Storing Ammo in Ammo Cans

utimmer43

A problem we all wish we had... My ammo cans are full.

Right now, I store my ammo in their original cartons, inside the ammo cans. I'm pretty thin on cash right now, so buying more cans isn't very high on the priority list (plus, the more ammo I can stuff into as few cans as possible, the better).

So, is there any problem with eliminating all the cartons, and just dumping the loose ammo into the cans, in bulk?

metal to metal causes a chemical reaction that will cause the brass to corrode. That is what I have been told anyway.

I've got some 9mm that's been stored loose for 10 years w/o any problems. I'd suggest putting some dessicant packs in the cans(make sure they don't contact the ammo or the can). If you have different types of ammo, you can use ziplock freezer bags to make the seperations within the can. I have run out of ammo cans and used the ziplok bags alone to keep moisture away from reloaded ammo.

I've got some 9mm that's been stored loose for 10 years w/o any problems. I'd suggest putting some dessicant packs in the cans(make sure they don't contact the ammo or the can). If you have different types of ammo, you can use ziplock freezer bags to make the seperations within the can. I have run out of ammo cans and used the ziplok bags alone to keep moisture away from reloaded ammo.
I'm thinking about lining the cans with cardboard and making cardboard dividers to separate calibers. I have desiccant packs in them already, but I'm due for a new batch.

I was just wondering if having the loose rounds laying in a pile (as opposed to being nicely separated in individual slots, the way they come.) would have any adverse effect.

Georgia Arms sells their ammo under the name Canned Heat with 50 or 100 rounds per plastic bag, 500 or 1000 rounds per ammo can. The rounds are loose in the ammo cans. Winchester White Box comes 100/box loose packed.

Seems like it works for them.

I have used my vacuum sealer to seal 50 rounds per bag, so that I can grab a package to throw in my range bag, and can get over 1000 rounds per 50 cal can. The ammunition is now sealed against the air and moisture, even if the seal on the can fails.

I've had several hundred rounds of .223 loose in an ammo can with desiccant packs (touching the ammo) for several years with no adverse effects. I shoot a hundred rounds or so of it every year.

Just follow directions-- keep it dry and cool. It will last longer than us if kept that way. I have some in all kinds of containers. I would advise against placing directly against unlined metal containers. There are desiccant packs in about everything we have. Even the stuff Oxygen purged with Argon gets them.

I have used my vacuum sealer to seal 50 rounds per bag, so that I can grab a package to throw in my range bag, and can get over 1000 rounds per 50 cal can. The ammunition is now sealed against the air and moisture, even if the seal on the can fails.

Great idea! I use my vacuum sealer for the relocated deer in my freezer:biggrin:, and never thought of storing ammo that way. I might need a few more bags. you can reuse them if you leave enough 'tail'

Ammo has to be stored properly, keep your old boxes plastic containers always.
When bullets are bought like those 100 rds boxes of 9mm Winchester super cheap at walmart put them in boxes. Or primers get damaged casings can be deformed and accidents will inevitably happen.:no:

I use the 5x7" deluxe cloth bags (available at uline) to store ammo in. I Sharpie the date and ammo specs on each bag and store it in an ammo can with a couple of the small desiccant packs. I have one (or more) ammo cans for each caliber of ammo and it works great.

We shoot so much in our house that we're constantly cycling out ammo, but I've had some ammo stored this way for 10+ years with no adverse affects.

S

I have several 50 cal. ammo cans full of bulk .223 and 45 acp, and a few with 12 gauge buckshot and slugs. I occassionally shoot some and rotate some out. Never had any problems. Been doing it for years. The main thing is keep them in a dry and somewhat cool place, like a closet. I also would not use bulk storage if you are going to be hauling them around alot in a car or something. The constant vibration and rubbing against each other would have to cause damage sooner or later. In that case, I would leave them in the boxes.
Just a note: about a year ago, I opened an old ammo can in a storage building that belonged to my grandfather and later my Dad. It contained bulk 45 ACP ammo. Most of it had 1960's stampings on it from the Vietnam War. It still shoots well in my pistols. I also have some World War II 45 that I bought about 10 years ago that shoots as good.

Try shooting some to reduce inventory. I write the purchase date (mm/yyyy) on my boxes to keep rolling the supply over and keep manufacturer running.

I still have a little 60's 308 sitting about. Works just fine. Still in the ammo cans it came in. And you are right--should be rotating it.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back