Shoot don't shoot

Shoot, Don't Shoot

• Total voters

piesyor

There is a lot of talk on forums like this about when to use deadly force.

Any one carrying concealed show know when to shoot or not shoot.

The one thing I have never seen discussed though is aggressive dogs.

If you have a dog that got out of a back yard or an unlocked door and comes charging at you on a run, barking, growling & baring it's teeth, what would you do?

Are you justified in "dispatching" this animal because you fear Grievous Bodily Harm?

Just curious & want to see what others think.

I KNOW what I would do.

There is a lot of talk on forums like this about when to use deadly force.

Any one carrying concealed show know when to shoot or not shoot.

The one thing I have never seen discussed though is aggressive dogs.

If you have a dog that got out of a back yard or an unlocked door and comes charging at you on a run, barking, growling & baring it's teeth, what would you do?

Are you justified in "dispatching" this animal because you fear Grievous Bodily Harm?

Just curious & want to see what others think.

I KNOW what I would do.

"Don't shoot unless you have no other choice!"

I have actually been put in that exact situation on more than a few occasions when I was a uniformed armed security patrol officer.

On one incident I was responding to a burglar alarm at a private residence. A large 'very angry' dog tried to get me but I was able to narrowly escape the property by running like Carl Lewis and quickly scaling a 6 foot tall & padlocked wrought iron fence.
I tore my best uniform pants in the process but I laughed my a$$ off afterwards because the adrenaline was a real rush.

On another incident I was confronted by a very vicious dog near my patrol car on the public street it started towards my legs so I whipped out my ASP Baton in a very loud & aggressive manner and dared the mutt to come and take me. It backed off while still barking angrily. The owner came out and asked me what WTF was I doing to his dog and I replied very angrily and loudly; "I'm going to fk that g**d**mn dog up if it gets too close to me! You better call it the fk off!" He saw that I was deadly serious and he called his dog back into the house. He called me an a$$hole after that, but I could care less. I have been called far worse... LOL!

On yet another incident I had a burglar alarm in the dark of night. It was a huge gated property. I was about a quarter of the way into the very large backyard when suddenly aggressive barking came from in the house. There where large windows everywhere so I lit up the house with my flashlight and saw a friggin pit bull! Needless to say I immediatly left the property and called it in as a code 4 no problems found. They did not pay me enough to get mauled by a friggin pit bull as far as I was concerned.

I have even had to pepper spray a couple of dogs. It works! :)

Would I shoot an aggressive dog? 'If' I had no other choice, then yes I would.
But if I can get away from the dog, I'll choose escape over using deadly force.

I would try not to shoot the dog. Would only shoot as a last resort.
Depending on the situation It is probably only doing as trained. I would hate for some ******* to shoot my Rottie just because they were stupid enough to come into my (really hers) back yard.

When I was a teen visiting a friend, their blue heeler came at me. I was walking out of their house with her. I saw him coming & punched him in the jaw hard, I knocked him over & he stood threating me but got the point. He ripped a favorite pair of jeans with his tooth. So he was serious.

I carry a stiff horse whip when walking. I figure I would start with that. But if they were threatening the lives of one my MinPins I would put my self in danger first. But if I had 2 I can shoot.

In general, legalities change for different places. So it's best to read the statues yourself and decide what is legal or not. If you don't feel confident in your interpretation, consult an attorney or other gun owners in your community.

As for me, I am like the majority so far. Try and escape, but do not hesitate to stop the threat by any means necessary, up to and including killing the animal. I feel, with my dog experience, I can handle a single dog (most dogs), without the use of a firearm. 2 or more changes the game. I would advise, if dogs are a big part of your community, to educate yourself on the animal. Learn what aggression looks like, and what the demographics of your area are. Dogs are not like firearms, they do not have a trigger that makes them immediately go off...there are warning signs, and attributes prior to most attacks. Just like we try and learn the characteristics of a bad guy, we must do that for violent animals too.

If the poll is based off the scenario in the OP, I would not shoot. If this happened in my community, it's a single dog, with a dwelling, in a nice area, most likely taken care of, I can deal with the dog without the use of my firearm.

In 40+ years of dog rescue, work & rehab, (mostly pits, GSDs & other large breeds), I've been exposed to some VERY dangerous animals. But, I have never been in a predicament where I needed to kill a dog.

The truth is most charges are either PURE bluff or simply a warning. (That's why I love a Pepper "FOAM" or pepper spray because it will quickly & humanely take care of 99.9% of all dog problems.)

I will also say that if a dog is running up while growling, barking or gnashing it's teeth it is most likely a bluff or warning charge. "IF", you stand your ground and DO NOT run "most" dogs will stop short.

On the other hand, a charging animal who has it's head low, ears pinned back & hackles up and back & tail stiff, BUT!---, is NOT growling, barking or gnashing it's teeth, may indeed be coming after you to BITE!

IMHO;
your best bet when caught out in the open and facing a "charging" dog, is to square yourself up against your opponent and take a couple of steps toward the dog, then stop. I usually give a harsh & sharp NNAHH which usually causes a dog to stop cold in it's tracks.

HOWEVER!!!!, if you turn & run or back up & give the dog ANY ground, it will greatly increase your chances of being knocked to the ground and bit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's also important to understand how a dog will attempt a bite if standing your ground fails.

