Shoulder Holsters

Pestilence

Perhaps this topic has been done before but, I am curious to which concealment shoulder holster anyone would recommend; either style of leather or non-leather holsters.

I'm looking to purchase one & need some really good input for it - I'll wear this nearly all the time year round from a temperature range for 20 - 100+ degrees with a lot of humidity in the summer & no, it's not for law enforcement duty but personal protection.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Do you have any preferences that you've identified at all? Like, weapon vertical or horizontal? Single holster or mag-pouch on weak-hand side? Hanging loose or with belt keepers holding it in place? Is it only for concealed carry, or will you be open carrying when it's 100+ degrees? If CC, have you thought about what your cover garment will be in that hot of weather? If you're thinking about a vest for cover, you will find that most arm-holes are big enough to make a lot of the straps visible, and depending on how the weapon and mag-pouch hang, sometimes folks will catch a glimpse of metal or grips or snaps.

Those are a few things that you have to think about and develop your own preferences for. You also didn't mention how much you're willing to spend, but you can pretty much start around $100 bucks and go up from there. You may even have to start higher than $100 bucks. It's a very comfortable way to carry that affords lots of options as far as how you dress, but they ain't cheap generally speaking.

Blues

Seems to me that everyone either loves or hates this method of carry. Question is are you certain this is the carry method you want to utilize? Especially 4 seasons (I can see all seasons except for summer).
I have a single side shoulder holster for one of EDC weapons and it is okay. Wasn't a real expensive holster, but is a custom made leather product. Won't reccomend the maker of this holster because quality could be much better and the holster could fit better.....again, didn't pay an crapload for it but it was just over $100. Won't be buying from that leather maker again due to the lackluster quality.
I also have on order a real top notch, what I anticipate to be a superior quality full leather shoulder holser from Brigade Gun Leather. I have seen some of Brigades leather work and it is phenominal but the wait tmes are very very long. I am willing to put in the wait and pay a bit of a premium for top notch quality products that will last a lifetime. I only purchased the other single side holster as an "in the meantime" holster while I wait for a high quality one.
I am not a fan of nylon, kydex or polymer guns so therefore I go for an all steel gun and high grade leather for my purposes. Just my preference though.
My recomendation is 1) be sure this is the way you want to carry, 2) buy high quality leather products from a reputable leather maker and practice, practice, practice SAFELY.
I, like most people who have carried a while have about a dozen or more holsters for each of my EDC guns and it is very true that not one holster fits all situations. A good leather shoulder holster has its place, but you may find that it won't be the only way to go.
Just do your research, and buy quality or you may be dissapointed.

I'm looking for more infomation on shoulder holsters as well. Does anyone have input on vertical vs horizontal? Vertical looks like it might conceal better but horizontal looks like it may be easier to draw. Are this correct assumptions?

I'm also curious. I like to do distance cycling. Although I have a pack on the bike to hold my weapon I would much rather keep it on my body...and I figured cycling shorts don't allow for IWB lol.

I'm looking for more infomation on shoulder holsters as well. Does anyone have input on vertical vs horizontal? Vertical looks like it might conceal better but horizontal looks like it may be easier to draw. Are this correct assumptions?

In my experience, not really. The size of the weapon being carried contributes more to concealability than whether or not it's vertical or horizontal. The size of the person is a consideration too for that matter. If the person is real skinny, then it's going to be hard to reduce printing whether vertical or horizontal. A thicker person will be able to conceal either method better. An "average" person may find some benefit with one configuration or another, but I've been all three "sizes" in my life, and the difference has been negligible for me. What matters more than anything is the weather. The heavier the clothing, the easier it is to conceal no matter what size the gun or the person is.

I carried a Bianchi X-15 (vertical) single-side rig off and on for 30 years. It was very comfortable and concealed well, but if you wanted reloads, you had to carry them on a belt or pocket. Many years ago I had a double-sided "Jackass" rig for a S&W Model 59, but the gun was ruined in a fire. I bought the rig when I lived in WA State where I had a CWP, but moved back to CA shortly thereafter, so didn't have much experience carrying with it, but it was even more comfortable than the X-15 and I could carry two mags on the weak side. I really liked it, but I got very little use out of it and sold it right after the fire (the rig was with me in the car, in fact all my gun-leather was, because we had been out in the desert shooting the weekend before the fire, and a lot of the guns were out because we hadn't finished cleaning 'em yet. even the ones that were back in cases and/or the safe though, were smoke-damaged beyond my ability to repair). BTW, the "Jackass" design is now the Galco Miami Classic. If I remember right, Jackass sold out to them, but whatever, they're the exact same design.

Blues

I use a shoulder holster for CC and have both horizontal, and vertical holsters. I find that the horizontal is easier to draw, but the vertical conceals better. As for hot summer weather I use the "Larry the cable guy style shirts. I go to a thrift store, find a few nice long sleeve shirts 1-2 sizes larger than I usually wear and cut the sleeves off wearing them over a T shirt. Firearm is concealed, and not too hot.
My holsters aren't leather and didn't cost big bucks.

