Suggestions for my wife

keally1123

Hello everyone,

I am fairly new to firearms and my wife is even newer. I am looking for a handgun she can carry and that isnt too difficult for her to shoot. So I guess my question is what do you ladies like to shoot and carry? She is 5'10 so she is able to handle a bigger gun but at the same time I want it to be carried. She is on our third child and I figure its time for her to be able to defend the family without me being around instead of just ignoring the evil in the world.

There has been many threads on this if you look back. Hwowever i still think its a great question, the best answer i think you will get from most is whatever she finds comfertable. She needs to pick it out if you excpet het to carry it. My wife carries an lcp but she doesnt enjoy shooting it at the range, she only will shoot enough to stay in practice because it has a bark for a little gun. If your wife has tehe chance to shoot which ever gun she picks before buying would be a benifit. Hope this helps a little.

Easy thing to do is go to your local rang and rent a few that catches her eye. 9mm, .38 would be ideal. I did the same for my wife. I said if we had to rent 100 guns to find the right one for her we will. It only to 2 trips to the range an the second time she chose the Springfield XD 9 mm 4 inch model.

Like the man says, try before you buy. A good 38 revolver like a ladysmith, or a small 9 like maybe the new shield would be good starts.

Ruger GP Revolver

My wife will only shoot the Ruger GP100 its a revolver 357 mag. The 357 magnum will also shoot 38 specials. The 38spl is my wifes choice. She has shot my 380 9mm 40cal 45 cal. She just prefers the Ruger GP100 with 38spl's. My guess is that the revolver is simple and self explanatory. Also she don't have to worry about it jamming when she needs in time of crises.

Something i learned with my old lady was let her pick out what is comfortable but also attractive. Spend the extra few bucks on the pretty one. She will more likely carry it then. Let it be accessory. She will then never leave home without it.

Believe it or not my wife caries a Sr22, I know some people say its not a good chp weapon but from holster to target, all 10 rounds in 6 secs or less (with practice Ofcourse) and she's confident and comfortable, that's all that matters

my wife carries a s&w .38 spec +p airweight, hammerless. has 5 shots and you just cannot get any more uncomplicated than that. i also put a crimson trace laser on it for her so it makes it pretty much a point and bang weapon. just a suggestion

My Wife also carries the S&W Airweight .38. She shoots it double action. She says it takes her less time to just squeeze than to try and pull the spur less hammer back. She has trouble pulling it all the way back. When she out shot my single action shooting with her double action, I had to agree with her. What else could I do?

She is like a lot of females, going out and shooting would be far less fun than going to the clothing store. She is not fond of semi autos, too many little things to remember and with her not shooting often, she might forget one of those little things when the bad guy is approaching.

My wife will only shoot the Ruger GP100 its a revolver 357 mag. The 357 magnum will also shoot 38 specials. The 38spl is my wifes choice. She has shot my 380 9mm 40cal 45 cal. She just prefers the Ruger GP100 with 38spl's. My guess is that the revolver is simple and self explanatory. Also she don't have to worry about it jamming when she needs in time of crises.

The GP100 is an excellent firearm, but it is quite heavy and bulky for concealed carry imho.
My guess is that your wife prefers firing the GP100 loaded with 38 special rounds because of the very low recoil factor.

Look for a NRA first steps class and take the class with her. Then find a range that rents handguns and start trying out different firearms.

My wife use to carry a S&W Mdl 36 .38spl snubbie, now she carries a M&P 9c.

f0dxlc.jpg

No such thing as a foolproof anything, man-made that is. However, the revolver is a good choice (Value judgment). No miss-feeds, no jams and with practice speed loading becomes easier and faster. My wife will not shoot anything at all but a .38 Spl. S&W Mod. 15, Combat Master Piece. I bought her a K frame Lady Smith .357 Mag. She does not like to practice with it or much of anything else. I bought her a Glock 26. It is now my son’s ankle-service-back up carry. She could not operate the slide with ease. The .38 is a versatile piece. The Semi-Wad cutters I load for paper punching are inexpensive and the 125 gr. SJHP’s are easy to control and easy to master the speed loading technique. If you are able to find a rent to shoot range I would suggest she try all available to see what she is comfortable with. Then purchase accordingly. I highly suggest a training session with a qualified instructor and practice, practice, practice. A gift sub to the NRA is also suggested.

Ok, I'm the wife and I didn't want to carry nor did I enjoy shooting until recently. Things changed when I got to choose my weapon. First thing to remember is she has to make the choice and it's not only about what she likes to shoot but what conceals for her. I have a S&W 638 that I almost always carry in a Flashbang but I also carry a Glock 23 and a Colt and a Kimber Commander. I haven't bought a holster for the Glock or the 1911s yet because I'm still looking for a comfortable way to carry. Appendix is winning though. Now, by far my favorite shooter is the Colt. By the way the 1911s are both .45. I did buy a Khar in 9mm but don't like shooting it. My son has a Glock 26 that he's given to his wife and it's much better. Now for my opinions. I don't like having a 9mm for close contact, I don't want to take a chance of no expansion of the bullets. Smaller weapons are meant for up close use, I don't want to be that close to an attacker and want them stopped quickly and away from me if possible. Those smaller weapons are not comfortable for me to shoot. My hands are large and seem to be in the way no matter how I hold the things and I get pinched but they are easier to conceal. Don't shy away from revolvers they're easier to use but again shoot anything and everything you can and try the weapons in holsters in various positions before making a decision.

After looking at a few, my wife decided on a S&W 442 .38+P. Having the "airweight" titanium frame, it's got a little kick, but after a lot of practice, she's gotten quite good with it. The 442 is reasonably priced too. I think I paid about $360 for it.

Started out the wife with a Ruger SR22 then moved her up to a 9mm, Springfield XD which she loves and shoots the crap better than me. Also got her a Taurus Slim PT709 for carry. Unfortunately had to return to Taurus for repair after taking it to the range once, the trigger sucked.

We are starting my wife out with the Bersa Thunder 380. Took her to the range rented this and let her go to town. She was shooting tighter groups than I do with my 357 wheel gun. She really enjoyed the fit and feel of it. We can always trade up later but I like this gun to not going to part with right away.

I bought my wife a Sig 380 cal and she loves it. Faily light weight with low recoil. My only problem is that she has a concealed carry but is reluctant to carry when we are out and about. Any ladies here have suggestions to get her over this fear?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back