Scary incident today

Guns are serious, dangerous tools that command attention and respect at all times. Good there wasn't much damage to personnel or property. Hopefully everyone present learned a lesson. In truth these things can happen to anyone who is too casual with a firearm. I've seen a Marine Colonel blow off three toes with a shotgun while hunting back home, probably more humiliating that painful. Sh!t happens, but that doesn't mean it has to.

Yup, we had a scary incident here today, too. I'll not go into details, but education, practice, and range time is the key, the key, and the key!

Today I was noticing a bunch of little pock marks on the wall adjacent to the accidental discharge. Found a few little bits of copper jacket scattered around on the floor. I'm sure glad the bullet didn't skip off the ground; I have a few boxes of MRE's in the closet right in front of the place he shot! :eek:

having been shot once by a idiot who had been drinking,he made the mistake of useing a .22 snub nose revolver and shot me just above the elbow inside my left arm as i had my arms out away from my body trying to calm him down. he will never use a hand gun again at least not with his right hand, after i broke his nose and he was on his hands and knee's i put my enginer boot's to use on the offending hand and wore his ribs out as well! it took 6 months for the hole in my arm to heal up. i have a problem with idiots with guns ever since!:mad:

I am half-way paying attention, when suddenly his rifle discharges into the floor about 18" away from my foot!!!

Anytime anyone around me is handling a weapon I am always alert.

Many years ago I was at a party where the home owner was showing off his prize possessions to several guests. Walked into the living room and was handed the handgun that was currently being passed around. Cycled the slide to verify that it was unloaded and was completely floored when a live round was ejected. Left soon after that, didn't want to be around when someone "accidently" shoots themselves. That incident was a quite a reminder how important gun handling skills are.

Glad everyone was all right.

[QUOTE

Slap your friend around some and tell him what a f*cktard he was!! Glad your okay![/QUOTE]

+1 and F@*&tard....that was priceless...haven't heard that in awhile....btw you owe me a keyboard as mine is now covered with ice tea....lol

My rule of checking, and my second rule of "its always loaded, whether its loaded or not" is good enough for me because I follow them, and if anyone around me doesn't follow suit, I will leave the area and never be around them when they are handling a weapon again.

Maybe you should have a rule of no live ammo in the same room when demonstrating firearm operation as recommended by the NRA.

It would have saved you typing the story of how your friend had an AD..

Frankly, if I'm somewhere where someone starts "cycling" rounds thru a firearm, I'm gone! Glad ya'll are ok, of course, but that's a scary scenario, to me.

Someone asks to see my sidearm, I unload it, lock back the slide, and hand it to 'em. I don't mind doing this, but no way do any rounds come any near the weapon. And I don't care who it is, my LEO acquaintances get the same treatment as my non-gun-toting friends. Just me.

I don't personally like the term, "Accidental Discharge," when talking about people being careless and firing a round off in their living room. There is no accidental discharge in my eyes, only a negligent discharge. That's the term we use in the military, and that's the term that I will always use regarding a situation like the OP mentioned. Accident implies that nobody was at fault, and I see accidental discharges a hang-fire, cook-off, etc. When somebody intentionally pulls that trigger, it is no accident if the gun fires. It's just not one of those things you simply say, "Oops."

Just what all the anti-gun advocates talk about. Irresponsible people with guns. I'd be willing to bet he's done this before, but this time the unmentionable happens. The police should have made a visit, and your "Friend" shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a gun. Does he conceal carry? Another scary thought if he does. He can't be trusted. Trying to "PROVE HIS POINT" with a loaded weapon - what a fool. You too, for allowing him to do it.

Last edited:
Every firearm is loaded. Period. Unless I make sure it isn't. The one with the firearm in his hand is resposible for making sure it is safe.

I think that at one time or another we have either done something stupid like that or know someone who has done something stupid like that. The operative word is STUPID. Let this be a lesson to us all. The more comfortable we become with firearms the more corners we may cut...but cut at our own parel.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back