Relocating to WA

SouthernEmpire

I have been lurking around the forums here for some time and have gained a lot of useful info from everyone here. I have been searching for an answer to a question and have not seen a situation come up similar to mine and was hoping somebody would have some insight.

I will be relocating to WA from CA in a few weeks and am excited to be in a state that recognizes the constitution. I will be switching my DL over to a WA state DL within a day or so of arriving. I would like to apply for my CPL as soon as I receive the DL in the mail. My question is: Although I will have a WA state DL in hand, would I still be subject to the 60 waiting period as I will not have been a resident for the previous 90 days?

On another note, anyone have experience with the Renton Fish & Game Club? That will be the closest range to where I will be and may like to join.

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Welcome to WA. The requirement is 90 days as a resident. It is a shall issue state so it's pretty straight forward Link Removed

Sent using 2 cans and string

RCW 9.41.070
Concealed pistol license — Application — Fee — Renewal.

(1) The chief of police of a municipality or the sheriff of a county shall within thirty days after the filing of an application of any person, issue a license to such person to carry a pistol concealed on his or her person within this state for five years from date of issue, for the purposes of protection or while engaged in business, sport, or while traveling. However, if the applicant does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or Washington state identification card or has not been a resident of the state for the previous consecutive ninety days, the issuing authority shall have up to sixty days after the filing of the application to issue a license. The issuing authority shall not refuse to accept completed applications for concealed pistol licenses during regular business hours.

The Renton Fish and Game Club is good. It's been awhile since I've been there. Welcome to Washington!

Here is an advance welcome to Washington!
I don't think you will have a problem with getting your CPL.
In Washington State, you can apply for and be issued a Non-Resident CPL even before you get your Washington address or DL, it is just that the background check will take up to 60 days rather than 30. But once you have your WA/DL in hand you can apply for your CPL. It does not say that you can not use the paper temporary DL that will be issued when you switch over, so you may be able to get your CPL right away.
I find it strange that the info says if you do not have a WA/DL or ID you have to prove you have resided in the state for 90 days. LOL If you are going to be a resident. You are supposed to get a DL or ID within 90 days.. LOL Sounds like a catch 22.
Here is a link to the information about applying.
Link Removed

It's an or not an and. You must be a resident of the state for the previous consecutive 90 days however if u don't have your wa dl u can apply for a non-resident card, also u can apply anyway with your wa dl for a cpl anyway it's up to the local jurisdiction however wether they make u wait the full 90 days. They have to notify you within 60 if your a non resident or don't have a wa dl

Most issuing authorities don't have any issues giving them out though so long as your eligible

I moved to the Tri Cities 07/14/2011. Applied and received my DL 7/28/2011. Applied and received my CCP 8/11/11. I had to gather some receipts and stuff to figure out the timing, but those are pretty accurate approximations.

It took only a month after I moved to Washington to recieve my CPL. And HI to Firefighterchen, long time no see.

I relocated to eastern Washington 3 years ago from California as well. A few months ago I got my concealed pistol permit in my city of Pasco. I went in Friday morning and it was ready the next Wednesday. The police department told me they were the fastest in the state. I have friends in neighboring towns who had to wait between 30 days or more. Welcome to Washington!

I relocated to eastern Washington 3 years ago from California as well. A few months ago I got my concealed pistol permit in my city of Pasco. I went in Friday morning and it was ready the next Wednesday. The police department told me they were the fastest in the state. I have friends in neighboring towns who had to wait between 30 days or more. Welcome to Washington!

Pasco is pretty damn fast aren't they? I believe it took them 6 days for me as well :) Maybe we will see each other around town. I open carry...so if you are CC'ing with your permit I won't be able to tell it's you, but don't be afraid to come up and say hi! How bout them lightening storms the past couple of days?!?!?!?!

It took only a month after I moved to Washington to recieve my CPL. And HI to Firefighterchen, long time no see.

Hello there SANTA. Sorry I have not made my way up north again recently...too much time spent testing and making redundant trips west to Seattle :-/ Are you getting the crazy lightening and thunder storms up there?

Thank you to everyone for the great info! I was a bit confused between the wording on the DOL website and the RCW language, but thanks for the help on clearing it up.

I have an address in WA and will be switching my residency ASAP. Leaving CA and not looking back!

Thanks again for all the help!

Welcome.

I like the layout at Renton Fish and Game. Almost bought the brick house right outside the fence by the rifle range parking lot. Im just s few miles North of where you'll be. I currently use the Kenmore Shooting Range.

I moved to WA from AZ, and I had to wait ninety days to apply for my WA CPL. The process is insanely simple. You fill out the application. the police or sheriff where you apply prints yo and you pay about $60 or so. Within thirty days, you receive your license, good for five years. You do not even have to prove you know which end of the bullets face forward in a gun. HAving been a deputy sheriff in AZ and taken the original class to my CCW Permit. it sort of scares me that 225,000 WA residents are armed, and there is no proof they know how or when they may use lethal force. Welcome to Washington, Lewis County, close to Oregon.

I moved to WA from AZ, and I had to wait ninety days to apply for my WA CPL. The process is insanely simple. You fill out the application. the police or sheriff where you apply prints yo and you pay about $60 or so. Within thirty days, you receive your license, good for five years. You do not even have to prove you know which end of the bullets face forward in a gun. HAving been a deputy sheriff in AZ and taken the original class to my CCW Permit. it sort of scares me that 225,000 WA residents are armed, and there is no proof they know how or when they may use lethal force. Welcome to Washington, Lewis County, close to Oregon.

I think it's fantastic that this state doesn't infringe on our rights like other states that requiring training. It's amazing how we have so many "untrained" firearm owners and we still do not have blood running the streets anymore than places who require "appropriate, reasonable, and acceptable" infringements.

Hello there SANTA. Sorry I have not made my way up north again recently...too much time spent testing and making redundant trips west to Seattle :-/ Are you getting the crazy lightening and thunder storms up there?[/QUOTE]

Last night the weather radar showed RED and ORANGE over us. The rain was very hard and there was lightening every 5-10 seconds. My dogs did not like it one bit. But I always enjoy a good light show. We will get together soon, just bring your shootin-sticks.

I moved to WA from AZ, and I had to wait ninety days to apply for my WA CPL.

Why did you HAVE to wait 90 days to apply? There is no such requirement in law that a person must be a resident for 90 days before applying. Less than 90 days residency or no residency at all means the time allowed to do the background check goes up from 30 days to 60 days. That is all. RCW 9.41.070 quoted in post #3.

Hey NavyLCDR, I was told you were off on a cruise. Back already? Im still recovering with a torn muscle and 3 broken ribs. But any day above ground is a good day. You are correct that more time is allowed for the background check, but if completed the issueing agency can issue the permit sooner. That is what happened to me.

Hey NavyLCDR, I was told you were off on a cruise. Back already? Im still recovering with a torn muscle and 3 broken ribs. But any day above ground is a good day. You are correct that more time is allowed for the background check, but if completed the issueing agency can issue the permit sooner. That is what happened to me.

On work ups, not cruise, yet. Actually I am posting from on board USS Nimitz. 03-146-4-Q, stop by if you are in the area, two doors down from the chapel, I'll buy you a cup o' Joe!

On work ups, not cruise, yet. Actually I am posting from on board USS Nimitz. 03-146-4-Q, stop by if you are in the area, two doors down from the chapel, I'll buy you a cup o' Joe!

If you can get the CO to let me say a service at the chapel I will take you up on that. But I must warn you that I like my coffee very strong, strong enough to eat through the armour on a main battle tank. Be safe and keep posting.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back