Medium to large dogs will ALWAYS jump during an attack. (This could be a jump to grab an arm, neck, shoulder, rump or face.)

This jumping is what will KNOCK you butt on the ground if your running or backing away! (Being knocked down is the LAST thing you want to happen in a dog attack!)

I have used this to my advantage on numerous occasions and have literally side stepped an attack & knocked the dog out of the air. This usually ends any further attacks. But, it will also buy you time to ready a better defense.

JMH o2c.

I live in a very rural area (closest neighbor is a rifle shot away), and several times a year someone drops off their city dogs or puppies they don't want. Eventually these dogs always will go feral and pack together, and have been known to become dangerous in their attitude and real dangerous to livestock and pets...not unlike the coyotes. I called the sheriff years ago and asked about the policy of hunting them down at one point to thin the herd.... I was told there was no problem in culling ANY unleashed dogs on our property, but did suggest that we buried them deep enough to avoid a bad stink. (I was also offered help in the form of a weekender with some of the locals banding to push and kill. Real neighborly stuff)

In a city situation, I can play several scenarios out in my head, and I'm really not sure what I'd do...I suppose if the critter got close enough to see the fangs and the hair up on the back, and the other usual signs of aggression with no backing down, I'd shoot, and then go get me an iced tea and a reload.

I'm too old to put up with extra vent holes leaking bodily hydraulics, and, spare parts is hard to come by.

so, happy shootin

I had a new neighbor move in next door with a pit-bull mix. Anytime I went outside it would run up to the fence and start barking, I tried to ignore it most of the time but it got old real fast. I did not trust getting to close to the fence when doing yard work if he was outside. This dog also had turned into an escape artist it got to the point that they put an electric fence to try to keep him from escaping. One day as I was backing my motorcycle out of the garage and just set the kick stand and got off to close the door when I turned around and see this dog running towards me. I thought to myself wow this is going to hurt, I watched the dog get closer and wasn't sure if I wanted to run or just hold my ground. I held my ground and as the dog got close to me I placed my arm out to try to show that I was not a threat. I was real surprised when the dog gets to my extended hand and sniffed it, Then he turns around and runs the other way. I was very relieved I had to go change my shorts after he left.
At no point during this ordeal did it consider pulling my gun, like Treo said I would cut the dog more slack than a human.

Draw. Point. Wait. If gets to within striking distance, pull and pull again. Whether or not you had to shoot, make sure you call 911 right away to prevent someone beating you to the call and giving them the ol' "man with a gun" routine...

But then again, I'm no K-9 psychiatrist or psychologist. Hair up, barking/snarling or not, bearing teeth or not? What's he think'n? What's he wanting to do? Running toward you, why? Snarling and galloping toward you, why? Who the f_ _k cares why, large dogs can kill and I flunked the class called "Your adrenaline is being dumped into your blood as the large and vicious acting dog is running at you, learn what his intentions are" class...

Last summer a local off duty cop who was out for a jog, shot and killed a dog who he says came charging at him. He shot the dog dead right there in front of the owners, the children, and the neighbors who were out also enjoying the nice evening weather. Witnesses said the dog walked towards the cop, but was not charging and never left the owner's front yard. The courts sided with the cop. You have a right to protect yourself, but just make sure you are not shooting just to prove a point. Last resort.

Last summer a local off duty cop who was out for a jog, shot and killed a dog who he says came charging at him. He shot the dog dead right there in front of the owners, the children, and the neighbors who were out also enjoying the nice evening weather. Witnesses said the dog walked towards the cop, but was not charging and never left the owner's front yard. The courts sided with the cop. You have a right to protect yourself, but just make sure you are not shooting just to prove a point. Last resort.

That 'cop' sounds like a real over the top a$$hole i.m.h.o.
If I was his boss I would have put him on immediate suspension pending a thorough investigation of the incident.
If he was found to have been an overly aggressive 'hot dog with a gun' I would have requested his immediate termination from the force.
~SMFH~

I'm about to get flamed by the "He man Woman Haters Club" for saying this but I'd take a bite before shooting.

My rationale is, if I take the bite there's no way anyone can say I wasn't justified in shooting.

One of my biggest pet pet peeves is people that let their dogs (or cats) run loose because the people never pay for it the animal always does.

I've made my position on MMOB crystal clear on this forum but that is one of the few exceptions I will always say something about that.

I'm about to get flamed by the "He man Woman Haters Club" for saying this but I'd take a bite before shooting.

My rationale is, if I take the bite there's no way anyone can say I wasn't justified in shooting.

One of my biggest pet pet peeves is people that let their dogs (or cats) run loose because the people never pay for it the animal always does....

No flame from me.

Plus 1

One of my biggest pet pet peeves is people that let their dogs (or cats) run loose because the people never pay for it the animal always does.

I've made my position on MMOB crystal clear on this forum but that is one of the few exceptions I will always say something about that.

I hope you enjoy those rabbies shots, Treo
That's if you live thru the attack.

In short...No I would not shoot a charging dog. Am I prepared to shoot and kill a dog if absolutely necessary, yes. Most 'aggressive' dogs I've encountered are not truly aggressive..they are bluffers and antagonists. As a bluffer its all about dominance. As an antagonists its all about instigating a 'game' of chase, where they are the predator and you are the prey. Intelligent and logical humans can win the game with a dog as long as they don't panic and remain calm and assertive.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back