Self-Defense Tactics For An Enraged Attacker/The Myth of Stopping Power

With the latest incidents regarding people eating other people and guys gutting themselves and throwing chunks at the cops, I thought this would be of interest to some folks. It comes down to these two paragraphs:

"We have known for over a century that handgun rounds are not effective man-stoppers regardless of caliber, but writers and trainers continue to expound the virtues of one caliber or another. I recently had a very well-known instructor try to convince me the .45 will stop a determined attacker nine out of 10 times with a solid torso hit–even though I have a file full of cases that directly contradict this assertion."

"In a fight for your life, expect nothing to work and be prepared to do something else if you wish to prevail. Like bullets, we have known for centuries that the person who will win in conflict is not the one with the most gadgets or training: It is the more ruthless who will go to extremes to prevail. Unfortunately, such ruthlessness is seldom seen as reasonable in the eyes of the protected public. Good luck."

Link Removed

A Single round from most handguns will rarely kill or immediately disable an attacker. There takes a certain amount of time for damage to cause loss of ability to fight (such as blood loss), thus many attackers may continue to fight for several minutes despite upper COM hits. This is precisely why we recommend to shoot until the threat is stopped. Never, to kill wound or warn an attacker.

Get, you some of them teflon coated, nuclear powered. illegal black talon bullets.

They'll stop Godzilla w/ one shot.

That's why I put more than one round in gun! One round might not stop an attacker, but a magazine full should.

Great read Wyldekard, it goes to a saying of Col. Cooper Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” ....... in order to survive violence one must be willing and able to let the Ugly out.

Black Talons are Illegal & Nuclear Powered?? Oh crap, I have two full boxes of those Godzilla killers. Now I'm worried, not about Godzilla anymore but for how much jail time I'm gonna get & Radiation sickness, jk.

The rule for self defense with a handgun is to keep deploying your tactics until the attacker stops - irregardless of how many rounds that takes. You have to take on the persona of an attacker and turn the tides and make a victim if you choose to survive.

Get, you some of them teflon coated, nuclear powered. illegal black talon bullets.

They'll stop Godzilla w/ one shot.
Not sure if your post is sarcasm or not, but erring on the side that its not and to prevent the perpetuating of fallacies and urban myths...

Black Talon's aren't illegal and were not Teflon Coated.....Winchester bowed to criticism and pulled them from the market. You can still get the same round without the Lubalox coating though..they are the Winchester SXT Rounds. Read more here.

i would hope an attacker would have the sense to stop after being hit once but ya never know what they want to do and or are capable of doing
be safe

Not sure if your post is sarcasm or not,

Not sure if your dog has some uuuuuuuuggggllllyyyy lips or not :biggrin:

C'mon man nuclear powered should have given you some kind of clue

BTW your dog rocks!!!!!!!

i would hope an attacker would have the sense to stop after being hit once but ya never know what they want to do and or are capable of doing
be safe

Don't count on bad guys having any more common sense than your socks, plus in a drug stupor they get even dumber and more dangerous. As stated above, plan on emptying your magazine if necessary and quite possibly put your normal civilized mentality on hold if neede to survive an attack.

In cases where pain compliance doesn't work, I recommend the dislocation and breaking of joints. They may not feel it, but it's hard to continue fighting when you can't stand up and your arms don't work.

A Single round from most handguns will rarely kill or immediately disable an attacker. There takes a certain amount of time for damage to cause loss of ability to fight (such as blood loss), thus many attackers may continue to fight for several minutes despite upper COM hits. This is precisely why we recommend to shoot until the threat is stopped. Never, to kill wound or warn an attacker.

Zimmerman recently demonstrated that one 9mm round to the heart from less than 3 feet will certainly kill an athlete within seconds.

So imagine what a 45ACP, or 40, or 10mm, or 357, or 44 rem mag, or 50AE, or 500 would do?

Don't count on bad guys having any more common sense than your socks, plus in a drug stupor they get even dumber and more dangerous. As stated above, plan on emptying your magazine if necessary and quite possibly put your normal civilized mentality on hold if neede to survive an attack.

Drugged out is why the larger calibres (45ACP etc) were created for. Together with a double or triple tap.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back