Taurus 22?

willpruitt

Saw a Taurus 22 in Guns & Ammo magazine the other day, and I'm wondering if I could get some feedback about the gun. Looked like a good concealment gun, easy to hide. All input would help

My wife carries her Taurus PT22 daily. It shoots great for a little gun. It took a while to break in. Only certain ammos feed properly.

I've only fired one Taurus. It was a revolver and really felt like a POS to me. I've heard many bad things about Taurus and they are known for horrific customer service. YMMV

Also.....a .22 for concealed carry? I'd think about a larger caliber if I were you. Again...YMMV

Taurus P22 ply

We also saw the article and went out and bought one! We ran a 100 rounds thru it without a problem and it is dead on accurate.The feature of raising the barrel to load the first bullet means the slide does not have to be racked. It is very easy to break down and clean. Besides all that....reallly fun to shoot. It must be pretty popular because it took us a month to find one. Hope this helps!

I've only fired one Taurus. It was a revolver and really felt like a POS to me. I've heard many bad things about Taurus and they are known for horrific customer service. YMMV

Also.....a .22 for concealed carry? I'd think about a larger caliber if I were you. Again...YMMV

I'm not certain if your "scientific research" effort is sufficient for any of us to place any confidence in your humble estimation and negative rep of Taurus.

You offer us your single episode of firing a Taurus, in which, I gather, there were no REAL malfunctions. It just didn't "feel" right to you. Then you go on to toss in "hearsay" evidence (non-admissable) on the entire brand and customer service.

Hopefully your instructor's methods are better "researched" and tried and proven more so than your method of "field testing".

Just sayin'.

GG

Taurus has really gotten their stuff together over the years but the problem is these guys go into gun shops and talk to completely inexperienced clerks who bad mouth Taurus. Then they walk out of the store and spread the word as if they have any experience whatsoever. The Taurus 709, 809, 738, pt22/25, millennium series, 24/7 series and their 1911 are all great guns. I'd also trust my life with any of their revolvers. Please let go of the Taurus hate. Any and all gun manufacturers have lemons. Taurus has a great customer service department, warranty and fast turn around.

My opinion on the Taurus 22 for concealed carry for the lady, its a good choice. Very small recoil makes for great follow ups, its small and easy to hide and its also very cheap to shoot and break in. Just make sure to purchase and try different ammo options as a lot of 22lr ammo is mass produced and dirty.

I'm not certain if your "scientific research" effort is sufficient for any of us to place any confidence in your humble estimation and negative rep of Taurus.

You offer us your single episode of firing a Taurus, in which, I gather, there were no REAL malfunctions. It just didn't "feel" right to you. Then you go on to toss in "hearsay" evidence (non-admissable) on the entire brand and customer service.

Hopefully your instructor's methods are better "researched" and tried and proven more so than your method of "field testing".

Just sayin'.

GG

I'm not certain if I really care what you think of my post.

I'm not certain if I really care what you think of my post.

.... and us your claim to be an "Instructor". Sounds more like just another opinionated prig banking on his laurels. (Or trying to.)

But, I will let the judgement of readers render verdict here. You already have mine.

GG

As an owner of two Taurus PT1911s I'd say Rich S is wrong. Both are .45s and both have been dead accurate from day one. Yes I have fired +P rounds thru the blued one. Worked fine with everything I have fed it. No it didn't break. +P rounds have gone thru the stainless one too. We'll see what it is like after 1000 rounds but so far, so good.Link Removed

Taurus has really gotten their stuff together over the years but the problem is these guys go into gun shops and talk to completely inexperienced clerks who bad mouth Taurus. Then they walk out of the store and spread the word as if they have any experience whatsoever. The Taurus 709, 809, 738, pt22/25, millennium series, 24/7 series and their 1911 are all great guns. I'd also trust my life with any of their revolvers. Please let go of the Taurus hate. Any and all gun manufacturers have lemons. Taurus has a great customer service department, warranty and fast turn around.

My opinion on the Taurus 22 for concealed carry for the lady, its a good choice. Very small recoil makes for great follow ups, its small and easy to hide and its also very cheap to shoot and break in. Just make sure to purchase and try different ammo options as a lot of 22lr ammo is mass produced and dirty.

.22lr for concealed carry? Questions for you: What is the most finnicky caliber that is most prone to failure? How many times have you had to strike a rim fire cartridge multiple times before it went off? Are you willing to bet your life on that?

.... and us your claim to be an "Instructor". Sounds more like just another opinionated prig banking on his laurels. (Or trying to.)

But, I will let the judgement of readers render verdict here. You already have mine.

GG

Please allow me to explain how internet forums work as you seem to misunderstand the concept. People post questions, news stories, talk about their experiences, or maybe post about subjects they want to discuss or etc. Other people then reply to those posts. Very often these replies express opinions. Opinions may vary greatly. For example, I own an M&P and a LC9. I like both guns. If I post that opinion I am very likely to come accross another poster who thinks both of those guns are crap for one reason or another. Understand?

Taurus made shoddy weapons for a short time when they first started out. Now, buy any new taurus and you've made a good buy. Some of the bad mouthing comes from gun stores trying to profit from rumors. Taurus makes inexpensive yet reliable guns anyone should be proud to own. And as for a .22 for SD... more power to ya! Carry what you are comfortable with and what you can xarry all the time. Tuck that little. 22 in your swim trunks and know your safer than having a 9mm subcompact at home or in the car.

