Range Rules

Providence Ranch

Does anyone else out there find the typical "no loaded firearms behind the firing line" rule at most ranges annoying? I don't appreciate being stripped of my right to carry a loaded firearm anywhere, especially at a place where I KNOW other guns are present and being fired. Id much rather go find a nice quiet spot out in the wilderness and shoot there. And I usually do!

Yes, I know there are idiots out there, but why not state the rule as "No loaded longuns behind the firing line. Pistols behind the firing line must be secured in a case or properly holstered at all times."

Just a thought...

I see how it is annoying, but I think on private property the people that face the liability of an incident are fully within their rights to make the rules. I don't see it as being stripped of your rights, you have the choice to not participate.

If the range is public I'm not sure who would be liable there, but I am still a believer in following the rules.

If it is holstered at your range can it be loaded? I can see not handling a loaded gun behind the firing line, but having a loaded holstered gun should be fine and is at my range.

This was discussed a while back. I'll usually keep one of my CC pistols on top in my range bag and simply drop the mag once I walk inside. When I'm finished and ready to leave, I simply pop the mag back in as I'm walking out the door. It's even easier using one of my revolvers and a speed-loader.

I figure I have 2 alternatives:

1. Don't go to the range (not happening).
2. Ignore the signs and keep a loaded pistol in my pocket. (also not happening since I choose to respect the rights of others).

"No loaded firearms behind the firing line"

Does anyone else out there find the typical "no loaded firearms behind the firing line" rule at most ranges annoying? I don't appreciate being stripped of my right to carry a loaded firearm anywhere, especially at a place where I KNOW other guns are present and being fired. Id much rather go find a nice quiet spot out in the wilderness and shoot there. And I usually do!

Yes, I know there are idiots out there, but why not state the rule as "No loaded longuns behind the firing line. Pistols behind the firing line must be secured in a case or properly holstered at all times."

Just a thought...

Doesn't annoy me. I ignore that sign as I believe it pertains to the guns you are USING at the range. It is a safety issue, which I respect, since there are enough idiots in the world who have accidentally shot someone at the range. However, the gun that I am concealing is not a safety issue since it remains in my holster while I am shooting.

BTW, I am always carrying concealed at the range and practicing with a separate gun. Just don't like the feeling of being "naked."

My local private range allows CHL's to carry loaded within their facility. Rentals must be unloaded with actions open while entering or leaving the range area.

i believe the whole idea is "safety" .. if you break the 180 plane in a competition match it is an automatic DQ (disqualified) .. how many times have you been at a range and the guy next to you break the 180 with his loaded gun and its pointed right at you .. all guns HAVE to be pointed down range when loaded period .. you may not keep your finger on the trigger but what about the shooter next to you .. and as far as long guns, you need to keep the bolt locked back and empty if not shooting .. it really is just protecting your butt from shooters that sweep you and could have an AD (accidental discharge) .. also what is to keep the other shooter who has THEIR loaded pistol in his holster and he pulls it out and BAM there is an AD? .. not everyone is safety conscious as more experienced shooters .. chit happens ..
Stay Safe
SB

The ranges I frequent understand that a lot of people that come have a CFP so the rule is "No handling loaded firearms behind the firing line."

(Even with that I cannot count the number of times I have been swept by some moron that decides he can't wait 10 seconds to walk from a table where he's loaded several magazines until he gets to the line to load one of them.)

I would recommend this change to the range management as an alternative to accommodate those that can, and do, carry.

My range is similar. Big sign posted on the door states all CCW holders must keep them concealed. I went to the range Saturday and had my conceled weapon on me the entire time. No rules broken.

Well, it must be another affect of being in California. One more reason to add to my list of reasons to live elsewhere, when the time is right.

The range signs that really irk me are these: ALL FIREARMS ARE LOADED, NO EXCEPTIONS. I got an indoor range and gun shop in Albuquerque to change their sign that said that when I pointed out that it means that I can't come into their shop with an unloaded gun. They meant, of course, that all guns are TO BE TREATED AS LOADED. But I pointed out that it does NOT say that. They changed it.

CharlieK:240152 said:
The range signs that really irk me are these: ALL FIREARMS ARE LOADED, NO EXCEPTIONS. I got an indoor range and gun shop in Albuquerque to change their sign that said that when I pointed out that it means that I can't come into their shop with an unloaded gun. They meant, of course, that all guns are TO BE TREATED AS LOADED. But I pointed out that it does NOT say that. They changed it.
You should treat all firearms as if they were loaded. Its a gun way to keep from shooting yourself or someone else! To correct spelling --- Its a "Good" way!

The only time I have seen this become an issue at our range is during competition. (And I agree with it as it is a huge safety issue.) If you are out there shooting by yourself or one or two other people, there has never been a problem.

At the county range that I go to on occasion, they're very strict. There are big, highly visible signs all over the place that state very clearly that no loaded weapons are permitted until you're at the firing line. All weapons are inspected by range officers when the shooter arrives (no, the don't pat you down for CC pistols) and anyone found with a hot firearm will be told to leave. I've seen it happen 3 times and the ROs tell me it occurs almost daily.

It's scary because these shooters either don't have a clue about basic firearm safety, don't care, or are just completely ignorant as to the status of their guns. I'm not sure which is worse.

I dont like others telling me how to handle my gun, so I shoot in the wilderness.
Not to start an argument, but in my opinion, the logic behind these rules is the same logic behind the anti-gun laws. They both assume gun owners are irresponsible and that guns kill. A range officer assumes I am stupid and cant have a loaded gun behind the line just like an anti-gun liberal thinks I shouldnt have a gun, or it should stay unloaded in my home.

Deserteagle:240229 said:
I dont like others telling me how to handle my gun, so I shoot in the wilderness.
Not to start an argument, but in my opinion, the logic behind these rules is the same logic behind the anti-gun laws. They both assume gun owners are irresponsible and that guns kill. A range officer assumes I am stupid and cant have a loaded gun behind the line just like an anti-gun liberal thinks I shouldnt have a gun, or it should stay unloaded in my home.

You're not starting an argument with me: you pretty much spoke my mind. I too choose to shoot with family or trusted friends in the wilderness. Only shoot on the range for a class or to requalify.

I trust myself and I'd probably trust you when it comes to firearm safety. I don't trust Joe Schmoe out there wandering around without a clue. I'd much rather be out in the sticks shooting at stumps but that option isn't available to me. As a result it's the ranges and their rules for me.

The outdoor gun club I belong to has a "no loaded handguns allowed on site, all handguns to be unloaded and locked unless actively used in competition".

Good thing concealed means concealed, the insurance sucking twits.

Hey Guys: You are in a gun shop or at a range where most if not all the persons there are thinking about shooting a firearm. The inclination to have that thought front and center puts the mindset one step closer to actually using a firearm, as opposed to walking down the street CC. IMO, that "one step closer" in mindset is one step closer to actually handling your firearm, something you would not be doing if you were walking around in an ice cream parlor or a department store; it is "one step closer" to actually having the firearm discharge. I hope I got my point across; that is my perception of a possible reason for such restrictions.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back