Right Actions?

Recently here in Oklahoma a man was shot and killed at a public range. All of his weapons stolen. The range is just off a highway but blocked from view by trees. Apparently he was shot from behind, never heard or saw them coming. I won't go to that range alone or unarmed. Also agree not sharing guns with strangers is a safe policy.

Romans 8:37

Also agree not sharing guns with strangers is a safe policy.

Up to a point, if there's a lot of people at the range and I get to talking to you, yes I'll let you shoot my weapon.

If you and I are the only two people there and you come out of no where and ask?

Not so much

……… Then the guy tells me, "I didn’t know you needed a permit for a gun". (He had a revolver he was shooting.)

So now I'm thinking the guy had an unregistered gun, which is illegal in NY. I packed up my guns and got out of dodge. There was no cell service there, so I called the police when I got service telling them what happened and I gave them a plate number.
I've been playing this over in my head. Did I handle this right? We were the only two people at a range out in the mountains, and I must admit the thought he would try to take my gun crossed my mind due to him not having a permit.

I’ve read the thread; so I already know how things turned out; but, I’m going to answer this as if I didn’t already know the conclusion:

Remember the infamous 1986, ‘FBI Miami Gunfight’? *1. Guess where Platt and Matix got several of their guns from? They shot two target shooters at a backwoods Florida gravel pit and took theirs. Two of my closest friends would, quite possibly, be dead right now if they didn’t have the habit of carrying a backup pistol while they were at isolated outdoor target ranges. I’ve had a few close calls, too; but I, also, have a remarkable way of being a, ‘dirt magnet’; so, I tend to be habitually a little more cautious.

Two years ago we had a murder committed, here, at a State Game Lands Range in Carlisle, PA. *2. The fellow who was murdered was shot in the back with a center-fire rifle from about 50 yards away. Then, while he was dying, he was repeatedly shot, again, execution style. The victim was minding his own business; concentrating on his targets; and, most likely, never knew what hit him, or why! The reason for this murder? The two guys who shot him liked his new AR rifle.

Remote outdoor shooting ranges are NO PLACE to go to make new friends or to, ‘talk guns’ with other shooters you meet on the line. Sure, most of us have done this; but, it almost goes without saying, that you have to be very careful when you do. As far as handing your gun to a stranger? I’ve had numerous people hand me their guns; but, we were (almost) never alone when someone did this; and, besides, I’ve got NRA Instructor and Life Member patches all over my shooting jackets.

Have I ever handed one of my guns to someone else? Yes I have, but never to a stranger, and never while I was alone with a person, or persons, whom I didn’t know well. Outside of a teaching or club match environment, handing your gun to someone else is just not something a savvy shooter should do - Especially not in this day and age!

To be honest, that’s why I asked for opinions. The only reason I called was because the guy was acting a bit weird after telling me he didn't have a permit. After I called though, I began thinking I missed a "teachable moment" about handgun laws. Btw- my wife said the same thing as you and Treo when I told her about it.

Look, as far as I’m concerned YOU were the one who was there. Something about the guy obviously bothered you. I’m not going to play, ‘Monday morning quarterback’ on this. (Besides, apparently you have very good personal instincts.)

I’m, probably, a lot older than you. During my long life I’ve called the police on exactly one target range shooter who (Trust me!) richly deserved to be turned in. The WCO (game warden) who wrote him up repeatedly thanked me for not doing nothing the way, he said, most people would have done. The way I looked at things I had, probably, saved someone’s life.

Go with gut, as previously stated none of us were there, if you feel you did right based on your experience then let your mind sit at ease.

Perfect answer!

Once, long ago, I let a complete stranger shoot my pistol. We traded and I shot his, too. A couple of years ago, I let someone shoot my Browning BDM. I didn't know him, but it is a private range and you need a combination to get in. Also, the whole family was there and they had at least $10,000 worth of guns there at the time. I felt OK doing it.

Yeah, in a public environment I’m more comfortable doing that too.

Someone asked about being armed while shooting. I always have one loaded in a holster or in my hand, with a loaded mag on the belt.

I’ll bet it’s been more than 40 years since I’ve gone to a shooting range without carrying a backup pistol (Sometimes two backup pistols!).

Well I can rest assured I did the right thing. I called the club president after I called the police. He followed up with the police department and called me back this evening. The person I had reported was a convicted felon. He was arrested at the club the day I reported him. The revolver he had was reported stolen. The club filed trespassing charges because he was not a member as well.

While many Americans do have the luxury of owning firearms that are not listed on a permit, in NY we don't. I really hope national carry is approved, but in the mean time state's rights rule. I'm glad i made the right call. Something did not feel right, that’s why I called the police.

Classic! (You just had to lay that one on everybody - Didn’t you!) :supergrin:

* 1. 1986 FBI Miami shootout - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

* 2. Cumberlink.com: Shooting victim was Penn State Dickinson School of Law grad

* 2. Link Removed

NEVER NEVER NEVER give your weapon up to someone you do not know...

Even if you unload it...You just handed your protection away.

This could have had a bad ending had you done so!

(you did the right thing)

To be honest, thats why i asked for opinions. The only reason I called was because the guy was acting a bit weird after telling me he didn'g have a permit. After I called though, I began thinking I missed a "teachable moment" about handgun laws.

Btw- my wife said the same thing as you and Treo when I told her about it.

Darn! I hate it when I do something silly and my wife calls me on it! :haha:

But I do absolutely agree. NEVER give up your firearm to a stranger.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back