribute to Jimi Hendrix, "Little Wing." Enjoy!

Blues, SRV's version of Little Wing is spectacular. Stevie was taken much too early. Hendrix was one of my favorite performers. All this talk from the 60's has really brought some memories back.

Blues, SRV's version of Little Wing is spectacular. Stevie was taken much too early. Hendrix was one of my favorite performers. All this talk from the 60's has really brought some memories back.

SRV is indirectly responsible for my screen-name. Actually, weird as it sounds, his death is what's responsible for my screen-name. His big brother Jimmy, wrote a song in tribute to him after his passing, and it was performed with Double Trouble (Stevie's band), BB King, Bonnie Raitt, Eric Clapton, Robert Cray, Reese Wynans, Buddy Guy, Dr. John and at least a couple people who I don't recognize, at a memorial concert at Austin City Limits not long after he died. A video and a CD set was produced from the show, and was played often in our coffee shop when we owned it. It's called "Six String Down," but listen to the hook and you'll see where my user name came from:

I got online in about 1996. The Allmans had a huge web-presence even then. My first screen-name was "Allmaniac" because that's really the only place I hung out. When the Brothers fired Dickey Betts in 2000, I didn't really feel like "Allmaniac" anymore, so I asked the site to close that account and changed my name to BluesStringer, and that's what it's been ever since. The name came from the Jimmy Vaughn song, but it's still as much a tribute to Duane Allman as it is to Stevie. In fact, it's a tribute to all the great bluesmen who have made my time on this planet a little more tolerable, some of them named in the lyrics of the above song.

I've done a fair amount of pickin' in my day, and had some moderate success playing professionally too, but the nick was never intended to describe me personally, but to pay tribute to my favorite players, the blues genre, and to promote blues music every time I post, whether anyone else really gets it or not. That's why I always sign my posts simply.....

Blues

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back