Somewhat complicated CCW Question

timmyc99

Hi all - brand new to the site, though I've been a lurker for quite a bit. Glad to be here!

Here's my question:
Let's say that I am an NC resident, and possess an NC CCW. I also have a PA Non-Resident CCW. Firstly, if I move to New Jersey, will my NC permit still be good until it expires? (I'm guessing not, but some states, such as WY, do it that way). Secondly, and probably more complicated - would my PA permit still be valid?
I know, it sounds like a pain. Basically, I love my NC CCW (lots of reciprocity) but will probably end up having to move to NJ, where I understand that it's pretty much impossible to obtain a permit. I want to maintain some way of legally carrying concealed in other states once I move to NJ.

Hopefully that's clear enough - I'd appreciate any input people may have. (And "Don't move to New Jersey!" is an obvious bit of advice, I know, but I might not be able to avoid it :cray:)
Tim

Your PA LTCF is good until it expires or is revoked. I dont see anything in NC statutes that invalidates the NC CHP on moving out of state.

The issue comes on renewal of both. NC does NOT issue to non-residents, and PA will only issue if you have one from your home state...and NJ doesnt issue.

So you are going to need to get UT or FL.

and with that said your PA or NC...FL or UT...none of those will allow you to carry in NJ.

Why would anyone in their right mind who has a CCW move to New Jersey, Wisconsin, Illininois, etc.? Good God, man!
Yeah, I'm going to have to agree here. I can imagine no scenario that would convince me to live there. I don't even like to pass through. The state pretty much just sucks.

Sorry, I got carried away.:biggrin:

Dude there is a section of this site that shows / explains all this .... hint ..... it looks like a map of the USA

Thanks for all the input guys.. looking at it, I guess my concern is having a LEO look at my permit(s) and him wondering why the address on the permits (which would be in NC) does not match my license (which would be in NJ) - has anyone had any experience with that sort of thing?

You Can Apply for and get a Non-Resident FLORIDA Permit very easy. That allows Carry in Many States...Not as many as if it was a Resident Permit, But enough..and Better than Nothing...
Everyone should Move to vermont or Alaska!

God Bless and Stay Safe, CAPTAIN

NC permit

In NC you have 30 days to notify of a change of address. If that address is out of state they will revoke it.

Why would anyone in their right mind who has a CCW move to New Jersey, Wisconsin, Illinois, etc.? Good God, man!
First let me say that I lived in the NYC area for 12 years.. Finally moved to Florida more than 10 years ago.. I've been out of work since June. I was offered to apply to a position that is in line with my career, but it was in NJ and I flatly refused to apply... I guess I'd rather be out of work than give up my constitutional rights..
I am looking in other states, but NJ is NOT one of them..

Is there a statute that says that and I missed it? The 30 days I saw...but not the auto revocation.

The Sheriff of your home county gets the change of address and they can revoke your permit since you are no longer a resident of NC. NC does not issue permits to residents of other states.
Link Removed

The sheriff of the county where the permit was issued or the sheriff of the county where
the individual resides may revoke a permit, subsequent to a hearing, for any of the following
reasons:
1. Fraud, intentional or material misrepresentation in obtaining a permit;
2. Misuse of a permit, including lending or giving a permit to another person,
duplicating a permit, or using a permit with the intent to unlawfully cause
harm to a person or property;
3. The doing of an act or existence of a condition which would have been grounds
for the denial of the permit by the sheriff;

4. Violation of any terms governing the carrying of concealed handguns; or
5. The applicant is adjudicated guilty, or receives a Prayer for Judgment
Continued for a crime which would have disqualified the applicant from
initially receiving a permit.
N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-415.18

The Sheriff of your home county gets the change of address and they can revoke your permit since you are no longer a resident of NC. NC does not issue permits to residents of other states.
Link Removed

The sheriff of the county where the permit was issued or the sheriff of the county where
the individual resides may revoke a permit, subsequent to a hearing, for any of the following
reasons:
1. Fraud, intentional or material misrepresentation in obtaining a permit;
2. Misuse of a permit, including lending or giving a permit to another person,
duplicating a permit, or using a permit with the intent to unlawfully cause
harm to a person or property;
3. The doing of an act or existence of a condition which would have been grounds
for the denial of the permit by the sheriff;

4. Violation of any terms governing the carrying of concealed handguns; or
5. The applicant is adjudicated guilty, or receives a Prayer for Judgment
Continued for a crime which would have disqualified the applicant from
initially receiving a permit.
N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-415.18

Gotchya...I did miss that section.

reasons:
Given the discretionary meaning of the word may I would at least call the sheriff's office just to be sure that it will in fact be revoked. None-the-less, sooner or later the OP is going to have to go a different route.

Remember that it is not just guns that are an issue in NJ but also ammo. Hollow points, it seems to me, are bad news. And don't for one second think that ANY concealed carry permit you may have is good in NJ. I hear that the governor applied for a CCP and was refused.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back