Showing state ID and Conceal Permit.

i have asked this same question around Colorado where i leave. I have asked both local police and state troopers and get different answers as how to handle it. one says to tell right from the start the other says to only say something after the officer tells you why you were pulled over and asks for drivers licence and registration.

Here I looked it up for you:

TITLE 18. CRIMINAL CODE
ARTICLE 12. OFFENSES RELATING TO FIREARMS AND WEAPONS
PART 2. PERMITS TO CARRY CONCEALED HANDGUNS

C.R.S. 18-12-204 (2013)

18-12-204. Permit contents - validity - carrying requirements

(1) (a) Each permit shall bear a color photograph of the permittee and shall display the signature of the sheriff who issues the permit. In addition, the sheriffs of this state shall ensure that all permits issued pursuant to this part 2 contain the same items of information and are the same size and the same color.

(b) A permit is valid for a period of five years after the date of issuance and may be renewed as provided in section 18-12-211. A permit issued pursuant to this part 2, including a temporary emergency permit issued pursuant to section 18-12-209, is effective in all areas of the state, except as otherwise provided in section 18-12-214.

(2) (a) A permittee, in compliance with the terms of a permit, may carry a concealed handgun as allowed by state law. The permittee shall carry the permit, together with valid photo identification, at all times during which the permittee is in actual possession of a concealed handgun and shall produce both documents upon demand by a law enforcement officer. Failure to produce a permit upon demand by a law enforcement officer raises a rebuttable presumption that the person does not have a permit. Failure to carry and produce a permit and valid photo identification upon demand as required in this subsection (2) is a class 1 petty offense. A charge of failure to carry and produce a permit and valid photo identification upon demand pursuant to this subsection (2) shall be dismissed by the court if, at or before the permittee's scheduled court appearance, the permittee exhibits to the court a valid permit and valid photo identification, both of which were issued to the permittee prior to the date on which the permittee was charged with failure to carry and produce a permit and valid photo identification upon demand.

(b) The provisions of paragraph (a) of this subsection (2) apply to temporary emergency permits issued pursuant to section 18-12-209.

(3) (a) A person who may lawfully possess a handgun may carry a handgun under the following circumstances without obtaining a permit and the handgun shall not be considered concealed:

(I) The handgun is in the possession of a person who is in a private automobile or in some other private means of conveyance and who carries the handgun for a legal use, including self-defense; or

(II) The handgun is in the possession of a person who is legally engaged in hunting activities within the state.

(b) The provisions of this subsection (3) shall not be construed to authorize the carrying of a handgun in violation of the provisions of section 18-12-105 or 18-12-105.5.

Therefore, if you are carrying concealed and the LEO does not know that, it is none of his business. If he asks you if you have one, you have the right not to answer any questions. If you decide to blurt out, "Yes officer I'm legally carrying at this moment", then he may demand that you hand over your permit and ID. When you do so, the LEO may then proceed to disarm you, you know "for everyone's safety" since a holstered firearm is not safe.

You do what you wish, but you do not have a legal duty to inform the LEO in CO. You only have a duty to provide your permit or ID when an officer asks for it.

Hmmm, read the law on most state websites now as far as this question is concerned. Dont trust a lawyer to define teh law for you. they are in the business of taking your money from you for offering thier "opinion".

Example, in Washington, it is required to provide ID and CPL when requested by a LEO. In Michigan, it is NOT required to ID to LEO's, so even tho I have a CPL in WA., since MI honors my out of state CPL, I have to provide ID and CPL in WA. but not in MI.

But remember, in Washington it must be requested before it's mandatory, key word " requested". If the officer doesn't request your permission slip there is no obligation to voluntarily show it.

As some have said, check the laws of the state you are traveling through, if the state has not per-empted firearms laws, like Washington, then you need to check the municipalities you will be traveling through. Example, in Washington, it is required to provide ID and CPL when requested by a LEO. In Michigan, it is NOT required to ID to LEO's, so even tho I have a CPL in WA., since MI honors my out of state CPL, I have to provide ID and CPL in WA. but not in MI. And beware, most states and municipalities when they do not have laws saying you can, will try to say you CAN"T. This is NOT the way law works, If there is no law regarding open carry, then it IS LEGAL to do so. This is the case in MI.

Ok I responded to this post earlier...but decided to see how different Michigan laws were to Washington...and boy do you really screw the pooch on this one.

Not only did you get Washington laws wrong which I addressed earlier...but you have Michigan's laws wrong too.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(iz...eg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-28-425f

(3) An individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol and who is carrying a concealed pistol or a portable device that uses electro-muscular disruption technology and who is stopped by a peace officer shall immediately disclose to the peace officer that he or she is carrying a pistol or a portable device that uses electro-muscular disruption technology concealed upon his or her person or in his or her vehicle.

(2)In Michigan, if requested you must show Id and cpl. (3)If stopped by an officer you must immediately disclose (must inform state).

At least knowingly stand up for your Rights and break the law with honor...instead of breaking the law ignorantly.

I don't know what is so hard to understand about this issue. Each state is very distinct with their laws regarding this issue and with the availability of internet access finding these state laws are child's play (literally, they can do it easier than we can).
~
I have downloaded all 50 states from the Link Removed website so that I can print each state out when I plan my trips to read and take with me if I need a reference while on the road.
~
Since I am a little OCD and forgetful I run a label maker with ID requirements and post them on my dashboard for quick easy reference. Like I said OCD. This was from my trip to see my father who lives in Arkansas.
~
Link Removed
~
Some day I may get to us all this information I have made ready, since I haven't been pulled over for anything in more than 30+ years. Wolf_fire's advise of not doing anything to get pulled over really is Rule #1.

