Taurus 22?

The P22 IS a rather nifty (and accurate) little popgun. I bought one a while back to let my wife practice her marksmanship at the range without breaking the family shooting budget with higher priced ammo. Unfortunately, it has not had much use lately. She "picked up" on accurate shooting very quickly and didn't need excessive amounts of ammo to pick up on the accuracy at all. (In fact, with her S&W .357 "snubbie" her shooting is scary accurate! She can cover my six with no reservations.)

I HAVE toyed with carrying the Walther .22 concealed, but I would have to shell out over a C note for the sorter barrel (I got the target version.) and I have better things to do with $100 bucks plus. Besides, carrying a .22 versus something a little "heavier" would just be a "lark" anyway.

Since we are in the "neighborhood", I do note that Walther has a 380 in the same design as the P22. Anyone have any experience with it as yet? Now THAT I might be encouraged to shell out my hard earned moola for. LOL! (Always more "toys"!)

The P22 is a nice little gun, and very sexy. Ive carried it a few times but I do not prefer carrying a .22
I have seen the Walther in .380 but its harder to find, and there are not enough funds in the bank to purchase this among every other gun I want right now unfortunately

There's no need to get butt hurt because you buy cheap guns that some people feel are crap. Also, my comments were based on feedback from other people as well as my experience. Is this a 92fs?

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/images/D11/13/13586.jpg

No...it's a cheap azz knock off.

It's a PT-92 AFS, not that it makes any difference to me at all. Further, I believe it is made under copyright agreement with Beretta. As for "cheap azz", I believe the materials and quality thereof of the Taurus brand, in general, will compare favorably with US manufactures.... most of the price differentiation is found in the relative cost of labor US verus Brazil.

Considering the market share that Taurus has been able to gain over the past number of years, I'm not willing to concede that Taurus makes "junk". Certainly a discerning and circumspect average American gun buyer would have shunned the brand by now if it is as bad as you try to report. Be it noted that Taurus "cleaned up their act" in the expressed effort to gain market share in the US. I've always had an affinity for companies that "try harder" rather than try to rest on their past successes (or failures).

I am not "butt hurt" by your commentary. More like mildly amused would be a better description.

Don't know about you but I make my "purchases" only after finding and reading ACTUAL field testing of a given weapon. If I find no glaring fault, I go ahead with the purchase. REST ASSURED I would not base a buy/no buy decision based on your opinion alone, "Instructor" credentials notwithstanding, even if contrived from "other people's" opinions that happened to coincide with yours.

I buy to accomplish the mission at hand, in ANY product or service. I also go for the best "bang for the buck" (to toss in a double meaning there). For me, it's wise purchasing. I am not so rich as to be able to spend money for "prestige" items. I leave that to the more gullible.

GG

The P22 is a nice little gun, and very sexy. Ive carried it a few times but I do not prefer carrying a .22
I have seen the Walther in .380 but its harder to find, and there are not enough funds in the bank to purchase this among every other gun I want right now unfortunately

Yeah. Been there. Done that! LOL!

Just ask the old guy with 10 pistols in his (and "better half's") possession! Including two "antiques" I purchased 30+ years ago, before FPW (Fed Paper Work), that I intend to still have should the Government decide to deprive us of our 2nd Ammendment rights (and weapons) some time in my remaining years.

Just sayin'.

GG

I for one chose my 24/7 OSS DS .45 on it's balance, ergonomics...and "feel" over more boxy and angular designs. 1,000 plus rounds from various manufacturers and grains. All I can say it is perfect for me! I LOVE my Taurus. So do my wife and 13 yr old daughter. Yes...my daughter...she has constantly grouped COM at 25' at the range with my .45. (So Proud!!!) She wants her permit as soon as she of age to get one.

We (my wife and I) have been looking at ALL the makes in .22 for BUG and "I" keep coming back to Taurus.
I doubt you will go wrong choosing one!

I have 2 of the PT22 from Taurus.. Awesome little firearms!!! I do suggest the Rosewood grips vs the flat, stock grips on the all-metal model (they just came out with a poly frame model that has approx the same feel in the hand as the rosewood grips, same model #, and the barrel is a little shorter). Both are very accurate and reliable... only had 2 FTE when my wife was shooting it, which I attribute to her grip, not the firearm... Never had ANY problems with either one when I was shooting them... (once I showed her how to hold tighter, she had no further problems/malfunctions)

I had been looking for one locally for a few months (PT22) and finally found one... The wife was in the car with me and wasnt too happy when I stopped at the local gun store..... Long story short, the next day was my birthday and she FINALLY (after 24 yrs of marriage) said yes! when I asked her if she wanted to go to the range with me.... AND SHE STOLE MY NEW GUN BECAUSE SHE LIKED IT SO MUCH!!!!