Please allow me to explain how internet forums work as you seem to misunderstand the concept. People post questions, news stories, talk about their experiences, or maybe post about subjects they want to discuss or etc. Other people then reply to those posts. Very often these replies express opinions. Opinions may vary greatly. For example, I own an M&P and a LC9. I like both guns. If I post that opinion I am very likely to come accross another poster who thinks both of those guns are crap for one reason or another. Understand?

OK. Let's start over. OP asked about a specific weapon. You castigated an entire brand from but a SINGLE firing of a type of that brand, not even the specific weapon OP asked about.

I don't mind someone posting "opinions", but your's was an "opinion" founded on thin air. Generally folks will post an opinion based on SOME experience.

For instance; I own three Tarus pistols. A PT-58, a PT-92 and a .357 seven shot Tracker which my wife has "adopted" as her own "home defense" goto gun. NONE of these weapons have given me an ounce of trouble and the one part that I lost while cleaning my "58" (of early 90's vintage) I had no trouble finding a replacement part for, through that "horrendous" customer service you speak of.

Still, this does not give me the "excuse" to post commentary on the OP's .22 Taurus, having had no experience with them at all.

See the difference? (... and the reason I "called you out"?) I realize the concept IS a bit subtle.

As for explaining the machinations of "how forums work" to me...... Never mind. I can readily see that you DO have an opinion for everything under the sun, including my "understanding" of how forums work. All we poor readers have to ascertain is how much credibility to assign your opinions.

Until that time I shall bask in the searing brilliance of your opinions and prose. (LOL!) NOT!

GG

OK. Let's start over. OP asked about a specific weapon. You castigated an entire brand from but a SINGLE firing of a type of that brand, not even the specific weapon OP asked about.

I don't mind someone posting "opinions", but your's was an "opinion" founded on thin air. Generally folks will post an opinion based on SOME experience.

For instance; I own three Tarus pistols. A PT-58, a PT-92 and a .357 seven shot Tracker which my wife has "adopted" as her own "home defense" goto gun. NONE of these weapons have given me an ounce of trouble and the one part that I lost while cleaning my "58" (of early 90's vintage) I had no trouble finding a replacement part for, through that "horrendous" customer service you speak of.

Still, this does not give me the "excuse" to post commentary on the OP's .22 Taurus, having had no experience with them at all.

See the difference? (... and the reason I "called you out"?) I realize the concept IS a bit subtle.

As for explaining the machinations of "how forums work" to me...... Never mind. I can readily see that you DO have an opinion for everything under the sun, including my "understanding" of how forums work. All we poor readers have to ascertain is how much credibility to assign your opinions.

Until that time I shall bask in the searing brilliance of your opinions and prose. (LOL!) NOT!

GG

There's no need to get butt hurt because you buy cheap guns that some people feel are crap. Also, my comments were based on feedback from other people as well as my experience. Is this a 92fs?

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/images/D11/13/13586.jpg

No...it's a cheap azz knock off.

What is it with these forums and people like rich? It's crazy to think how angry the gun community is. Go take it out on your wife dude nobody here cares

Rich_S:248235 said:

The .22 is better than nothing. :)

.22 may not be as reliable of a cartridge but anything can fail. I had a misfire on a .40SW Remington UMC. My firing pin put a nice dent in the primer and it never went off. However, if I carried a .22, I would carry my Walther P22 with 10+1 rounds of .22
But I'd rather carry my Glock with 15+1 rounds of .40 in it

.22 may not be as reliable of a cartridge but anything can fail. I had a misfire on a .40SW Remington UMC. My firing pin put a nice dent in the primer and it never went off. However, if I carried a .22, I would carry my Walther P22 with 10+1 rounds of .22

With some lots of .22 it's not uncommon to see a round need to be struck twice two or three times for each mag. It even happens with the more expensive stuff like CCI Minimag. I can also see it happening once in a while with UMC but how many times have you ever had a misfire with premuim JHP self defense ammo?

The P22 IS a rather nifty (and accurate) little popgun. I bought one a while back to let my wife practice her marksmanship at the range without breaking the family shooting budget with higher priced ammo. Unfortunately, it has not had much use lately. She "picked up" on accurate shooting very quickly and didn't need excessive amounts of ammo to pick up on the accuracy at all. (In fact, with her S&W .357 "snubbie" her shooting is scary accurate! She can cover my six with no reservations.)

I HAVE toyed with carrying the Walther .22 concealed, but I would have to shell out over a C note for the sorter barrel (I got the target version.) and I have better things to do with $100 bucks plus. Besides, carrying a .22 versus something a little "heavier" would just be a "lark" anyway.

Since we are in the "neighborhood", I do note that Walther has a 380 in the same design as the P22. Anyone have any experience with it as yet? Now THAT I might be encouraged to shell out my hard earned moola for. LOL! (Always more "toys"!)

I have also toyed with the idea of getting the .40 version of my current fave carry gun, the Beretta 9000s. I'm a lefty and finally "found" a form fitting, bikini holster for it. Sits well, doesn't "print" and doesn't "poke me" like the IWB and "paddle" holsters I have for some of my other carry weapons. (Everyone has their "druthers" as to guns and holsters. Whatever serves the purpose intended and is comfortable, right?)

Ballistics reports on .22 versus .25, IIRC, doesn't show that much difference in chutzpah. However the .25, being center fire, is alledged to be more consistant in actually firing when "fired". (Although in fifty plus years of shooting various types of .22s, I have never had a misfire, ever.)

In fact, the only misfire I ever had was with a .50 cal in Nam. (Fortunately NOT during a crucial situation!) The humidity was HELL on weapons over there. LOL!

GG

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back