I don't know what is so hard to understand about this issue. Each state is very distinct with their laws regarding this issue and with the availability of internet access finding these state laws are child's play (literally, they can do it easier than we can).
~
I have downloaded all 50 states from the Link Removed website so that I can print each state out when I plan my trips to read and take with me if I need a reference while on the road.
~
Since I am a little OCD and forgetful I run a label maker with ID requirements and post them on my dashboard for quick easy reference. Like I said OCD. This was from my trip to see my father who lives in Arkansas.
~
Link Removed
~
Some day I may get to us all this information I have made ready, since I haven't been pulled over for anything in more than 30+ years. Wolf_fire's advise of not doing anything to get pulled over really is Rule #1.

That's awesome, but I could never do it. I can never limit notes to myself to only two words! Being probably the most overly-verbose poster on the site, many old-timers should get that as a self-deprecating joke. See? I can't even tell a joke with going into too much detail! LOL

Good job though, dog. Smart too.

Blues

Based on how I carry my cell phone - in a shoulder holster based rig (no longer manufactured) called an E-Holster, I would hand both my driver's license and FCWL to the police when stopped. This would give the officer a heads up that I was carrying, and would defuse the reaction to the cell phone holder.

That's awesome, but I could never do it. I can never limit notes to myself to only two words! Being probably the most overly-verbose poster on the site, many old-timers should get that as a self-deprecating joke. See? I can't even tell a joke with going into too much detail! LOL

Good job though, dog. Smart too.

Blues

Spent my working life paying attention to the details, enough is enough, it already made me a little OCD.
~
But the devil is in the details. Right Blue.

Hands on the wheel until he/she is at the car door, then (only if armed) I tell the officer I'm armed, that I have a license to carry and that the firearm is on my right hip/right front pocket, etc. I've been stopped three times in the 10 years I've been licensed in Texas. None of the officers involved asked to see the gun, asked me to disarm or gave me grief about carrying a gun. I did spend 10 minutes with an Arkansas trooper discussing my choice of a PM9 and whether it might make a good backup for his state-issued sidearm.

Texas requires informing an officer of your CHL ONLY if you are carrying. It shows up when they run your license anyhow ...

That's the law in NC, when interacting with a LEO on an official capacity, inform you have a CHP, and where the gun is, then if requested show state issued ID and CHP. It's not debatable, it is the law.

Best practice is to inform, even when you are unarmed, because especially with traffic stops, they already know you are a CHP holder, if the vehicle is registered to you. They learn this when they run the tag through NCIC before pulling you over.

Michigan is the same way. TomC51 mis-states Michigan law. If an officer stops you in an official capacity, you must notify immediately. If an officer is just talking to you in a non-official manner (i.e. about the weather) there is no need to notify.

My preferred method is I follow my state's requirements for ID when carrying, which is when ASKED by a LEO. The other is to just OC, then there is no question. When, or rather if I get stopped for a traffic issue, then I provide my DL, CPL and insurance. Have had no issues thus far, but then I don't match any lawbreakers profile. The one time I was stopped was a question of stopping at the wrong place at the wrong time, the officer after giving him the 3 pieces of paper only asked, not told, me to leave it in the holster. Follow legal directions and no one gets hurt.

Every state is different as you can see. Haha. With that I'm an Oregon resident so when I'm home and carry I call my brother (he's a police officer) just to make sure on the rules and ask what has changed. With that, my brother always told me it's better to be safe than sorry and when in doubt whip it out ( the permit NOT THE GUN ). In Oregon it's required and if you are respectful they will take less than five minutes and you can be on your way.
No, it is NOT required to notify in Oregon.

I've had chp's in Washington and Oregon for the past 30 years. In that time I've probably had 8-10 roadside conversations with Leo's. The subject of chp's/guns never came up...

My preferred method is I follow my state's requirements for ID when carrying, which is when ASKED by a LEO. The other is to just OC, then there is no question. When, or rather if I get stopped for a traffic issue, then I provide my DL, CPL and insurance. Have had no issues thus far, but then I don't match any lawbreakers profile. The one time I was stopped was a question of stopping at the wrong place at the wrong time, the officer after giving him the 3 pieces of paper only asked, not told, me to leave it in the holster. Follow legal directions and no one gets hurt.

Your preferred method will get you thrown in jail in Michigan. You should follow the laws of the state you are in. In Michigan, only a CPL holder can open carry in a vehicle.

Your preferred method will get you thrown in jail in Michigan. You should follow the laws of the state you are in. In Michigan, only a CPL holder can open carry in a vehicle.

NC is OC solely because there is no law that does not permit OC. There are places where OC is not allowed.

CC in NC is be permit. CC is allowed in places that OC is not. There are also restrictions on CC that are not placed on OC.

In NC, during any 'official' interaction with a LEO (traffic stop being the most common) we must inform and show both ID and CHP upon request. If carrying concealed you can have no alcohol in your system.

There is no law that even requires you have ID on you to OC and while I have not heard of any instances, there is no legal requirement to prove your identify if you are OC. Of course you need your drivers license if you are driving, but as a passenger, or pedestrian, I am not required to have government issued ID on my person. I can also OC in the same vane, as a passenger or pedestrian I don't have to have ID on my person. There is also no law on the book to limit the BAC if you are OC'ing. Of course if you are snockered and OC, I'm sure it won't go well, nor should it.

My preferred method is I follow my state's requirements for ID when carrying, which is when ASKED by a LEO.

Um...his preferred method is to follow state law...that will get you thrown in jail in Michigan?

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back