(shhhh.... she doesnt know about the other one yet, lol) Well? she took mine, right?

It's a PT-92 AFS, not that it makes any difference to me at all. Further, I believe it is made under copyright agreement with Beretta. As for "cheap azz", I believe the materials and quality thereof of the Taurus brand, in general, will compare favorably with US manufactures.... most of the price differentiation is found in the relative cost of labor US verus Brazil.

Considering the market share that Taurus has been able to gain over the past number of years, I'm not willing to concede that Taurus makes "junk". Certainly a discerning and circumspect average American gun buyer would have shunned the brand by now if it is as bad as you try to report. Be it noted that Taurus "cleaned up their act" in the expressed effort to gain market share in the US. I've always had an affinity for companies that "try harder" rather than try to rest on their past successes (or failures).

I am not "butt hurt" by your commentary. More like mildly amused would be a better description.

Don't know about you but I make my "purchases" only after finding and reading ACTUAL field testing of a given weapon. If I find no glaring fault, I go ahead with the purchase. REST ASSURED I would not base a buy/no buy decision based on your opinion alone, "Instructor" credentials notwithstanding, even if contrived from "other people's" opinions that happened to coincide with yours.

I buy to accomplish the mission at hand, in ANY product or service. I also go for the best "bang for the buck" (to toss in a double meaning there). For me, it's wise purchasing. I am not so rich as to be able to spend money for "prestige" items. I leave that to the more gullible.

GG

Well, then you may find some interesting reading here:

"Conclusion -
In my opinion, the decision here is going to be between the Phoenix Arms HP22 and the Walther P22. The Taurus PT-22 should not even be considered."

Genitron.com: Handgun Reviews-22LR's

Hmmmm....go figure. I found that in seconds with a google search. BTW: When the mission at hand is protecting my life I buy the quality items. It's worth a few extra bucks. YMMV

Well, then you may find some interesting reading here:

"Conclusion -
In my opinion, the decision here is going to be between the Phoenix Arms HP22 and the Walther P22. The Taurus PT-22 should not even be considered."

Genitron.com: Handgun Reviews-22LR's

Hmmmm....go figure. I found that in seconds with a google search. BTW: When the mission at hand is protecting my life I buy the quality items. It's worth a few extra bucks. YMMV

So, YOU have never shot one, yet they are junk because someone else that YOU DO NOT EVEN KNOW didnt like the way it fit in HIS hand? You are soooooo easily swayed by others that I am amazed that you havent jumped off a cliff yet.....

I guess someone like me should not be trusted even though I actually own 2 of them (well, like I said, 1 belongs to the thieving wife...), and have ACTUAL experience with the firearm being discussed.......

BTW, in my experience with the Taurus, it is VERY accurate and fits superbly in my hand (that is the main reason I wanted one.... ) 5 of my family shot my wife's PT22 on Thanksgiving and all of them loved it too....

The article also went to the "a 22 is not a self defense round" area....., the mark of a true gun snob.... If it is such a weak caliber, why dont you let me shoot you with it?

(I carry my PT22 as a B/U to my 357..., but would NOT feel under-armed if for deep concealment I could only carry a .22)

To the original poster...If you haven't purchased the Taurus already, and are open to other small 22's check out the Bersa Firestorm. Link Removed
I had the pt22 from Taurus, and while it is a decent weapon with a great warranty, I found the bersa to be so accurate that I now have two of them. I also carry it as my primary weapon at times.

Wish I could test out my JHP a little more but its too expensive!

I hope you at minimum put a few mags of whatever you use through your carry gun before committing to it. Also don't forget to recycle your carry ammo due to bullet set back....

Rich: Now, ya see? I have always "heard" (heresay) that Pheonix Arms are "junk". But, since I have no experience with them.... I'll let it be.

Besides, I have no interest in .22s at the moment, so I let the entire caliber get "tested" by others and probably wouldn't read the "reports" anyway. (So many weapons, so little time! LOL!)

Pax!

GG

So, YOU have never shot one, yet they are junk because someone else that YOU DO NOT EVEN KNOW didnt like the way it fit in HIS hand? You are soooooo easily swayed by others that I am amazed that you havent jumped off a cliff yet.....

