Restaurant carry bill introduced

rt48

Today, House Bill 203 was introduced in the Ohio House of Representatives. This allows licensees to carry in restaurants that serve alcohol as long as they don't consume alcohol.

Here is the bill:

Link Removed

Please contact your State Representative and ask him/her to support HB 203. If you don't know who your representative is, visit the House web site and plug in your zip code in the box in the right column.

The Ohio House of Representatives

WOW sucks for you guys. That you need to have a bill passed to be able to carry in a restaurant/bars. Man do i love my state.

Ohioans for Concealed Carry have posted an article about the bill on their web site.

Link Removed

cool, keep us updated please, disarming is a pain, and the only ppl that will listen to these laws, as they are now, are law abiding citizens....
i wish banks and diners, and other business would understand this

Hope this goes through.

It will be nice to not have to disarm to go to dinner with the family.

The first committee hearing for HB 203 is Thursday, November 5. Any Ohioan that wants restaurant carry needs to be contacting their state representative.

Link Removed

Well I attended the first reading in in the committee yesterday. Two more readings wil be required before it goes up for vote in the house. It is basically up to the committee chair as to whether or not this thing sees any movement.

Due for another reading the 19th I believe hope to see everyone there to show support.

I received a notification from the NRA that this bill was to be heard on Wednesday the 24th of March. I have not been able to find any information on what has happened since then. Here is the text of the email I received from the NRA.
****************************************************************************************************

Concealed Carry Reform Legislation to be Heard Tomorrow in Ohio!
Please Contact the Members of the Senate Judiciary - Criminal Justice Committee Today!
On Wednesday, March 24, at 10:15 a.m. in the South Hearing Room, the Senate Judiciary - Criminal Justice Committee will be hearing sponsor testimony on Link Removed, which would make numerous pro-gun improvements to Ohio’s gun laws.

SB239, sponsored by State Senators Shannon Jones (R-7) and Tim Shaffer (R-31), would eliminate the current confusing standards of carrying a firearm in a motor vehicle. In addition, the proposal would also allow permit holders to carry a firearm for self-defense in a restaurant that serves alcohol, provided they are not consuming, thus eliminating another “victim zone” in Ohio.
Ohio has overly burdensome stipulations regarding how a concealed firearm must be carried in a motor vehicle. Current law specifies that a firearm must be either be:

1.) In a holster secured on the person.

2.) In a closed case, bag, box, or other container that is in plain sight and that has a lid, a cover, or a closing mechanism with a zipper, snap, or buckle, which must be opened for a person to gain access to the handgun.

3.) The loaded handgun is securely encased by being stored in a closed glove compartment or center console, or in a case that is locked. A locked case does not need to be in plain sight (an unlocked case does).

SB239 is a critical step forward to help assure that Ohio permit holders or permit holders of other states are not arrested for accidentally carrying their firearm in a prohibited manner.
Please contact the members of the Senate Judiciary - Criminal Justice Committee TODAY and respectfully urge them to support SB239. Contact information for the committee can be found below.

State Senator Tim Grendell (R-18), Chair
(614) 644-7718
[email protected]

State Senator Jim Hughes (R-16), Vice Chair
(614) 466-5981
[email protected]

State Senator Nina Turner (D-25)
(614) 466-4583
[email protected]

State Senator Kevin Coughlin (R-27)
(614) 466-4823
[email protected]