Quick access safe that can attach to the wall behind my bed?

telpinaro

I've been looking for quite some time to find a quick-access safe that I can mount on the wall behind my bed rather than having one just sitting on my nightstand that can be carried off. I've found a couple that I like, but they're out of my price range, a GunVault or preferably the FAS1. I'll save up and get them at some point, but sooner is better than later. Especially since it's already later... some crazy winter expenses and stuff breaking have made things rather difficult. Anyone know of anything less expensive that will still be secure enough? I know you get what you pay for, but never hurts to ask. Maybe I overlooked something.

I looked at the FAS1 and it looks very similar to the ShotLock which also has a handgun safe. The FAS1 site shows a price of $229 and the ShotLock site shows a price of $169. Not really a drastic savings but if you can find a deal on one somewhere then it might be the bargain you are looking for. I didn't compare the types of metal used and other aspects. I do have the ShotLock for my shotgun and I like it. I think any small safe like that can be broken into or ripped out from the wall if someone has enough time and determination to put forth the effort and do it. Someone who is looking to get in and out ASAP will leave it behind after a few good tugs.

Good luck.

I looked at the FAS1 and it looks very similar to the ShotLock which also has a handgun safe. The FAS1 site shows a price of $229 and the ShotLock site shows a price of $169. Not really a drastic savings but if you can find a deal on one somewhere then it might be the bargain you are looking for. I didn't compare the types of metal used and other aspects. I do have the ShotLock for my shotgun and I like it. I think any small safe like that can be broken into or ripped out from the wall if someone has enough time and determination to put forth the effort and do it. Someone who is looking to get in and out ASAP will leave it behind after a few good tugs.

Good luck.

Definitely better... Hadn't seen that one. I was going to get one of the larger FAS1 so it fits my revolver and someday a full-size .45, which is more like $249. And making it too difficult to take is the goal... At least until I've really saved up and got a real safe that will hold everything! That will take quite some time, though... :smile:

I don't remember where I ordered mine from but I do remember that when I was looking for one Costso and the Costco website had the best prices when they had them in stock. You might want to try looking on their website; I can't remember if non-members can purchase from their website but I think they can but the prices are increased a little.

Just a thought but if you’re planning to upgrade at some point anyway perhaps a keyed entry safe would be a better alternative in the interim. You can get a simple lock box at Wal Mart for 30 bucks or so and just leave the key in the lock at night. Then when you are able to you upgrade straight to the safe you want without spending 100+ bucks for something you know you’re going to get rid of pretty much ASAP.

Just a thought but if you’re planning to upgrade at some point anyway perhaps a keyed entry safe would be a better alternative in the interim. You can get a simple lock box at Wal Mart for 30 bucks or so and just leave the key in the lock at night. Then when you are able to you upgrade straight to the safe you want without spending 100+ bucks for something you know you’re going to get rid of pretty much ASAP.

Right now I'm just looking for a quality bedside safe, and was hoping there was something for a bit less than most of the ones I'd seen. I've already got a cheap one like you mentioned, just to keep the kid out of it. I trust him, he's smart and he knows what to do, but he's almost seven. So just in case.

The upgrade I mentioned was to a full-size-holds-everything-and-is-over-$1k safe... so it'll be a few years! Besides, I'd still need a by-the-bed safe.

There's some good suggestions in this USA Carry blog post from a couple years ago, though I didn't see prices listed. I just skimmed it though. I did see a comment that warned against the biometric type locks because, well....there's only six comments so you can read it if you're interested.

The Fort Knox Pistol Box is quick access, can mount on a wall or under a vehicle seat (or any other flat floor surface in a vehicle), it holds two guns plus extra mags, and is can be had new with free shipping from Amazon for $199, which sounds like it's more than you want to spend, but it does fit your criteria. A happy customer uploaded this picture to the sales page:

Link Removed

Link Removed looks like it would hold two guns and otherwise seems to fit your criteria. Just a little over $100 bucks. (Link goes to unnamed auction site)

There are tons of in-wall pistol safes that are fairly cheap (~$50 - ~$175) if you search Google, auction sites or Amazon. The in-wall ones require a bit of installation hassle, but if you're even moderately handy with a tape measure, drywall saw and screwdriver, you'd have it up in less than an hour.

Hope that helps.

Blues

There's some good suggestions in this USA Carry blog post from a couple years ago, though I didn't see prices listed. I just skimmed it though. I did see a comment that warned against the biometric type locks because, well....there's only six comments so you can read it if you're interested.

The Fort Knox Pistol Box is quick access, can mount on a wall or under a vehicle seat (or any other flat floor surface in a vehicle), it holds two guns plus extra mags, and is can be had new with free shipping from Amazon for $199, which sounds like it's more than you want to spend, but it does fit your criteria. A happy customer uploaded this picture to the sales page:

Link Removed

Link Removed looks like it would hold two guns and otherwise seems to fit your criteria. Just a little over $100 bucks. (Link goes to unnamed auction site)

There are tons of in-wall pistol safes that are fairly cheap (~$50 - ~$175) if you search Google, auction sites or Amazon. The in-wall ones require a bit of installation hassle, but if you're even moderately handy with a tape measure, drywall saw and screwdriver, you'd have it up in less than an hour.

Hope that helps.

Blues

Thanks! Yeah, as someone who's played a bit with the software side of biometrics... not going to go with them, even if they weren't twice as expensive. You can either program them to have a high false-positive rate (meaning the wrong person gets read as correct) or a high false-negative rate (the correct print gets read as wrong), or try to find a balance in between and hope it works.

I love the in-wall safes, and while I'm actually pretty handy, my walls are weird. I'm sure there must be studs in there somewhere, but I have issues finding them. With a stud finder. Two of them. And they may not be thick enough for most wall safes. I'm up for most projects and minor repairs, especially around the barn. But my house is odd.

I'm sure there must be studs in there somewhere, but I have issues finding them. With a stud finder. Two of them.

Take a 3/4 inch finish nail along the base board and pop it through the drywall until you find 2 studs relatively close to where you want the safe (you're gonna have to do dry wall repairs anyway)

I've been looking for quite some time to find a quick-access safe that I can mount on the wall behind my bed rather than having one just sitting on my nightstand that can be carried off.

I was going to get one of the larger FAS1 so it fits my revolver and someday a full-size .45, which is more like $249. And making it too difficult to take is the goal...

The FAS1 will accommodate up to a full size 1911, Glock 21, etc. If your revolver is a 3" barrel or shorter and is a small to medium frame like a Ruger SP101 or Chiappa Rhino it will fit as well. All FAS1 safes will fit at least two guns inside, with one being in the holster and one to the side. Watch for a sale in the next week or so with the introduction of the first handgun safe designed for a suppressed handgun, the FAS1-SBD.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/FAS1SAFECOM/247921546874

Link Removed

The one pictured is a FAS1-Magnum which is a 1/2" wider and 1" longer for a medium to large frame 4" revolver like a Ruger GP100, S&W 629 or anything smaller (depending on which holster used).

I use a V-Line. It has a manual keypad. http://gunsafestore.com/v-line-compact-pistol-safe-279-s-blk.html

Link Removed
y6aqupu6.jpg

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back