I primarily carry on the waist now, but have used both DeSantis and Bianchi shoulder holsters in both the vertical and horizontal mode. I still use them from time to time such as when I may be driving for a long period (more comfortable than waist carry while seated and buckled in the car, provides much better access than waist carry, keeps the firearm on my person). I no longer use the horizontal carry mode though, as I just don’t like the muzzle of my firearm “sweeping everything” with a round in the chamber (I’m not saying that mode is unsafe, I just believe the vertical mode is safer and tends to conceal better). I also have an Uncle Mike’s Sidekick which I use for a Ruger .44 that I carry as a backup when hunting for or in the presence of dangerous game. This rig is not “pretty,” but I have found it comfortable and useful, and the salt and stink is easily cleaned out after I have soaked it clear through with sweat, several times over, while on a hunting or fishing trip.
Two recommendations: 1. Don’t skimp on the quality of your holster. For the most part you will get what you pay for here. If possible, find a range/dealer that will let you try a couple of them out before you buy. 2. Invest in some training on drawing from a shoulder rig from a pro. Drawing SAFELY from a shoulder rig is a more complex movement than drawing from the waist. Practice, practice, practice once you know how to do it correctly.

Ok -

There was some very good input from many of you & yes, I did seem to forget some key details so here are the missing details -

My weapon will be carried vertical, I feel it will help with concealment. Single holster with mag-pouch on weak-hand side. Unless there is an option to where it feels like it is hanging loose but can be secured with something other than belt keepers holding it in place. It will be only for concealed carry & yes, I have you thought about what my cover garments will be in that hot of weather. I believe that a good quality holster if it is non-leather should be somewhere in the $100 range & a leather one could be in the $150 - $300 range ??? Either one doesn't matter to me as long as the quality is there - when it comes to protection of self, family & concealment, price isn't the final factor but a key component none the less.

If anyone has name brands with both styles (leather & non-leather) & how your personal experience has been with them & further helpful tips to how you made your selection(s) it is appreciated.

Thanks to all.

Pestilence

I have a Galco vertical holster rig that I use on occasion for my S&W 629 4"barrel. It's comfortable and is well concealed under even a light jacket. A few words of advice though, depending on the weight of your weapon, straps may be necessary, at least with the Galco. I found that I needed to strap the weak hand side to my belt or else the rig would shift too much from the weight on the gun. Also, as others have noted, there are definitely quirks to drawing from a vertical rig, so practice is a good idea. I think the base price for the Galco was around $150 to $170, although in my case I ended up shelling out another $50 or $60 for their speed loader carrier for my weak side as the revolver rig comes with a loose round pouch. Not sure what a semi auto rig comes with. Also another $20 to $30 for the weak side straps.

Check out the "deep concealment shoulder holster at Gun Concealment holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster. I use one for either a j-frame snubbie or a small to medium size automatic. Works great under a shirt, no coat needed. However, it's a little warm in the summer time. Tip -- if you order one, measure correctly so you won't get it too tight. I measured, and it called for a large. I should have got the extra large, as it's a little tight. Well worth the price, and they have a great return policy.

I carried a Hi-Power during cold weather in a shoulder holster under normal winter weight shirts w/o ever being "made". At least no one ever commented. I had to switch to a PPK in an ankle holster year round after some policy changes made getting caught packing a life changing experience.
I still have a dress jacket properly sized to allow carrying a horizontal shoulder holster. I found it easier to use a shoulder rig than a belt holster with a sports coat/dress jacket. My choice for this use is a Star BM due to it's slim profile and shorter overall length.

Check out the "deep concealment shoulder holster at Gun Concealment holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster. I use one for either a j-frame snubbie or a small to medium size automatic. Works great under a shirt, no coat needed. However, it's a little warm in the summer time. Tip -- if you order one, measure correctly so you won't get it too tight. I measured, and it called for a large. I should have got the extra large, as it's a little tight. Well worth the price, and they have a great return policy.

I bought one of these from another company. Warning Will Robinson. If you have Shoulder Trouble You may not be able to draw your weapon out. If I wear a shoulder holster I need a horizontal carry, not a vertical, and these only come in Vertical that I've seen so far.

There seems to be a little bit of confusion on this thread regarding shoulder holsters.
There are three positions of carry w/currently available shoulder holster systems: 1) vertical (muzzle down), 2) horizontal (muzzle parallel to the ground) and 3) canted (muzzle angled upward pointing beyond the armpit to a point over the shoulder).
Galco offers shoulder systems in all three configurations.
The Original Jackass Rig as designed for the Chicago PD is a canted design. It is NOT a horizontal system. The "Miami Classic" IS a horizontal system. The "Miami Classic" is a variant of the Original Jackass Rig and there are currently TWO versions of the "Miami Classic". The original "Miami Classic", as designed for use by Don Johnson on the TV show "Miami Vice", has thinned shoulder straps, and a second version of this same holster that utilizes the thicker shoulder straps of the Original Jackass Rig (for better support for heavier weapons). These two shoulder systems also come with DIFFERENT magazine carriers.
For the most part, these three shoulder holster systems have interchangeable components and can be set up in a number of different configurations to suit the needs of individual users. The Original Jackass Rig's canted design offers somewhat better concealment because it orients the two axes of the handgun (barrel and handgrip) more or less along the axis of the users body.
I own these systems and am intimately familiar with their differences. I hope this helps.

I have a nice rig from Alessi Link Removed Took forever to get it and I think it was around $200 and comes with 2 spare mag holders for my 1911.
Link Removed

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back