I guess someone like me should not be trusted even though I actually own 2 of them (well, like I said, 1 belongs to the thieving wife...), and have ACTUAL experience with the firearm being discussed.......

BTW, in my experience with the Taurus, it is VERY accurate and fits superbly in my hand (that is the main reason I wanted one.... ) 5 of my family shot my wife's PT22 on Thanksgiving and all of them loved it too....

The article also went to the "a 22 is not a self defense round" area....., the mark of a true gun snob.... If it is such a weak caliber, why dont you let me shoot you with it?

(I carry my PT22 as a B/U to my 357..., but would NOT feel under-armed if for deep concealment I could only carry a .22)

Facepalm....

Anyway, I gave my opinion on Taurus based on my experience and what I hear in the shooting community. The Taurus I fired was my father's. It was crap and he had terrible experiences with their customer service when he had issues. I've heard similar accounts from people at my range as well as on other forums and in my travels. If Taurus has cleaned up their act that's great but I honestly have never heard any positive feedback on their guns. I have enough experience with manufacturers that I like so I will never buy a Taurus. BTW...my .22lr handgun of choice is the Sig Mosquito. If you look for reviews on it you'll see tons of people bashing it but I like it. I never have any issues with it because I properly maintain it. I say it beats the MKIII, P22, or PT22 because it has the ergonomics of a larger caliber gun and I use remington golden bullet which gives a stronger recoil which makes it better for training. In short I don't care if someone gives my gun a bad review. GG stated he likes to read field reviews as do I so I quoted the one on the PT22. Unless you know someone who owns the gun, have the ability to rent one at a range, or come to a forum like this how else would you suggest one find out about a gun?

Ok...so now we're on to the great caliber dabate. Would you carry a CO2 pellet pistol for self defense? I didn't think so. Guess what....I wouldn't want to get shot with one of those either but that doesn't mean it's good for self defense. Would you not agree that rimfire cartridges are about ten times more likely to fail than centerfire cartridges? As far as the whole "deap concealment" thing, I pocket carry an LC9 all the time in environments where you really, really don't want to be outed and I never have any issues. One time I was sitting in the bleachers at a softball game and an LEO came over to scream at some people who were drinking in the stands. My hip was literally right in front of his face as I was sitting and he didn't say a word. Anyway, if you can shoot and conceal a .22 you can move up to a more reliable .25 or .32 centerfire cartridge very easily. A .22 for self defense is a very poor choice IMO. Of course you can find stories of people successfully defending themselves with .22s but there's also a story which I believe was on this forum about a 10 year old successfully defending his mother with a BB gun but that doesn't make it a good idea to carry one. If my life is on the line I want something that performs better than .22lr. YMMV and if you feel that way that's great but I think it's very ill advised....

Rich: Now, ya see? I have always "heard" (heresay) that Pheonix Arms are "junk". But, since I have no experience with them.... I'll let it be.

Besides, I have no interest in .22s at the moment, so I let the entire caliber get "tested" by others and probably wouldn't read the "reports" anyway. (So many weapons, so little time! LOL!)

Pax!

GG

Well if I were going to buy a Phoenix I would be looking for feedback.......

I for one chose my 24/7 OSS DS .45 on it's balance, ergonomics...and "feel" over more boxy and angular designs. 1,000 plus rounds from various manufacturers and grains. All I can say it is perfect for me! I LOVE my Taurus. So do my wife and 13 yr old daughter. Yes...my daughter...she has constantly grouped COM at 25' at the range with my .45. (So Proud!!!) She wants her permit as soon as she of age to get one.

We (my wife and I) have been looking at ALL the makes in .22 for BUG and "I" keep coming back to Taurus.
I doubt you will go wrong choosing one!

Having said all I can about Taurus, et al. MY "BUG" is the .32 Beretta Tomcat (INOX). I sometimes just slip it into my pocket if I am just heading down to the local store/gas station rather than "gearing up" with my primary carries.

But, we all gots our druthers! Yes?

Oh, about Tomcats. The early models were a bit thinly made, I have read, and there was reported to be frame crack development over time. Beretta "fixed" the problem, and the INOX model is the best of the fixed. I've got around 500 down the tube of mine, no problems.

GG

Rich: There ya go! Your Dad's Taurus was probably an older model (pre "facelift"), and yes, there ARE widespread reports of the older models being junky. However, like I said, the newer models are sound and some of their designs are rather innovative.

But, I suspect we have kicked THAT poor "dead horse" enough for one thread! LOL!

GG

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back