Shell Gas Clerk Protect's Himself from Knife Weilding Attacker...Clerk is Fired.

The_Outlaw

~The Dude Abides~
Shell gas-station Clerk (Armed with a CHL & a Ruger LCP) make's a 'conscious choice' to defend himself from a knife wielding attacker...Clerk is then terminated from his job of over 10 year's by his gutless anti 2nd-amendment employer.

The brave & intelligent clerk replied that "He just wanted to be able to safely go back home to his family and that he would rather be alive and out of a job than dead or seriously injured".

Link Removed

OoRah! I just wish that he would have put a few slug's into that knife weilding scumbag for good measure.

I hope his employer is happy when another clerk is killed because he had no way to defend himself. Note to self: Don't fill up at Shell stations.

who boycott Shell? This is the policy of the one store owner, not Shell. Perhaps picketing the specific store, demanding the owner rehire his faithful and brave employee.

Almost all places like this (gas stations, retail, banks, etc) have a strict policy that you do not resist a robbery in any way. You're supposed to do exactly what the person says, then of course report the incident after the person leaves. The idea is that it's the safest way to go for everyone involved.

Yeah I think it's kind of lame that a person gets fired for defending them self, but good or bad, policy is policy. :unsure:

I think you're correct here!
Almost all places like this (gas stations, retail, banks, etc) have a strict policy that you do not resist a robbery in any way. You're supposed to do exactly what the person says, then of course report the incident after the person leaves. The idea is that it's the safest way to go for everyone involved.

Yeah I think it's kind of lame that a person gets fired for defending them self, but good or bad, policy is policy. :unsure:

who boycott Shell? This is the policy of the one store owner, not Shell. Perhaps picketing the specific store, demanding the owner rehire his faithful and brave employee.

It said they asked "something-Energy" for a statement, I couldn't make it out in the video, but it didn't sound like a single store owner. Doesn't matter, there's no Shell stations around me anyway.

It would be a nice touch if some other company in the Nashua area reached out and offered him a job because they are proud of him.

Damn, 10 years with one company and they fire him for protecting himself AND having the restraint NOT to shoot even though he would have been justified.

I understand the policy, the logic being that the company assumes (a) that otherwise the employee will get hurt and (b) if the perp is hurt he'll sue. On the other hand, with some of these people there is no guarantee that after you give them the $98 in the till they still won't shoot/knife/beat you to a pulp.

Shell gas-station Clerk (Armed with a CHL & a Ruger LCP) make's a 'conscious choice' to defend himself from a knife wielding attacker...Clerk is then terminated from his job of over 10 year's by his gutless anti 2nd-amendment employer.

The brave & intelligent clerk replied that "He just wanted to be able to safely go back home to his family and that he would rather be alive and out of a job than dead or seriously injured".

Link Removed

OoRah! I just wish that he would have put a few slug's into that knife weilding scumbag for good measure.

He had due cause. It's unfortunate that his company fired him BUT, they had due cause as well. NOT that I agree with their stance but it is a private property owners right. Their business, their regs, their rights.

now if the bad guys would realize that they do not need to hurt or kill a clerk.seems everyone knows by now that store policy is to hand over the money and not resist.but i guess crooks cant comprehend that if they go in yelling and putting the gun in the clerks face that the clerk is going to have problems opening cash drawer or safe,then everything goes south from there.if the crook can be calm and stern and everyone goes home tonight.

now i am sure a owner/operator type store cashier might be more willing to fight for the money.and store owners how about investing a little more in your cameras.

I believe from what I read on another site the manager/ maybe owner and distract manager stood up for the guy and it was the Shell Company policy that got him fired.

now if the bad guys would realize that they do not need to hurt or kill a clerk.seems everyone knows by now that store policy is to hand over the money and not resist.but i guess crooks cant comprehend that if they go in yelling and putting the gun in the clerks face that the clerk is going to have problems opening cash drawer or safe,then everything goes south from there.if the crook can be calm and stern and everyone goes home tonight.

now i am sure a owner/operator type store cashier might be more willing to fight for the money.and store owners how about investing a little more in your cameras.

Did you just give a lesson on how we are to be sheep for the bad guys??? :blink:

I believe from what I read on another site the manager/ maybe owner and distract manager stood up for the guy and it was the Shell Company policy that got him fired.

You would be correct. Nouria Energy fired him with less than 1 days worth of deliberation. His manager and district manager went to bat for him but Nouria Energy execs fired him. This story explains that and shows how the town is going to hold a rally for Cothran.

Link Removed

Did you just give a lesson on how we are to be sheep for the bad guys??? :blink:

Naw not me.it was written as a libtard (and crook)euphoria.its worse than a no gun sign, advertisng to the masses that not only do we not allow guns by our clerks but we also punish them for resistance.people seem more shocked by the "brazen" crook calmly robbing them in the middle of the day. but thats the open door policy they advertise with every clerk fired and every reminder of theiir policy that "our clerks are instructed to hand it over.theres customer service for you.

I hope his employer is happy when another clerk is killed because he had no way to defend himself. Note to self: Don't fill up at Shell stations.

As some on this forum would say, that's just the cost of doing business. At least the station owner is safe, and he can always hire another clerk if something happens. The clerks knew the chances they were taking when they took a job with an employer who will not let employees defend themselves.

This is why I continue to argue that businesses should not be treated like truly private property (one's home). It goes beyond letting a thief just take the money. Once upon a time, that was what most business invasions were about. The bad guy broke into your business, held the clerk at gun or knife point as they forced them to open the drawer or safe, took the money and split. Today, however, it is more likely that the bad guy, after getting the money, is going to kill the employee anyway. I simply can't fathom how a business owner, particularly one who supposedly believes in the right to carry for one's own defense, can live with themselves if an employee dies because the owner would not allow the employee to defend him/her self. That's just not a message I want to give to give to a surviving family member: "I want you to know that your loved one was a valued employee, and you can be proud of him/her - they obeyed company policy right up to the end and died without fighting back." That's not as facetious as it might sound.

If this is such a good policy, then let the owners work out front in full compliance with their own policies instead of in the back where THEY have a chance to get away unharmed.

Even though he has a valid New Hampshire permit to carry his Ruger pistol, Cothran was still fired for violating the company policy that prohibits him from carrying it at the store.

Bad policy. But, he had the option of leaving the job rather than complying with the policy. What he didn't have was the right to ignore the policy while remaining employed.

I wouldn't hire a guy like that because I wouldn't know what policies he would and would not follow. Simply put, he can't be trusted because he doesn't have the integrity to either comply or openly confront the policy.

When he grows up and owns a gas station he can then set his own policy.

Bad policy. But, he had the option of leaving the job rather than complying with the policy. What he didn't have was the right to ignore the policy while remaining employed.

I wouldn't hire a guy like that because I wouldn't know what policies he would and would not follow. Simply put, he can't be trusted because he doesn't have the integrity to either comply or openly confront the policy.

He had every right to ignore some stupid policy that could have gotten him killed or seriously injured imvho.
Simply put, he proved that he could be trusted as an employee (that's why he worked for them for over 10 years).
He appears to have way more integrity than some people on this forum (who shall remain nameless).

I would say that the fact that his store and district managers went to bat for him is an indicator that he was a VERY reliable and trustworthy employee.

He had due cause. It's unfortunate that his company fired him BUT, they had due cause as well. NOT that I agree with their stance but it is a private property owners right. Their business, their regs, their rights.

there are no property rights in America. definitely no Business property rights. but the laws are on the side of the company. i do wonder if he could sue for endangerment? i would doubt it

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back