Remington shotguns safe?

XD40FAN

I watched the brian Williams show last night and the whole time I heard these horror stories of these people having a mishap with the safety on I thought to myself that person broke two if the ten commandments. 1 never point the muzzle at anything you don't want to destroy and 2 if you are not in use of the firearm it is to be unloaded and on safe. Is the world going nuts? Just because a car has an emergency brake doesn't mean set it then put the car in drive and mash the gas! When are people going to be responsible for themselves?

I watched the brian Williams show last night and the whole time I heard these horror stories of these people having a mishap with the safety on I thought to myself that person broke two if the ten commandments. 1 never point the muzzle at anything you don't want to destroy and 2 if you are not in use of the firearm it is to be unloaded and on safe. Is the world going nuts? Just because a car has an emergency brake doesn't mean set it then put the car in drive and mash the gas! When are people going to be responsible for themselves?

I've heard of this issue with the 700 rifles. Now they have issues with their shotguns also?

I'm with ya XD. If everyone followed safe gun rules, nobody would get "accidentally" shot. Don't point a gun at anything you don't intend to destroy, and keep your finger off of the trigger until you're ready to fire. Simple. This is why a lot of people complain so hard about Glocks. "they're SO dangerous. THEY DON'T HAVE A SAFETY". Stupid. People want to blame everything on someone else.

I watched Rock Center with Brian Williams last night as well. This issue was also covered on an hour-long documentary called Remington: Under Fire that I think aired on MSNBC several months ago but that one focused soley on rifles, last night was rifles and shotguns, 20 models in all including the Remington 870. The issue is an alleged defect in the firing system that allows the guns to fire without the trigger being pulled, safety on and/or off. Some went off after being dropped or cleaned. I saw video of Army marksmanship training, the soldier being filmed had a fail to fire and called it out to the officer overseeing the training, he was instructed to put the weapon on safe and as soon as his finger touched the safety, nowhere near the trigger, and BANG it went off. There were several tragic stories and this problem appears to be authentic. Remington was notified of this issue 50 years ago yet fails to admit or make attempts to recall. There have been many lawsuits and Remington has paid up but under confidentiality agreements. This reply is already too long so just watch them yourselves, very interesting and thought provoking.

The amazing thing is that people still watch NBC, or that they would take any of their reports seriously without confirmation from a reliable source.

Guns DO NOT simply "go off", unless significant pressure has been applied to the trigger (you know, that hooked shaped thing inside the trigger guard?) which releases the hammer or striker which sends a firing pin to impact the primer on a loaded cartridge.
If a person pulls the trigger and a round fails to fire, the hammer or striker could likely have been released and simply jammed, then ANY interaction with the firearm may cause the jam to release and the hammer travels the remaining distance to the firing pin.
Therefore, even if you have a fail-to-fire, make sure the firearm is always pointed in a safe direction until it can be determined what caused the malfunction.
At any time during your determination the firearm just may fire a round down range.
Like Nightmare45 said "The safety is between your ears and not mechanical. "

These stories about Remington have circulated for about 5 yrs as I recall. I seriously doubt that they are true, but I strongly suspect that a some incidents from mishandling and or tinkering have happened. The press is not to be trusted on issues about firearms!!!!!

I have a 1100 and 870 with thousands of rounds through them, never an issue. Dads 700 he has had for many years and has an untold amount through, never an issue. I haven't experienced this, neither has he. Sooooo idk.

NBC has a long history of attacking the firearm Mfg.s and firearm owners in general. I have the Police Remington 12 Gauge 870, I removed the bolt and inspected the FCG. Nothing looked like it was damaged or had been installed wrong. Then I cocked the hammer and banged it down hard also did it again and again. It did not disengage the hammer. To me this again is just another attack by NBC on a firearm Mfg. because NBC headquarters is located in NYC, and their rich City Mayor Bloomberg hates all firearms and their Mfg.s. I called Remington in N.C. and discussed the NBC show, told them my feeling on the subject. They told me this type of attack from NBC was nothing new and it just shows how they mislead the public. The people who own Remington products know that when people do dumb thing with a firearm, many time it turns out bad for them. Very seldom it's the firearm that is to blame.

Personally own two 870's one home defense one hunting and 1 1100 as well as 700, have had no issues with any of said weapons and most of my hunting buddies have similar weapons.

Caribou:299379 said:
The amazing thing is that people still watch NBC, or that they would take any of their reports seriously without confirmation from a reliable source.
Amen! I refuse to watch the propagandist trash on MSNBC.

Documents Reveal Remington Wrestled with Potential Gun Safety Problems for Decades

Link Removed

No matter safety was on if you are going to take it off safety maybe you should make sure it's pointed down in a safe place, just in case.

In October, 2000, nine-year-old Gus Barber was killed on a family hunting trip when his mother switched off the safety to unload her Remington 700 and the gun went off, according to the family and official accounts of the incident. Barbara Barber said her hand was away from the trigger and the rifle was pointed away from the rest of the family, into an empty horse trailer. But at the worst possible moment, Gus had run behind the trailer, directly in the path of the bullet.

Mrs. Barber still cannot bring herself to speak publicly about the accident, but her husband, Rich Barber, has spent the past ten years learning all he could about the Remington 700. He has compiled thousands of pages of documents, which he provided to CNBC.

I guess it makes the family feel better to place the blame on Remington.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back